The sad sad truth

unoperro

Verified Member
Pool tends to be a game which encourages selfishness. Perfection means not allowing your opponent a turn,or at least denying a decent turn. Break and runs, be it 8and out, or a run of 150. The 147 max break in snooker.
Think about this Willie Mosconi was reported to have said if he played his mother he didnt want to beat her 150 to 0, he wanted to beat her 150 to -something. Those players that take too much time are just more selfish then others.
These time wasters force everyone to try and find a answer when they already know the answer. Slow play has to be penalized and the penalty has to serious enough to eliminate slow play.
Big pockets wont stop slow play and its selfish to believe pockets need to be made bigger now that damn near everyone has screamed the pockets are too big for years. Ask king cobra about this

Play as slow as you want, just dont do it in "our trnmnt" is how I handled slow play in trnmnts I ran.
After all it is everyone's trnmnt right ?

unoperro

Verified Member
110 views and no one agrees/disagrees? Maybe only visitors still read my posts;)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Onedog, I understand that you have solved the problem of slow play in your tournaments, but I don't think it would be an answer to this tournament. For one thing, I can't imagine any of the guys handling the event at Bogie's turning down entrants because they play slowly. Everyone is trying to find another way, and I expect they will.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
110 views and no one agrees/disagrees? Maybe only visitors still read my posts;)

No, I still read all of your posts, Mike... It's interesting, and I don't usually try to offer much on the OP tournaments because I haven't been playing and put pool on a back burner, until a room opens around here.. I might not even start back then.. And so sorry about what happened to Anna.

TadB

Snail.play

Snail.play

Starting earlier doesn't stop slow play, just makes it longer. You know who the slow players are, set clock for 1 min, warning 10 sec, foul called ten sec, warning ,3 slow play fouls loose game.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Pool tends to be a game which encourages selfishness. Perfection means not allowing your opponent a turn,or at least denying a decent turn. Break and runs, be it 8and out, or a run of 150. The 147 max break in snooker.
Think about this Willie Mosconi was reported to have said if he played his mother he didnt want to beat her 150 to 0, he wanted to beat her 150 to -something. Those players that take too much time are just more selfish then others.
These time wasters force everyone to try and find a answer when they already know the answer. Slow play has to be penalized and the penalty has to serious enough to eliminate slow play.
Big pockets wont stop slow play and its selfish to believe pockets need to be made bigger now that damn near everyone has screamed the pockets are too big for years. Ask king cobra about this

Play as slow as you want, just dont do it in "our trnmnt" is how I handled slow play in trnmnts I ran.
After all it is everyone's trnmnt right ?

I agree, something needs to be done when there are limited time span tournaments and lots of matches to complete. Taking too much time to think over your situation is not only selfish, but it is also unfair to an opponent who doesn't take as much time. The slower players take advantage of the faster players who have chosen not to indulge themselves in the search for perfection. The slower players, by dint of playing slow and accruing the advantage that extra time bestows, force their opponent, who might otherwise want to play efficiently, to slow down and take equal time to think and plan. If you want all the time you might possibly need to figure out your position, you should be playing chess by mail. Round robins and shorter sets are fine, maybe even really good, solutions to some problems, but neither will speed up the deliberately slow player. Only a time clock can change that dynamic.

Last edited:

unoperro

Verified Member
Hey guys thanks for a little feedback:)

Only point I want to clarify is No one is too slow to enter the trnmnt. Slow play in the trnmnt may lead to them having a early finish. See the irony ..... play slow= finish quickly:eek:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey guys thanks for a little feedback:)

Only point I want to clarify is No one is too slow to enter the trnmnt. Slow play in the trnmnt may lead to them having a early finish. See the irony ..... play slow= finish quickly:eek:

lol good one uno...

I agree we need to fix it and with multiple threads on it now, hopefully we will getter done!