Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Verified Member

Default WWYD - Early-Game Situation #3

Your opponent broke the balls and left you this situation after exchanging a few safeties. You have no balls in a threatening position, and you're liable to lose this game unless you start thinking outside the box.

The solution that our player opted for is the type of shot that makes One-Pocket the exciting and elegant game that it is. In my book, this player is one of the most creative players of our time.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Verified Member

I would shoot the 7 into the edge of the 8 sending it towards my hole and whitey back up behind the 1
Old 09-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Verified Member

I like the 7/2 carom.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM
Verified Member

If the 3 thru 6 combo does not kiss in off the 9 ball, I like One Pocket Guy's shot. Even though shooting from the head rail, it shouldn't be a dangerous shot-- unless it's hit too full, and scratches.. The rearrangement of the 8 & 1 balls should preclude a return cross corner bank.

~Doc
Old 09-15-2018, 01:36 PM
Verified Member

Interesting situation.

If it looks like I can slow roll the CB into the 3 to 6 combo, pushing the 6 towards my hole whilst also leaving the CB buried at the top of the stack without pushing that pinkish ball in to an open position for my opponent or exposing the 2 ball, thatís what Iíd do, I wouldnít even mind taking a scratch so long as I could free up the 6 near my pocket.

If it just doesnít lie right for that to be a safe shot, Iíd look long and hard at coming off that pinkish ball with intent to strike the top of the 2 ball with speed to leave the CB near the long rail. This shot would open something up on my side, and a return bank would become risky for my opponent. This shot doesnít work if I canít get to the top of the 2 ball.

I donít like trying to control the 7 ball off the 8 since it doesnít do much,

If desperate, I might consider kicking at the 1 ball and just pushing it towards the 2 and letting the CB slide down somewhere between the 1st and 2nd diamonds.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Verified Member

Default One for the gophers

It looks tight but I think you could get to it. Kick bank the 8 into the 9/6. The 9 looks like it isn't frozen to the 6 but if hit it would have a hard time missing the pocket.

Well, you did say creative.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:57 PM
Verified Member

I'd come off the right side of the ball by the side pocket driven it into the 3 sending the 6 to my hole. The cue ball travels in-behind the 1/8.
I do not believe many balls will move within the stack if the 3 is contacted properly. Whitey
Old 09-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Verified Member

Im sending the 7 (brown ball) into the stack lightly. Bring whitey down on the short rail on my opponents side. Trying to go between the 2 and the stack with the cue ball is dangerous as well as trying to hit the 8 ball with the 7. This way you can full concentrate on cue ball control. Being on the top rail can lead to errors trying to do too much.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Verified Member

I might take a foul on the end rail over by the right hand pocket leaving him straight in on the brown ball
Old 09-15-2018, 02:09 PM
Verified Member

You are right, he is very creative - and I recognized this pattern. Saw it just yesterday. I doubt anyone will spot his shot here. This is a hill - hill game, and the end is classic.