sylver/scott

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
There were three options presented for Scott's position. Bank the nine two rails and draw the cue ball to the foot rail. A difficult shot to execute mostly due to the fact that the cue ball was so close to the rail and if he failed to draw the cue ball enough he could end up in a far worse position. With Scott's knowledge and his cuing skills it is obvious that he saw this shot but passed on it because he felt the risk out weighed the potential reward.

Dr Bill's shot may have been overlooked by Scott. If executed with accuracy and sound touch, this shot may have created a very potent trap for Sylver, but it has been pointed out that this shot has risk attached. I agree.

Scott chose to opt for a safety that did little to trap his opponent or even set the stage for a trap, but his shot was foolproof. The question is; who of these two players has the advantage in an up table game? Sylver is a very young player and though he has been gaining in One Pocket experience, he still has a way to go to catch up with Scott's experience. JMO of course. I've little doubt Scott considered this when deciding upon which shot was best. It is not a given that Scott's shot will result in an up table game, but between these two players, who do you think has the best of it should that happen here?

Personally, I hate up table games when so many balls remain, but attempting a risky shot that is not easy to execute in pursuit of a trap that might work, isn't worth the risk. Especially when other, easier options are available.

Tom

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
who do you think has the best of it should that happen here?

Personally, I hate up table games when so many balls remain, but attempting a risky shot that is not easy to execute in pursuit of a trap that might work, isn't worth the risk. Especially when other, easier options are available.

Tom

I hate'em also ! I favor Sylver.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
One thing about Ochoa: he's got the patience of Job, which is a huge asset, especially in a younger player. Scott too has exhibited patience, but it's not his long suit. Ochoa might prevail in a long uptable game, although Scott is slightly the better shot maker.

~Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
I have been thinking about this shot for two days. I know how aggressive Scott is and for him to pass up a shot for a safe tells me a lot. Like has been said before, the two railer on the nine, bringing the cue ball back down the to the lower pocket requires more than I am able to do with consistency. Not that I haven't shot it a thousand times with that get a ball on your side mentality. I could probably count the number of times it worked out on one hand.
And Mitch, this is something you should think about, I saw the two railer right off, you did too. Too those who say that Scott missed seeing it, no.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
sylver/scott

I have been thinking about this shot for two days. I know how aggressive Scott is and for him to pass up a shot for a safe tells me a lot. Like has been said before, the two railer on the nine, bringing the cue ball back down the to the lower pocket requires more than I am able to do with consistency. Not that I haven't shot it a thousand times with that get a ball on your side mentality. I could probably count the number of times it worked out on one hand.

And Mitch, this is something you should think about, I saw the two railer right off, you did too. Too those who say that Scott missed seeing it, no.

I had the same thought Bill. If anybody would shoot The two railer, Scottwood. He must've had enough reason to lay off of it.

Looking at the initial picture again… I would still shoot it 😜

baby huey

Verified Member
I watched Scott giving Sylver 9/8 a few years ago and not liking any of it. Sylver is very underrated and can play some one pocket. I haven't seen him much on the tournament trail and have not seen him in any action lately? Anyone know what is up with the Sylver Man?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I watched Scott giving Sylver 9/8 a few years ago and not liking any of it. Sylver is very underrated and can play some one pocket. I haven't seen him much on the tournament trail and have not seen him in any action lately? Anyone know what is up with the Sylver Man?

He stopped by Bogies when we were in Houston. Still plays locally but has a young family now.

I think the match you are talking about was at Hollywood Billiards a while back. One night Sylver won getting 8/7 and the next night lost it back 9/8. They may have played again, but that was the game I remember.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

He must be in love because I think he has had three kids in three years. I saw some pictures a few months ago.
Work and love have ruined many a pool game.

keoneyo

Verified Member
I love that kid Sylver. He came in and gave One Pocket Rich a ball on Rich's table. Sylver kept losing but he kept smiling and drinking and having a good time. Treated everyone like they were old friends. He showed a lot of heart. I wish him all the best.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I love that kid Sylver. He came in and gave One Pocket Rich a ball on Rich's table. Sylver kept losing but he kept smiling and drinking and having a good time. Treated everyone like they were old friends. He showed a lot of heart. I wish him all the best.

When someone has "one pocket" as part of their nickname, that may deter me from playing them when I come in from out of town, playing on their home turf :)

keoneyo

Verified Member
When someone has "one pocket" as part of their nickname, that may deter me from playing them when I come in from out of town, playing on their home turf :)

This is true but it also shows that Rich has been around for a long time even though his young age.
He came up when everyone was still playing one shot push out 9 ball. So if you wanted to play Rich you had to play "that guy who plays one pocket". He was one of the first that would give Efren action in one pocket. He just wanted to learn everything about the game. Grew up in Connecticut playing guys like Johnny Vivas and all the old timers. IMO he still is one of the best movers there is in the game.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
This is true but it also shows that Rich has been around for a long time even though his young age.
He came up when everyone was still playing one shot push out 9 ball. So if you wanted to play Rich you had to play "that guy who plays one pocket". He was one of the first that would give Efren action in one pocket. He just wanted to learn everything about the game. Grew up in Connecticut playing guys like Johnny Vivas and all the old timers. IMO he still is one of the best movers there is in the game.

LOL, that's awesome...