1P ghost

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Not 100% sure but I seem to recall seeing something about playing the ghost,
Do you start with a break and ball in hand? I would then think the object is either 8 and out our as many as you can get and a strong safe. Anyone know about this? Thanks

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I used to practice that way , break any way you like , ball in hand in the kitchen and shoot till you miss.
Keep score for 5 racks . Great players score high numbers , weekend warriors usually get between 10 and 15.

El Chapo

Verified Member
Sometimes I wish this game, or something like it with more interest, would replace nine ball. I know it is only one person playing, but that should not matter.

I watched Ronnie run out his last rack in the most recent major. All I could think of as he ran the balls to win the tournament was the skill that was required of him cannot even be exhibited in nine ball. Not in an inning anyway. To do what he did in that last inning, from his opening to his last shot, would require a nine ball player to break and run, then break and run again etc. But, he is probably not going to make a ball or get hooked sooner or later.

Flat out: nine ball is a game where even if aomeone is playing as good as ronnie, they can't show us!!! That is insane to have a game like that be the most prominent game in our sport!! It is completely insane. Can't be said enough times.

We should just erase nine ball and start over. It is hard to think of a worse game. Short races are completely, 100% decided by luck. There are WAY too many games where the layout is so easy it could be run out by an eight year old girl with her opposite hand; nothing can be worse than watching people win just having to throw their stick at the balls in the final rack(s). The players can't show us their level of skill. It just could not be worse.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-3iLcIOebE&t=748s[/ame]

Last edited:

El Chapo

Verified Member
This thread made me think of something interesting regarding speed of one hole tournaments.

Let's say a promoter has calculated out the match times for an upcoming two day tournament, and he is going back and forth between races to two and races to three.

What if instead of choosing best of 3 or best of 5, he took a tie option, say races to three that could actually end in a tie (best of 4 or best of 6 as crazy as that sounds). What you could do in all matches that go hill hill is have them each shoot one inning against the ghost. I think the fairest way to do it would be to let them break however they want, and take cue ball in hand in the kitchen. Whoever runs the most balls gets the final game and the match.

I kinda like it because it would be exciting I think, promote more offensive play, and it would be a good way to quicken up a tournament yet not make the guys play too short of races.

bobt64

Verified Member
From
Green Valley, AZ
Only if you play really really bad do I let you start with the break and ball in hand...:heh

- Ghost

Some days even that might not be enough, your reputation precedes you:)

Sorry I wasn't clearer on my first post, I was wondering about 1P, is there a way to simulate game conditions?

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member
Some days even that might not be enough, your reputation precedes you:)

Sorry I wasn't clearer on my first post, I was wondering about 1P, is there a way to simulate game conditions?
Play against yourself (i.e., play both sides).

pj <- that's how it feels when I play Ghost
chgo

DWS

Verified Member
From
Chicago
I'll take it.

I'll take it.

I let you start with the break and ball in hand.

I get that next time we play Sir Ghroast.

Last edited: