One-Handed 1Pocket

bstroud

Verified Member
You must be correct on the date.

I have a photographic memory but don't remember dates and names at all.

It had to be a few years after the one pocket in SF. I know I broke up with Taylor just before he went to the SF tournament.

It may have been the year I was at the Stardust with Pucket. I was only at the Stardust twice and Johnson City three times.

Bill S.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Here is the kicker.

Here is the kicker.

Artie broke Aguzate up in North Shore Billiards playing 1 handed 8 ball. I wasnt there but I heard about it. I woulda probably bet against him and lost my money. I wanted to bet against him playing Mike Massey but I somehow ducked that trap also.

Beard

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
My memory isn't the best or close to it, but I do recall hearing that Taylor beat Ronnie playing one handed one pocket I couldn't believe it but that's what I remember hearing. Things like that just seem to stick in one's memory.

In the early 70's Ronnie beat players like Cole Dickson playing one handed getting 8/6, I was one of the only young players to beat him with that spot. We played 4 ahead for $1,000 Ronnie had me three down and 5 balls to 0. He missed an easy shot shooting jacked up from the center of the table, I believe he miscued, I won that game and proceeded to win the set.:D

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My memory isn't the best or close to it, but I do recall hearing that Taylor beat Ronnie playing one handed one pocket I couldn't believe it but that's what I remember hearing. Things like that just seem to stick in one's memory.

In the early 70's Ronnie beat players like Cole Dickson playing one handed getting 8/6, I was one of the only young players to beat him with that spot. We played 4 ahead for $1,000 Ronnie had me three down and 5 balls to 0. He missed an easy shot shooting jacked up from the center of the table, I believe he miscued, I won that game and proceeded to win the set.:D

Billy I.

hey billy while you are reminiscing about comebacks in games you were behind
any comments about your match with vickery thats been mentioned as a must see??

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
9 to 7

9 to 7

Billy I.

That game with Cole evolved to where Ronnie was only getting 9 to 7.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
That game with Cole evolved to where Ronnie was only getting 9 to 7.

Beard

I guess I was wrong. (hard to believe.;)) I never saw Taylor play one-handed, but he must have had a hell of a one handed game, if he beat a sober Ronnie Allen. RA played one pocket, one handed, as good as anybody I've seen play it. I don't remember even hearing of anyone beating him even, but apparently Eddie did once or twice.

I was in NOLA and Houston at the time of the Cochran 1P tournament, and did not return til a few mos. later.

I have seen him get a little too "amped up", and I believe it would show more "up in the air" than it did in his two handed game..I don't think there was anybody who could beat him even, when he had his mixture right, and he was VERY good at doing that. (most of the time)..:rolleyes:

It would not have been too surprising in the early 60's cause RA's game was just starting to mature, and I can see Eddie having the best
of it, in all around 'experience'.

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
So as a follow up -- who are the top one-handed guys nowadays? I know George Breedlove has shown his skills at the DCC. I think there's a guy named Bennie something or other. Aren't Monk and Tony Fargo supposed to be good? I have no clue what condition RA is in nowadays.

Lou Figueroa

Jesse Allred in Medford, Oregon might be the best if he can gamble like he plays in the videos.

Google Jesse Allred. He has quite a few videos shooting one handed.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Jesse Allred in Medford, Oregon might be the best if he can gamble like he plays in the videos.

heres an example
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/jessejallred#p/u/28/GhlcU7a6Z14[/ame]

this example is behind the back 1 handed
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/jessejallred#p/u/26/0aeiT2UwKw4[/ame]
what do you think??

Last edited:

Jesse Allred

Verified Member

I've gambled one-handed even onepocket with Ronnie Allen, Mike Massey and many others. I just recently played Rafael Martinez even for five hours and if anyone can travel through Medford I'll play them.

I'm not gambling to make a living at it so I don't mind "putting my business in the street." For me it's the thrill of beating someone I'm not supposed to. As far as 1handed one-pocket I don't think there's anyone in the world who can beat me in a long race. Playing someone who's shooting 2 handed while I play 1hand isn't as far off as you would think. Someone who I play even two handed can spot me 10-6 while I play 1hand and it's a fairly even game.

Frank Wojo

Verified Member
Geese (Michael Gerace)

Geese (Michael Gerace)

There was a very good one handed player from the Baltimore area named Geese. Does anyone remember him! I believe he came in 2nd or 3rd in the One Pocket Division at Johnston City.

Last edited: