My action yesterday

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Well, I had been on a bit of a winning streak over the last month or so (playing a few hours at a time on a Saturday or Sunday only), but they snapped me off yesterday :frus

I was getting 9-7 from someone I have played that way before a few times (I won the first time, he won the second time and we broke even the 3rd time) so it was a good game and I knew I had to play good to win.

The frustrating part is that I had a chance early in the first set to win. I was the first to the shot twice but either missed the ball or got one and done. So instead he took the early lead, got more confidence and momentum and ran over me.

On a side note and something I wanted to ask others here is about the spot. After I lost the first set, I still wanted to play but felt I had the worst of it so I asked to adjust and I would play another. He gave me 10-8 and the breaks. I was hesitant at first because now I have to go to another ball and I don't run the balls anywhere close to as good as he does. But I did like the idea of getting to break every game and never letting him break so I took the bait and lost that set 4-0 (was ugly) and as I played worse he played better like it always goes. We were racing to 4 for $100.

Anyways, my 2 part question is this:

1) Although the spot in the 2nd set seemed better, with me having to go to an extra ball, is it really that much better?

2) I have not heard of this one before but he said since I got the breaks I had to alternate pockets and not break to the same one every game. I agreed and although it did not change anything really, (in fact my breaks to the opposite pocket were very good ones), I just wondered is that a standard practice or something he just made up on the fly to increase his odds? He said that's the way you are supposed to do it...

Oh well, time to start my new winning streak later today or next weekend! :)

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i will let the others give a more experienced answer to your first question but if the break is worth 1-2 balls (unless you break poorly)
then going to 10/8 and you get to break is reasonable
if he doesnt have alot of trouble getting out of your break
then he forces you to go one more ball and the break advantage isnt that strong
and really still favors him
my 2 cents
as for part 2
having you alternate pockets is not uncommon so that you dont groove your break to one pocket and also dont always shoot to the same pocket
and if you pick the "better" pocket you dont get it every game

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Well, I had been on a bit of a winning streak over the last month or so (playing a few hours at a time on a Saturday or Sunday only), but they snapped me off ye

1) Although the spot in the 2nd set seemed better, with me having to go to an extra ball, is it really that much better?

Shit no. Tell him it has to be 9-7 AND the breaks or he can jam it next time...

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Well, I had been on a bit of a winning streak over the last month or so (playing a few hours at a time on a Saturday or Sunday only), but they snapped me off yesterday :frus

I was getting 9-7 from someone I have played that way before a few times (I won the first time, he won the second time and we broke even the 3rd time) so it was a good game and I knew I had to play good to win.

The frustrating part is that I had a chance early in the first set to win. I was the first to the shot twice but either missed the ball or got one and done. So instead he took the early lead, got more confidence and momentum and ran over me.

On a side note and something I wanted to ask others here is about the spot. After I lost the first set, I still wanted to play but felt I had the worst of it so I asked to adjust and I would play another. He gave me 10-8 and the breaks. I was hesitant at first because now I have to go to another ball and I don't run the balls anywhere close to as good as he does. But I did like the idea of getting to break every game and never letting him break so I took the bait and lost that set 4-0 (was ugly) and as I played worse he played better like it always goes. We were racing to 4 for $100.

2) I have not heard of this one before but he said since I got the breaks I had to alternate pockets and not break to the same one every game. I agreed and although it did not change anything really, (in fact my breaks to the opposite pocket were very good ones), I just wondered is that a standard practice or something he just made up on the fly to increase his odds? He said that's the way you are supposed to do it...

You have a stronger game playing 9/7, you're getting 1/2 of the breaks at that game already and only going to 7... 10/8 plus all the breaks for someone that does not run balls well is worse than 1/2 the breaks and 9/7... Jmo

Alternating pockets is normal, especially if the table has a better pocket...

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
You have a stronger game playing 9/7, you're getting 1/2 of the breaks at that game already and only going to 7... 10/8 plus all the breaks for someone that does not run balls well is worse than 1/2 the breaks and 9/7... Jmo

Alternating pockets is normal, especially if the table has a better pocket...

Jeff, Though this part of your statement is true. At the 9 -7 game, the spotter is getting the breaks the other half of the time. This will pretty much negate the handicap half the time. At 10 - 8 you maintain the handicap every game even though that handicap is slightly less than before. 10 - 8 and all the snaps is a much better game for the guy getting the weight.

Many players say the two most important shots in One Pocket are the first shot (the break) and the shot immediately following. Maybe in this case it came down to who did what better. Then again, maybe it just came down to unforced errors throughout the set. The blame doesn't always fall on the handicap especially if you've played close three times before.

Tom

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Jeff, Though this part of your statement is true. At the 9 -7 game, the spotter is getting the breaks the other half of the time. This will pretty much negate the handicap half the time. At 10 - 8 you maintain the handicap every game even though that handicap is slightly less than before. 10 - 8 and all the snaps is a much better game for the guy getting the weight.

Many players say the two most important shots in One Pocket are the first shot (the break) and the shot immediately following. Maybe in this case it came down to who did what better. Then again, maybe it just came down to unforced errors throughout the set. The blame doesn't always fall on the handicap especially if you've played close three times before.

Tom

This is what I think, too. I don't think the number of times you get stuck on 7 and lose is nearly enough to offset the value of taking half the breaks away from a stronger opponent, which is half the value of having the break.

In evaluating these things, I think we often overlook the relatively small number of times we get stuck needing one ball. The actual cost of needing to make that ball is only the number of times we get stuck one short.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I think you have to be honest first with analyzing your game.
What are you strong points. What are your weakest.
Start with the Beginning, Middle, and End game.
If youre strong with getting out of breaks then maybe 9/7 will be best.
If youre weak there getting the breaks is probably for you.
If your end game is in your favor you might like 9/7 possibly getting to the hill faster. Particularly if your opponent is an impatient ball striker.
If your middle game is weak (ball running) you might want him to go to 10 with a strategy to play an uphill game.

u12armresl

Verified Member
So you played one set that you said you had a chance to win, got beat, and asked for more weight?

beatle

Verified Member
if its an even game it is the same as flipping coins. so you would expect to get stuck a few sets regularly.

however after playing someone only a few times you dont have a big enough sample to determine who is really best if it is kind of a close game between you two.

so it is entirely possible and after your getting romped you originally had the worst of the game and it has just caught up with you.

also if the game is only even when you are playing well and winning, but you dog it when stuck then the game isnt an even one. unless you always quit as soon as you get stuck. which is what most should do anyway as every game you get stuck makes it very more likely you are in a bad game.

this simple reasoning which is correct is why most all pool players are broke.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks for the replies guys!

Basically at 9-7, I have the worst of it but I started playing this guy originally just because anyone I can play that is better than me, I typically jump up because I feel in the long run my game will improve by doing so especially when I can play cheap at $10 a game. However when we decided to raise the stakes a little this time, it was more about winning the cheese so after losing the first set in a match up where not only I think I have the worst of the game but others do too, yes I asked for more weight.

In fact, a different guy I played yesterday gave me 9-6 (and beat me) and he plays even with the other guy that gave me 10-8 and the snappers. So I told the first guy last night who was in there watching that I will take 10-7 and the breaks or 9-6...we will see if we still have action but I can't play with less than that.

I think I break fairly well but I also think I get out of the break fairly well too so that really didn't come into play. In fact, in most of my match ups, I think I out move my opponents and always get to the first shot before them. My weak points and what I need to work on the most are once I get that first shot, making sure I capitalize on it. I end up either missing the ball or have a chance to get 5 and end up getting one due to poor position play.

But above all, I still love this darn game, win or lose...and when I lose it just gives me more motivation to get better so I can win the next time.

Thanks for the comments again guys!