Grady and anyone else - regarding Scanning pictures - Example inside

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
I thought I would throw up a quick web page showing the examples of scanning at different dpi's when it comes to photos.

We so often, see these small pictures that someone scanned and once they're like that, you can't make them bigger without looking bad.

I also wanted everyone to see how cool it is to see pictures in larger format, not only is it neat to look at details you can't see at lower resolution, but it is imperative if you ever wanted to print something out in larger sizes. For example maybe Freddy would want this in a large picture frame, the only way possible and have it look decent, is to have scanned it at 600 dpi or larger.

Also, remember the larger the size, the more the dust and imperfections show up. If a person spent some time on it in Photoshop or some other editing program, they could remove many of those. Since that's time consuming, I would probably only do that on the really important photos.

Freddy, I said I would not post any of your pics without your consent, but I needed a example, so hope your not mad.:)

Grady, I hope you can gather all your pics together and send them to me so I can scan them in high resolution and burn to a DVD.

And please, anyone else that has old photos of pool halls or players, please contact me, I would love to scan them for you, plus I would like someday to do something with my oldpool site by making it the pool mecca of pictures. It would be so cool to have photos from everyone all in one place. Pictures right now are scattered all over the web. It would be so nice to have them in one spot.... where a person could type in someone's name and all pictures that that person was in, would come up. Or a tournament. A place where people could upload pictures so it come become a sharing site.

That's the only way we will ever be able to see all these pictures that everyone has hiding away in boxes. Let's let the pool community enjoy them while we're still alive.:D

Here's the link. It may take just a minute to load because of the file sizes. Don't forget, use the scrollbar at the bottom of your browser to scroll left and right because of the size of the larger photos.

www.oldpoolhall.com/help/scan

Greg

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
excellente'

excellente'

Great work Cali,lots of people owe you for a job well done.Hope to return the favor someway,somewhere.Have a large weekend,Bob

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
great job greg . your knowledge of computers has helped us get thru the maze of the weii, the pics you post(and/or help to post) help share the history of our game.. thanks for all the effort .:)

CaliRed said:
I thought I would throw up a quick web page showing the examples of scanning at different dpi's when it comes to photos.

We so often, see these small pictures that someone scanned and once they're like that, you can't make them bigger without looking bad.

I also wanted everyone to see how cool it is to see pictures in larger format, not only is it neat to look at details you can't see at lower resolution, but it is imperative if you ever wanted to print something out in larger sizes. For example maybe Freddy would want this in a large picture frame, the only way possible and have it look decent, is to have scanned it at 600 dpi or larger.

Also, remember the larger the size, the more the dust and imperfections show up. If a person spent some time on it in Photoshop or some other editing program, they could remove many of those. Since that's time consuming, I would probably only do that on the really important photos.

Freddy, I said I would not post any of your pics without your consent, but I needed a example, so hope your not mad.:)

Grady, I hope you can gather all your pics together and send them to me so I can scan them in high resolution and burn to a DVD.

And please, anyone else that has old photos of pool halls or players, please contact me, I would love to scan them for you, plus I would like someday to do something with my oldpool site by making it the pool mecca of pictures. It would be so cool to have photos from everyone all in one place. Pictures right now are scattered all over the web. It would be so nice to have them in one spot.... where a person could type in someone's name and all pictures that that person was in, would come up. Or a tournament. A place where people could upload pictures so it come become a sharing site.

That's the only way we will ever be able to see all these pictures that everyone has hiding away in boxes. Let's let the pool community enjoy them while we're still alive.:D

Here's the link. It may take just a minute to load because of the file sizes. Don't forget, use the scrollbar at the bottom of your browser to scroll left and right because of the size of the larger photos.

www.oldpoolhall.com/help/scan

Greg

Greg, excellent idea (regarding your oldpool site). I hope it comes to fruition. And thank you so much for your explanation about scanning. Those examples are perfect. That dpi really does make a difference.