New to me

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
A young fellow I was playing yesterday shot a shot I'd never seen in 50 or so years of one pocket. I'm sure some have seen it and this is for those that haven't.
I warned him he was very close and might foul if he tried to draw the CB.
He held the stick straight up and made the ball and didn't foul.
Rod.
P.S. He shot it with his back to his pocket.

Attachments

• ScreenShot004.jpg
    ScreenShot004.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
It's called a, "Piqu'e" in "Carom," "Balkline" and "1 Cushion" billiards. It's somewhat like a "Soft" Masse.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
I've done that a few times - works well when the balls are REALLY close together. Since it's essentially a masse shot, it's difficult to control the distance (and maybe the exact direction) the cue ball travels. This is also a way of getting "after contact masse" on the CB - say if you want to get straight in on the other object ball, you could hit downward on that side of the CB to move it over that way (instead of drawing it straight back as you show).

Bob Jewett has described another method of avoiding the double hit when the balls are a little farther apart (say a couple of inches). Line up with your tip almost touching the CB, then rest the butt of the stick on the rail and move your grip hand up until it's just an inch or two from the rail. Then stroke the shot normally but let your grip hand run into the rail, stopping your stroke with only an inch or two of followthrough. (Obviously, you only want to use this technique when you're not shooting very hard, or you'll end up with a sore grip hand!)

A third way is to use more than maximum sidespin with the draw, intentionally miscueing to the side to get the tip out of the way of the CB as it comes back. But this way you risk being called for an intentional miscue foul. (I think this is called a "fouette".)

pj
chgo

TomRoden

Verified Member
i saw a guy....

i saw a guy....

he set that same shot up. the cueball was something like 3/8 of an inch away. With a flat cue he made his ball and power drew the ball three rails back to his opponents pocket. It brought the house down. The cue ball travelled like twenty feet !
His name , if I remember, was Scott Swarthmore from Arkansas or Oklahoma. A real flashy dresser, green leather jacket and all.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
A young fellow I was playing yesterday shot a shot I'd never seen in 50 or so years of one pocket. I'm sure some have seen it and this is for those that haven't.
I warned him he was very close and might foul if he tried to draw the CB.
He held the stick straight up and made the ball and didn't foul.
Rod.
P.S. He shot it with his back to his pocket.

rod
thanks for posting the shot
:)

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
he set that same shot up. the cueball was something like 3/8 of an inch away. With a flat cue he made his ball and power drew the ball three rails back to his opponents pocket. It brought the house down. The cue ball travelled like twenty feet !
His name , if I remember, was Scott Swarthmore from Arkansas or Oklahoma. A real flashy dresser, green leather jacket and all.

About that drawing or following the CB when the CB and OB are less than an 1/2 inch apart, WITHOUT a foul being committed.

Here's a video of mine from 1983, naturally on 3 Cushion table, but the same principle of drawing and following the CB without fouling applies! The shots I'm referring to are at marks, 0:22, 0:32, 1:16, 2:07 and 2:18, the entire video is only, 2:27 in length. These are ALL examples of the shot most likely similar you saw this fellow do. In the examples in the video, the CB and OB are NO further away than, 1/4 inch!

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvxNUWPjBg

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
About that drawing or following the CB when the CB and OB are less than an 1/2 inch apart, WITHOUT a foul being committed.

Here's a video of mine from 1983, naturally on 3 Cushion table, but the same principle of drawing and following the CB without fouling applies! The shots I'm referring to are at marks, 0:22, 0:32, 1:16, 2:07 and 2:18, the entire video is only, 2:27 in length. These are ALL examples of the shot most likely similar you saw this fellow do. In the examples in the video, the CB and OB are NO further away than, 1/4 inch!

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQvxNUWPjBg

nice shooting bill
kudos.jpg