Joey Spaeth taught bugs how to play onepocket

billycarrelli

Back in the late 70's Joey,got a call to come to dayton ohio to play bugs onepocket.He went to dayton and gave bugs 10 to 8.Joey was stealing at this game.They played for 50a game,Joey won 200dollars. This went on every week or so,Joey was laughing about his new job.After about 6weeks the game got toughand was changed to 8 to 7,now Joey was complainingand mumbling under his breath that bugs was learning all his moves.Joey sometimes talked to himself and now this was not a joke anymore.Bugs had managers that were very clever and they knew the best way for bugs to learn onepocket was to play Joey who was the best at basic fundamentals.two monnths into this tutorial BUGS had learned how to beat JOEY, NOW PLAYING EVEN,Bugs was holding his own and Joey finally realized they had used him to teach the best banker in the world a new hustle,Bugs went on to be in the top 5 onepocket players in the country. Bugs was not just a one trick pony,he went on to beat many good players at onepocket. His backers were always gentleman and cool customers ,I still think Bugs would deliberately lose the first two games just to sucker in the sideline,they never turned down a bet. BUGS HAD THE BODY of a dennis rodman and could reach any shot . HE WAS A CLASS ACT he was left handed and could come off the floor to run out at banks and onepocket. FREDDY THE BEARD MIGHT NOT KNOW THIS LITTLE TIDBIT. BILLYC

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Thats a hell....

Thats a hell....

...of a good story.Bugs had a wise man in his caddy.I would guess 5-2 the Beard is hip,cheers,Jack

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Back in the late 70's Joey,got a call to come to dayton ohio to play bugs onepocket.He went to dayton and gave bugs 10 to 8.Joey was stealing at this game.They played for 50a game,Joey won 200dollars. This went on every week or so,Joey was laughing about his new job.After about 6weeks the game got toughand was changed to 8 to 7,now Joey was complainingand mumbling under his breath that bugs was learning all his moves.Joey sometimes talked to himself and now this was not a joke anymore.Bugs had managers that were very clever and they knew the best way for bugs to learn onepocket was to play Joey who was the best at basic fundamentals.two monnths into this tutorial BUGS had learned how to beat JOEY, NOW PLAYING EVEN,Bugs was holding his own and Joey finally realized they had used him to teach the best banker in the world a new hustle,Bugs went on to be in the top 5 onepocket players in the country. Bugs was not just a one trick pony,he went on to beat many good players at onepocket. His backers were always gentleman and cool customers ,I still think Bugs would deliberately lose the first two games just to sucker in the sideline,they never turned down a bet. BUGS HAD THE BODY of a dennis rodman and could reach any shot . HE WAS A CLASS ACT he was left handed and could come off the floor to run out at banks and onepocket. FREDDY THE BEARD MIGHT NOT KNOW THIS LITTLE TIDBIT. BILLYC

No, actually this is one story that I didnt know, Billy. I do know that your time frame is about 15 years off. You, like me, have lost time perspectives -- but not me on this one.

Bugs was a top player by the mid 60s, not late 70s. This I know because I wuz dere. Matter of fact Joey played Bugs in Chicago, 63,64,no later than 65 or 66. Joey lost playing even. At an all night pool room in Chicago, Joey was howling about the banks that Bugs had made on him. He then showed us a layout where he needed 1 ball and Bugs banked 8 and out in one pocket! I published that diagram in my book years ago. This so impressed Joey that he staked Bugs in a couple of games in Johnson City, giving Fats and Hubert Cokes a ball playing banks were a few of them. I wish I could have remembered the actual years.

Also as far as being in the top 5 onepocket players, the only 2 players I would have bet on against him were Eddie Taylor and Harold Worst. Ronnie Allen and him, to me, was an even game. Yeah, and Artie Bodendorfer had Bug's number too even tho Bugs always played him 9 to 8. I would bet you couldnt name anyone else who could beat him playing 1pkt aside from an early 60s Clem.

The first year Eddie Kelly went to Johnston City he stopped at Bensingers first and got 8 to 7 and the break from Bugs on table 12, a 5 x 10.

In 62 or 63, Jersey Red was in Chicago before he went to Johnston City. He broke even with Mexican Johnny in Bensingers on a 5 x 10. I have already told the story of when I brought Red to the South Side.

That same time Red also played Bugs at the open all night, All Star Bowling Alley in Skokie, Ill. 20-30 a game. They played on a horrible table, which didnt seem to bother Bugs at all. After a few games Red asked for a ball, 8 to 7. No good. After a few more he asked for 9 to 7! he got it, still no good. Red quit, blaming the table -- which I sympathized with him in that regard. It was horrible. Red didnt lose much, $120 or maybe $150, but he did lose. I always loved Red so I kept this story to myself for many years.

It was these experiences with Red that showed me that as great a player as he was, he needed a little fear or respect out of his opponent to bring out his best game. Bugs wasnt the right man for that because he had zero fear for any human -- and he did know Red by reputation. Well, maybe Bugs feared Eddie Taylor and Younglood Washington, because he had grown up around them and seen some of the miracles that they had performed. Eddie Taylor used to live on the Black South Side when he was in Chicago. You can only imagine the kind of legend he became.

Beard

I was personally present at all the above encounters save for the Fats/Bugs bank game (the one I would have most liked to have watched).

billycarrelli

Hey freddy

Hey freddy

I might be off on my time frame but I know this happened after 1970 because mergards had closed and everyone was hanging at oakley. JOEY was also hanging at oakley,maybe bugs was already playing very welland used joey to fine tune his game? I thought the whole deal was funny because Joey lost it. Am i right that bugs would deliberately lose early to raise the bet?BILLYC

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I might be off on my time frame but I know this happened after 1970 because mergards had closed and everyone was hanging at oakley. JOEY was also hanging at oakley,maybe bugs was already playing very welland used joey to fine tune his game? I thought the whole deal was funny because Joey lost it. Am i right that bugs would deliberately lose early to raise the bet?BILLYC

Billy-- I used to play at Mergard's in the early '60s. But for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the other poolroom nearer to Peeble's Corner. It was upstairs on the south side of the street, facing the street. It was a room off of a bowling alley, and had 8 to 12 tables.

Mergard's was a great room, and had good equipment. Didn't Donnie Anderson tend bar there for awhile?

There was also a small room down on Vine St. near the Library. It probably only had 4 or 5 tables. That was the first time I ever got hustled to play one-pocket!

Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Bugs had zero regard for backers. And would abuse the bankroll as fast as he could. I seen him punch one in Bensingers (Peter Gun) because he wouldnt put up any more money for him to play Artie.

Beard

Joey couldnt beat him anymore in the 70s. Are you sure you aint confusing him with Kenny Romburg? Now he would fall into that game and that timeline.

billycarrelli

joey and bugs

joey and bugs

Freddy you are right ,JOEY worked at oakley in65,so I think i overheard him talking about playing bugs in dayton then . Does the story fit that year?I am certain they played.billyc by the way i'll take a ball.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy you are right ,JOEY worked at oakley in65,so I think i overheard him talking about playing bugs in dayton then . Does the story fit that year?I am certain they played.billyc by the way i'll take a ball.

That is certainly more of the timeline that I would recall. I lose track of decades myself, so I put together a file on my computer to help me keep track. I call it, "my life by years." I include historical events where I know the year for sure, like the Kennedy assassination, and that helps me to remember where I was and what I was doing at the time. If I didnt do that then the decades seem to blend together. The Johnston City years are a big help because they run 61 thru 72. I missed 61 and attended all after that. I played in my first tourn there in 1970.

Finally, no you cant get a ball, but you can get action.

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I lose track of decades myself, so I put together a file on my computer to help me keep track. I call it, "my life by years." I include historical events where I know the year for sure, like the Kennedy assassination, and that helps me to remember where I was and what I was doing at the time. If I didnt do that then the decades seem to blend together.

Beard

What major events happened in your life the year Booth shot Lincoln ('65):D:D:D.

How about when the Titanic bought it???:p

P.S. I have a method similar to yours but I remember which girl I was with to remember the year.

RBL

billycarrelli

joey and bugs

joey and bugs

Freddy you are the encyclopedia of pool! Like you I to have lost of decades ,after all I lived with mr.merck on 714rorer avenue so these years in 60's and seventy;s are hazy. this education bugs got could have even been in 1963.this was before I WAS allowed in mergards,you had to be 18 which i turned in 64.ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF MY POOR SPELLING JOHNSON CITYSO MAKE IT JOHNSTON CITY i was there in 65 ,66 I was so tired from the drive i don;t remember much.I was joking about the ball but we can play .KEEP YOUR GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR!you are the funniest cat in pool history. there are only two kinds of people in the world ITALIANS and those who wish they were. BILLYC

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Freddy you are the encyclopedia of pool! Like you I to have lost of decades ,after all I lived with mr.merck on 714rorer avenue so these years in 60's and seventy;s are hazy. this education bugs got could have even been in 1963.this was before I WAS allowed in mergards,you had to be 18 which i turned in 64.ARE YOU MAKING FUN OF MY POOR SPELLING JOHNSON CITYSO MAKE IT JOHNSTON CITY i was there in 65 ,66 I was so tired from the drive i don;t remember much.I was joking about the ball but we can play .KEEP YOUR GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR!you are the funniest cat in pool history. there are only two kinds of people in the world ITALIANS and those who wish they were. BILLYC

Sorry Billy, but I have not deteriorated as badly as one might expect of a 71 1/2 yr old. At least at bank pool I havent. I would have to give your undercover banking ass a try at DCC next year.

Beard

I think that that is how I, and Jimmy Reid for sure, would like to go out, with a plateful of Merck.

BTW I have finally started on my next book, The Encyclopedia of Pool Hustlers. Probably be out by next summer.

Last edited:

TWO PICKS

Verified Member
That would be a book I would want. I turned 72 last week and wish I could recall events in my life. I spent several years with Bananas Rodriguez here in San Antonio. We were partners in a small pool room. He used to tell me stories about Don Decoy. Frankie Bowdon, Eddie Taylor and many other players. Wish I had took notes.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
What major events happened in your life the year Booth shot Lincoln ('65):D:D:D.

P.S. I have a method similar to yours but I remember which girl I was with to remember the year.

RBL

Puhleeeeeze...You or Gh:eek:astess, actually having a GIRL, (no trannies allowed).. would be a major event..:rolleyes: :sorry

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Puhleeeeeze...You or Gh:eek:astess, actually having a GIRL, (no trannies allowed).. would be a major event..:rolleyes: :sorry

You forgot to post a fatgirl or tranny pic. You are so easily predicted it's not even a challenge. The Ghost or Freddy or I could write your responses to our posts and save you the trouble of trying to remember how to do it:p.

Cowboy "giving Old Ducks a reason to post" Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Cowboy Dennis said:
What major events happened in your life the year Booth shot Lincoln ('65).

How about when the Titanic bought it???

P.S. I have a method similar to yours but I remember which girl I was with to remember the year. I must do the exact opposite.

RBL

Beard

The 60s are the biggest blur for me.

I knew you'd write something like this. I knew you kept track of the girls by what year it was:). I usually stayed with them a while longer before they dumped me:p.

Cowboy "always liked & enjoyed the girl I was with" Dennis

P.S. Ducky, I gave you at least two and maybe three things to make a silly response to. Enjoy yourself.

RBL

Jimmy B

Verified Member
You forgot to post a fatgirl or tranny pic. You are so easily predicted it's not even a challenge. The Ghost or Freddy or I could write your responses to our posts and save you the trouble of trying to remember how to do it:p.

Cowboy "giving Old Ducks a reason to post" Dennis

If he won't, I will. These guys look better than lot's of girls I been with.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtIVIuB9FVk[/ame]