Players meeting & ideas

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
An ideas thread for the 1st Annual OnePocket.Org get together..

A thought came to me in the middle of the night so I'm tossing it out for opinions... / table talk...

We could certainly cut to the chase a lot quicker without a players meeting or a Calcutta, considering we are approaching a number of players which will definitely be difficult to play out in the original two days that were scheduled... Will stretching it to 3 days cause a rub with anyone, because it sure looks like we are going to have to ask permission to add Friday to the schedule... Will Lacy's be alright with the added day...

# 1. We could take care of the players meeting right here on site...couldn't we...
# 2. The Calcutta... After all, it ain't a pro tournament, it's a member gathering...Who wants one...Who doesn't...Put it to a vote...Yes or no...

Without the players meeting or the Calcutta to worry about, ( assuming the no vote wins ) we could arrive at Lacy's around noon on Friday, or earlier if they will open for us, practice on the equipment and meet other members, then about 3:30 have the bracket draw and start the 1st round at 4:00 PM Complete the race to 3 or 4, then about 7;30 or 8:00 have the dinner :):):) for all members in that special room that Lacy's has for just such occasions...

That way nobody goes home the 1st night and we all get a good nights rest for Saturdays marathon of matches... With the possible exception of Disco, watch out for his cue Dave, who has to fulfill a full dance card of side action :D:)

What say yee...

PS. :sorry John, I'm meddlin again...:)

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

A thought came to me in the middle of the night so I'm tossing it out for opinions... / table talk...

We could certainly cut to the chase a lot quicker without a players meeting or a Calcutta, considering we are approaching a number of players which will definitely be difficult to play out in the original two days that were scheduled... Will stretching it to 3 days cause a rub with anyone, because it sure looks like we are going to have to ask permission to add Friday to the schedule... Will Lacy's be alright with the added day...

# 1. We could take care of the players meeting right here on site...couldn't we...
# 2. The Calcutta... After all, it ain't a pro tournament, it's a member gathering...Who wants one...Who doesn't...Put it to a vote...Yes or no...

Without the players meeting or the Calcutta to worry about, ( assuming the no vote wins ) we could arrive at Lacy's around noon on Friday, or earlier if they will open for us, practice on the equipment and meet other members, then about 3:30 have the bracket draw and start the 1st round at 4:00 PM Complete the race to 3 or 4, then about 7;30 or 8:00 have the dinner :):):) for all members in that special room that Lacy's has for just such occasions...

That way nobody goes home the 1st night and we all get a good nights rest for Saturdays marathon of matches... With the possible exception of Disco, watch out for his cue Dave, who has to fulfill a full dance card of side action :D:)

What say yee...

any friday activity gotta be later on imo. west coasters, philly coasters, stl coasters most likely coming in late afternoon/evening....
:D.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i'm down for some of that cajun grub.....

any seafood i ever get here in the rust belt gives me the shits...

i wanna eat a mudbug....

:D

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
i'm down for some of that cajun grub.....

any seafood i ever get here in the rust belt gives me the shits...

i wanna eat a mudbug....

:D

I ain't crazy bout dem mud bugs, dey not got hole lotta flavor lest ya suk the heads....but dem blue crab and shrimp done up Cajun style gonna got toe up if we hab em... Ooh wee, now dats sum good eatin.... :):):)

I pitchin hard as I can Boudreaux, dey gonna decide wat dey wanna eat...

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

What say yee...

Good ideas Jeff

I think a 32 player cap.

I'm not interested in a Calcutta.

Lacy's isn't that busy Friday night. We could have FaceTime blind draw a few days before the tournament and possibly have a few matches Friday with players that can be there Friday.

Lets hammer out any optional rules now.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Good ideas Jeff

I think a 32 player cap.

I'm not interested in a Calcutta.

Lacy's isn't that busy Friday night. We could have FaceTime blind draw a few days before the tournament and possibly have a few matches Friday with players that can be there Friday.

Lets hammer out any optional rules now.

Thanks Jim,

As far as the rules go, I'm good with whatever DCC uses for one pocket...
What others things are normally addressed at players meetings...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Good idea to work it out early. No Calcutta for me. While I will be in a little action, this is a social event more than anything else.

Players that want a bigger payday can set up a side pot for $100/200 each or whatever.

I would however enter into a side pot for players 77 and over.:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't care anything about a calcutta. To me they're just a waste of tournament time. However they are big in the South. But, speaking for myself, in a tournament with real good players I'm not likely to finish in the top 4-6, so I'm not going to bet on myself. And since I'm not usually there at the end to possibly collect, I rarely bet on anyone else either. This event will have at least half a dozen very good players participating, so that makes my calcutta decision for me.;)

For those who want a dinner, it might be wise to have it on Friday night. That way there won't have to be a break in Saturday's action. Perhaps Joe will speak to Frank about a crawfish or crab boil. But since the establishment is providing us the venue with free pool time, early opening, and internet, I think we should plan to spend some money there so that he can get some revenue from us.

As far as the rules, we already have our rules posted here on the site.

~Doc

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Doing without the calcutta is fine with me. Having the dinner Fri Nite is a good idea. Missing the dinner wouldn't mean missing the tournament.

We know the rules (base of the ball or all-the-way?) We could see who's there Fri nite, and after the draw, probably get some 1st round matches in Fri night among those there. If no calcutta, no reason to delay draw, but we would need either last-minute confirmations -say Wed and Thur -- or prepaid entries. If we have people who no-show last minute, the drawn opponent gets a 1st round bye... no big deal.

MVJohn

Last edited:

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
I'm okay with no Calcutta.

Whole ball must be past the headstring to be legal on a scratch.

Not a fan of rerack when making ball on the break. What's wrong with playing it like its been for hunnert years? These new kids are whiners if they can't live with that.

Crawfish are mighty tasty NO style and take less work than crabs to get into.

How bout let's hear from West coasters themselves if Friday play is deal breaker or not.

Disco Dave gets a game on the wire from everyone (or Break and BIH). :heh

1pwannabe

Verified Member
As this is mostly a 1p.org get together type tournament, I'm good with the following to keep it to Sat/Sun only:

* Players meeting in the forum here beforehand. If you miss it here, you probably aren't a 1p.org member, or at least you're a bad one.

* Races to 2 both brackets. It's for fun, we all seem to agree to that. Finals can be whatever the finalists agree to, if they have time then they can race to 20 if they want.

* No calcutta or a blind bid one where it's all done ahead of time once the final player list comes out. Email your blind bid to whomever and the highest bid wins that player. That makes it more fun anyway.

* Get as many tables as possible Sat/Sun. We can pay green fees if needed to reserve all the 9'.

* Use 1p rules posted on here: 1p.org rules

* Limit entries to people who've posted on 1p.org forums anytime from 2011-2016 with a cutoff of June 1st 2016. That's 5 years to have proven yourself a contributing member...

These are just ideas, feel free to disagree.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
No Calcutta
Race to three on the winners
Race to two on the loser
Full ball
$50 surcharge for playing on stream table,, each player
Play starting Fri eve, OK

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
The WPA uses "base" of the ball. The DCC uses "face" of the ball. I've always used the "base", but the "face" is okay with me. I suspect that most use the "face".;)

~Doc

Are you bringing a "special" set of balls? I have never seen any pool balls with faces on them.:lol