US Open One Pocket -- who's going?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I expect these guys to be there, because they are already signed up. Apparently the field is full and there is a waiting list -- good thing I was only planning to go take photos. :D

I arrive Wed the 17th around 6 or 7 PM or so and leave for home Sunday the 21st.

One year some of us met for dinner and drinks -- that sounds good to me!

Darren Appleton
Chris Bartram
Carlo Biado
Noel B Bierman
Francisco Bustamante
Brian Butler
L C Carter
Jim Davis
Frank Espinosa
Lou Figueroa
Scott Frost
Jim Galati
Jose Gonzalez
Chase Guthrie
Robert Hart
Jay Helfert
Rory Hendrickson
Bob Herchik
Greg Hogue
David Hunt
Jeremy Jones
Warren Kiamco
Jalo Kotinurmi
Robert Lewis
Chris MacDonald
Rafael Martinez Chavez
Clyde Netzley IV
Danny Olson
Jonathan Omansky
Dennis Orcollo
Mike Pankoff
Bernie Pettipiece
Rob Phillips
Harry Platis
Wayne Pullen
Michael Reddick
Brian Reich
Leonard Relling
Ray Robles
Ike Runnels Jr
John Schmidt
Brandon Shuff
Scott Slemko
Danny Smith
Earl Strickland
Bill Stroud
Tommy Tokoph
Junior Tolentino Jr
Joseph Tucker
Kenichi Uchigaki
Shane Van Boening
Dave Vincent
Charlie Williams
Carl Wilson Jr
Tom Wirth
Ronnie Wiseman

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket

One Pocket

I will be there to watch the finals and then another week to play in the Super Seniors and team event.

Wish I could have played in the one pocket but I just can't make it for ten days.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Since Bonus Ball is down for a bit I will probably stop by to sweat it. I have enjoyed this event more than even the Derby, it is something special and hopefully the new venue is as intimate as the old one was. You could be in one room watching all the matches at once. Maybe one of these days I will even play in it. :heh

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
With this kind of response, hopefully Mark will consider expanding the number of entries next year.

Lou, there ain't a lot of air in that field...:eek:

Doc

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
With this kind of response, hopefully Mark will consider expanding the number of entries next year.

Lou, there ain't a lot of air in that field...:eek:

Doc
That would be a good idea to expand the field. The US Open events were looking to fill up even before Bonus Ball has went on this hiatus and now there are plenty of players looking to get in the mix. Maybe Mark will chime in and say whether this is possible.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
should be a walk in the park tom....:)

Yeah, you'll easily recognize me. I'll be the one with the leash around my neck. I will be looking for a four day flash back. I think I just might have it in me too. Some big name players who could be thinking they are holding that leash better watch out. I may just turn around and bite 'em.

I love the role of giant killer. :D

Tom

lfigueroa

Verified Member
That would be a good idea to expand the field. The US Open events were looking to fill up even before Bonus Ball has went on this hiatus and now there are plenty of players looking to get in the mix. Maybe Mark will chime in and say whether this is possible.

Not happening. From AZ on the same request:

"CSI Vega$ Events - Why Limit The Field - Today, 12:44 PM
We added a 3rd Pro event this year AND the Junior Nationals.

There is NO MORE time or tables available.
Matches are starting 10 AM and last round is 10 PM.o

Not this year!

Mark Griffin"

Lou Figueroa

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm already planning a possible trip next year. Let's see now: $300 entry, $400 plane ticket, $250 car rental, $400 hotel, $250 meals. So far, that's $1600 for no frills... I'm guaranteed at least 7 games (4 + 3), so that's only $230 per game! What a deal!

I think I'll start culling a little out of each monthly SS check...:cool:

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Yeah, you'll easily recognize me. I'll be the one with the leash around my neck. I will be looking for a four day flash back. I think I just might have it in me too. Some big name players who could be thinking they are holding that leash better watch out. I may just turn around and bite 'em.

I love the role of giant killer. :D

Tom
Tom, i'm going to be out there for this tournament and I would like to meet you. Just when you see me introduce yourself to me and we'll talk. I really like the way you think playing one pocket and your confidence level seems to be high, I wouldn't be surprised to see you do very well. I'll be supporting you, good luck.

Bill Incardona

John Wesley Martin

I am going to Vegas on the 23rd, will miss the one pocket. Plan on seeing the other events and doing a little gambling. I own a pool room in Big Spring, Texas, "John Wesley's Pick Pocket Billiards". I am so busy in the oil fields, I do not have time to run it. I am looking for someone who would like to run it. "It Is The Best Kept Secret In The State"

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Tom, i'm going to be out there for this tournament and I would like to meet you. Just when you see me introduce yourself to me and we'll talk. I really like the way you think playing one pocket and your confidence level seems to be high, I wouldn't be surprised to see you do very well. I'll be supporting you, good luck.

Bill Incardona

Thanks Bill, who knows, if I get an opportunity to get a couple matches under my belt early I might be able to do some damage to the field.
These days my confidence is something that comes and goes quicker a Nascar driver but I have been practicing and I am starting to see some positive results.

I look forward to meeting you. And to anyone else who frequents OP.org who plans to be out there for this event, please come up and say hi.

Tom

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I am going to Vegas on the 23rd, will miss the one pocket. Plan on seeing the other events and doing a little gambling. I own a pool room in Big Spring, Texas, "John Wesley's Pick Pocket Billiards". I am so busy in the oil fields, I do not have time to run it. I am looking for someone who would like to run it. "It Is The Best Kept Secret In The State"

Welcome to the site, John! Big Springs sounds like a nice little town with a good amount of revenue. Do you have any pictures of your room you could post? We'd love to see them.

Your offer sounds like a nice little deal for the right guy who would qualify. We have several guys on the forum who might kick it around in their heads. Any of you Texas boys like to move to Big Spring?

It's only 300 miles from Dallas, so whenever Cardone decides to settle down, he might consider it...;)

Just kidding about Cardone, but there might be some who could get interested.

Cheers~

Doc

8andout

Verified Member
"Who is NOT going"

"Who is NOT going"

Its hard to believe all the big hitters that are not playing in the Open. What was the cut off number? 64?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
8andout, presumably it was 48. My guess is that Mark will definitely consider increasing the field next year: 64 or more. The attendance to the U.S. Open 1P had steadily declined in recent times. But now there seems to be more interest.

I agree that there are some big names not on the roster. Whether they didn't sign up in time, or whether they had other plans-- who knows? At least one guy is being chased by the police.:eek:

At Tunica I did hear Scott Frost say he was finished playing "in these kind of events." He may have simply been disgusted with himself for losing to a lesser player. In truth, Scott's game and disposition does not seem well suited to these shorter race events. He seems to shine better when there's no game limit.

Doc
Has poor tournament
disposition himself

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Since Bonus Ball is down for a bit I will probably stop by to sweat it. I have enjoyed this event more than even the Derby, it is something special and hopefully the new venue is as intimate as the old one was. You could be in one room watching all the matches at once. Maybe one of these days I will even play in it. :heh

I have seen you play good enough to win it Lenny.
You just have to string a few together.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Its hard to believe all the big hitters that are not playing in the Open. What was the cut off number? 64?

The cut-off is 64 players.

Its been filled for a week and there is a waiting list.

This whole event is what pool is about and its at a great venue.

If someone doesnt take advantage of all these league players here and put a table where everyone walks by and has different 'pros' play anyone for free and win a shirt, a chalk holder, a glove or something, they're going to blow an opportunity to promote the 'good players' of the game.

They blew it at Tunica not trying to get 64 women players that were already there, to stay and play in the 'Southern Classic' events...unbelievable...you could have had a separate womens event easy.

I wish I was going to be there and involved. :(

At the Rio, this is going to be the best.

lfigueroa

Verified Member
They blew it at Tunica not trying to get 64 women players that were already there, to stay and play in the 'Southern Classic' events...unbelievable...you could have had a separate womens event easy.

Greg has said many times over the years that he is not interested in women's only events. What he has said that he wants at the DCC, and presumably the SC, is for the women to get into the main events and compete with the men. He believes it is in the best overall interests of the sport and a good thing for the women's game overall. I believe that to that end, and to encourage them to compete, he had a separate payout or bonus for the highest finish by a woman, but there may have been the stipulation that they get into all three events, but I'm not sure.

Lou Figueroa

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Greg has said many times over the years that he is not interested in women's only events. What he has said that he wants at the DCC, and presumably the SC, is for the women to get into the main events and compete with the men. He believes it is in the best overall interests of the sport and a good thing for the women's game overall. I believe that to that end, and to encourage them to compete, he had a separate payout or bonus for the highest finish by a woman, but there may have been the stipulation that they get into all three events, but I'm not sure.

Lou Figueroa
You are right about the women's all around bonus. But that was dropped in recent years because such a small number of women played in all three events. I believe Mellisa Little was the last winner. It used to be that quite a few more women participated. I remember Ga Young Kim at least one year back at the E-West, Vivian Villarreal (sp) many years, Karen Corr, and of course Jeanette Lee and others. It makes me think that the women's tour may have placed some kind of restriction on participation, but I do not know that.

Greg also used to have a senior bonus, but that too, was not drawing enough entries into all three events. I think the late Wade Crane was one of the last winners. My good friend John Smith from up here in NH also came close a couple times.