Some Ideas for Power One Pocket V2 - In Need of Input

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
I hold my fellow members here in high regards and value all of your opinions. Scott and I are about to shoot another DVD, we have some ideas but I figured I would come on here and ask for some suggestions. Some of the ideas we have are adding more shot and road stories as people seemed to enjoy them. Another idea was taking some stories from Winning One Pocket and Shots Moves and Strategies along with the shots and recreating them on video with the permission of Eddie Robin. We could even do some of the best WWYD stuff from here and recreate them too. Thanks for any input. :)

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Idea's

Idea's

Maybe some in depth look at how he looks at banks, how he adjusts for English and speed, any systems that he might use.

Kicking - systems that he might use and how to adjust for speed/spin.

Maybe as far as stories - have some video of some of his biggest matchups with him commentating on what he was thinking, why he did certain shots - would he do anything different.

I liked how he did the "wwyd" and then he explained (demonstrated) why the simple shot wasn't the best because of what your opponent will do.

Another idea would be certain scenario's where to take a foul. Maybe have highlights of previous matches and positions where Scott (or the opponent) didn't take a foul and it cost them the game/match.

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I hold my fellow members here in high regards and value all of your opinions. Scott and I are about to shoot another DVD, we have some ideas but I figured I would come on here and ask for some suggestions. Some of the ideas we have are adding more shot and road stories as people seemed to enjoy them. Another idea was taking some stories from Winning One Pocket and Shots Moves and Strategies along with the shots and recreating them on video with the permission of Eddie Robin. We could even do some of the best WWYD stuff from here and recreate them too. Thanks for any input. :)

I think taking things from Shots and Moves and recreating them is super cool!

kollegedave

1pocketpro

From
Vancouver, WA

Great idea! Having Scott set up, shoot and discuss some of the shots from those books would be invaluable. Hope Eddie Robin goes along with the idea.

bigpin22

Table

Table

Sorry this is off topic but but I noticed 1 pocket pros avatar and wanted to express my remorse for being to lazy to attend a recent auction of an old time local beer and burger joint. The sold 2 centennial Brunswick tables identical to your avatar for $200 each. I kick myself in the /$&€£ every time I think about it!

P.S. I like the ideas of more road stories and shots from Eddie's book! Can't wait to see V.2

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
You should consider mike em Up during play. You'll get their thoughts, ideas and shot concerns before, during and after execution, then edit the material. I was watching and listening to Mika talk about a shot and position play with allot of cue ball movement, his response, ''I just wanted to bump the six,'' he knew he would then have shape on one of six pockets. Perfect shape in his position, with excessive cue ball movement on this particular FAST cloth shot was Risky, so he just crashed into the six causing 10-12'' of separation and took his licks, and he finished his inning.

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Do a segment on how you can be one of the best one pocket players in the world, and need to get a job.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
to me the first dvd was extremely helpful in showing heres what a lesser player would do and here is the power shot
to be realistic the dvd target audience isnt the shortstops and pros
its for us mortals (jmho...icbw)
so showing comon situations and what most of you would do vs here is what i would do is educational
having scott do a player review i also think is EXTREMELY educational
having him play someone where he has some pressure and miked(sp)
to go over what he is thinking as he plays
would be priceless
jmho
icbw
p.s.road stories i wouldnt buy a dvd for it would have to be the icing on the case
p.p.s. the story about barbara smacking jack in the face to break his glasses so he wouldnt keep playinf scott was worth the price of the dvd

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i am really looking forward to this. a couple of things I would ask the freezer if i had him in my basement for a couple of hours:

(1) i know a lot of the great players (some of the accomplished guys on this site mention it from time to time) think in terms of percentages. i think it would be neat for scott to lay out a mid game scenario and break down his decision making process in that context.

(2) take outs are so important. (some of mine turn into disasters.) it would be cool to see some time spent on this with some common scenarios and methods - stroke, english, speed, etc. maybe just break it down into some basic concepts.

(a good plug for QB Cues wouldn't be bad either...;))

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i am really looking forward to this. a couple of things I would ask the freezer if i had him in my basement for a couple of hours:

(1) i know a lot of the great players (some of the accomplished guys on this site mention it from time to time) think in terms of percentages. i think it would be neat for scott to lay out a mid game scenario and break down his decision making process in that context.

(2) take outs are so important. (some of mine turn into disasters.) it would be cool to see some time spent on this with some common scenarios and methods - stroke, english, speed, etc. maybe just break it down into some basic concepts.

(a good plug for QB Cues wouldn't be bad either...;))

one more thing...

when scott warms up for a match (gambling or tournament - doesn't matter) for a few minutes, what does he work on/determine and why?

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Thanks for the input from everyone, I am open to ideas. I have two HD cameras to film with for this go so the quality will be much better then the older SD mini-dv prosumers we used years back. We want to give you guys a good value, the last DVD was 90 minutes long and moved at a good pace so lots of info in it. I see some who break it up into three DVDs or milk it which leaves me feeling cheated when I buy this stuff.

I am hoping this DVD will be a minimum of 90 minutes if not closer to 2 or maybe 3 hours if possible. If anyone has Eddie Robin's contact info I would appreciate it and would certainly like to give his books a plug as they are the bibles of the game and the first good material I got my hands on when I got the bug. We also talked about taking a few racks from different matches he played and have him do a player review of sorts having him talk about it.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Hi Lenny! Is Scott still playing more or less full time, or is he simply "keeping his hand in"?

Doc
Scott has not been playing very much besides a Bonus Ball exhibition in Phoenix against Rodney Morris last weekend, he does have the BB Playoffs in Vegas coming up after Derby.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Scott has not been playing very much besides a Bonus Ball exhibition in Phoenix against Rodney Morris last weekend, he does have the BB Playoffs in Vegas coming up after Derby.

Hi Leonard,...Boy we are all waiting with 'bait on our breath' for the triumphant return of Bonus Ball. :rolleyes:...By the way, will Michaella Tabb be returning as referee ? (this could have a HUGE impact on the ratings) :p

PS..Good luck with the new DVD ! :)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
idea

idea

I think the best part of Scott's DVD was executing runouts from different positions. His knowledge about what to do next, how he leave's an insurance ball, and where he expected the cue ball to go was great...

Situational awareness of the game during runouts is important... for one miss shooting the wrong ball, can lose the game for you...

JMHO

Bille

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Lenny -

Here is a suggestion and I really think it would make the instruction videos a ton better. I hope I can explain this so it is clear. Its in my head and trying to get ideas from my head to paper sometimes is tough.

Lots of instruction videos, show a shot, explain it etc. While informational, it doesnt ZOOM and APPLY immediately.

But I would have Scott do 10 or 20 KEY SHOTS.

1. Scott shows the shot in detail.
2. Scott explains how this is great shot in this or that situation.
3. FROM SOME KIND OF FOOTAGE, SHOW THE SHOT THAT SCOTT IS EXPLAINING IN AN ACTUAL GAME.
4. Then have Scott show the shot again.
5. FROM SOME KIND OF FOOTAGE, SHOW THAT SHOT AGAIN IN DIFFERENT ACTUAL GAME.

I have done training for maintenance groups, and the key to successfully training guys is to show how this training applies to their jobs and have them use it as quickly as possible.

If people can see the shots that SCOTT actually shot, I think it would be very good training and very entertaining as well.

I hope that was clear.

Best of rolls,

Ken

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Thanks for the input from everyone, I am open to ideas. I have two HD cameras to film with for this go so the quality will be much better then the older SD mini-dv prosumers we used years back. We want to give you guys a good value, the last DVD was 90 minutes long and moved at a good pace so lots of info in it. I see some who break it up into three DVDs or milk it which leaves me feeling cheated when I buy this stuff.

I am hoping this DVD will be a minimum of 90 minutes if not closer to 2 or maybe 3 hours if possible. If anyone has Eddie Robin's contact info I would appreciate it and would certainly like to give his books a plug as they are the bibles of the game and the first good material I got my hands on when I got the bug. We also talked about taking a few racks from different matches he played and have him do a player review of sorts having him talk about it.

I hate DVDs, though I'll use them when I have to. Maybe give some consideration to finding a safe way to sell electronic versions? It's much easier to set up an iPad by a pool table and go through a video like that.

Texdance

Slo-mo and more.

Slo-mo and more.

Random thoughts about instructional 1P vids:

I like slow motion views, especially where I can see the actual point of cue tip contact on the cue ball. This contact point shot would indicate what English was attempted.

I don't care for zooming on the shooter's face, especially to the exclusion of the actual shot, and most especially I don't like to have the camera zip from face, to cue tip, back to face, then miss the actual cue stroke itself.

A player with a helmet cam or eyeglasses cam or similar point of view, showing the viewer much of what the player sees, accompanied by a running commentary of the shooter's own thoughts would be great.

I like to be kept informed of the ball count and which pocket is which. I like to see the whole table layout, from enough angles to let me feel I have walked the table. When the shot is chosen, I like to see the shooter's warm-up strokes, the cue tip strike, the balls in motion, and the results. Slow motion is a big help to understanding what happened, as are multiple replays and angles. I want to see the cue action and the balls in good high definition, with good lighting.

My final thought is that the instructor should have his comments reviewed by an impartial observer who knows the game. If necessary, those comments should be edited and re-worded so as to eliminate any confusion about the instruction.

But what do I know about instructional vids? Not much, I just know what I like. And I sure liked the big piece of home-made pumpkin pie with whipped cream my angel wife just gave me for dessert. Yum, yum, seconds please.

One Pocket John

Verified Member
Hey Lenny,

I also like the idea of recreating the shots in SMS. I have the book and there are a ton of them.

On each shot Scott could describe the spin, speed and type of stroke he is using.

I also like the idea of downloading the video rather than buying a DVD.

Anyway you look at it, we will all get some 1P information that we can use.

John

Last edited: