bad sportsmanship but is it legal

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
I was in the pool hall last week and 2 guys were playing for $20 a game, one guy was drinking and the other was not. The guy that was NOT drinking scratched and the guy that was drinking (all day) said "I need a bathroom break, I will be right back". Well his opponent (sober) picks up the cue and sits it in the jaws of the pocket on the head rail. When the guy gets back from the bathroom, I guess he forgot about the scratch and shot the cue from the jaws where his opponent had sit it. I know it was a terrible thing to do, but is there anything illegal about it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was in the pool hall last week and 2 guys were playing for $20 a game, one guy was drinking and the other was not. The guy that was NOT drinking scratched and the guy that was drinking (all day) said "I need a bathroom break, I will be right back". Well his opponent (sober) picks up the cue and sits it in the jaws of the pocket on the head rail. When the guy gets back from the bathroom, I guess he forgot about the scratch and shot the cue from the jaws where his opponent had sit it. I know it was a terrible thing to do, but is there anything illegal about it.
That would definitely fall under the category of "unsportsmanlike conduct". So, yes it would be against the rules.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
That would definitely fall under the category of "unsportsmanlike conduct". So, yes it would be against the rules.

i am not sure its definitely a foul.
if your opponent was going to shoot at your hole and you let him make a ball for you and then tell him
thats not a foul on you
so why is it a foul to not remind him he has ball in hand??
is it unsportsman like yes
but
a foul
to me
no
i am open to others opinion

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Looks like this was an intentional mistake, would this fall under the category of "poor gamesmanship" ? Would that be the same as "unsportsmanlike conduct" ?

Dr. Bill

John Brumback

Verified Member
Looks like this was an intentional mistake, would this fall under the category of "poor gamesmanship" ? Would that be the same as "unsportsmanlike conduct" ?

Dr. Bill

I would call it.....The... "pay more attention dummy........rule" :lol brooomback.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
It seems to me that a rule without an enforcement mechanism is only a suggestion.

IMO, with no referee and no money posted with an objective 3rd party, this is a moral question, not a legal one.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Tournament rules are; the non-shooting player remain in their chair and not talk to the shooter while down on the shot.

Gambling rules are between the two players.

As a bystander, would you tell the player that had returned that it was Ball in Hand behind the line?

IMO it is similar to a player shooting the 4 ball while the 3 is still low ball on the table in a rotation game. Non-shooting player has no obligation to inform his opponent which ball to shoot or how.

Being quiet about your opponents decisions is not against the rules.

Respect is the only loss in these situations. IMO not a foul, but I now have lost respect for the non-shooting player.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
I rarely drink until after I play. If I came back and found the CB there, I'd ask "you scratch" whether I knew or not. :)

poolandpokerman

Verified Member
sportsmanship

sportsmanship

I was thinking the same way you guys were thinking, not a foul, but a good guy to stay away from when you are looking for a game. He gets into a lot of arguments when he plays, always has issues. I am sure this was a move and intentional, however, I don't like others on the sidelines getting into my games so I did not say nothing. Same as shooting at the wrong hole or the wrong ball in 9 ball. The only thing different is, the opponent did it intentional and then did not say nothing, not illegal but not honest in my opinion. Thanks for the replies.

Tom

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
Poor sportsmanship. It happens. I work pretty hard to avoid it, personally.

Watched a guy pull something similar, but even worse once. The drunk guy had to go pee, and when he came back he couldn't remember whether he was stripes or solids (8 ball tournament). His opponent wouldn't say, so he just shrugged and shot a ball in. Opponent jumps up screaming FOUL!!! YOU SHOT THE WRONG BALL!!! :frus:frus

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
May I steal this thread for an instant? I will anyway so here goes. My apologies but I do see similarities here.

I was playing this guy in one of my matches at the US Open One Pocket Championships in Portland Maine. It may have been in 2000 or 2002 can't remember the year that well. So every few minutes he's going off somewhere without saying anything to me. Many times he left the table when it was my shot which is not suppose to be allowed. Finally I've had enough and when the fourth game had concluded with him winning it. It was then my break and off he went without a word.

I decided to call the ref. over and explained the situation to him and he asked me if I wished to start the game with out him I could and he would watch to verify my inning. Not wanting to be delayed any further I broke the balls and happened to pocket one. The ref waved me on and I continued to run out the game without my opponent's presence. Game, Set, Match!

We both hung around until my opponent finally showed up. The ref. said it all. "You lost". Well, he was in disbelief but the ref. explained what occurred and how he had no right to leave the table on my inning without first asking permission even though it was between games and that he, the ref had witnessed my entire inning and I had legally won the game. Talk about satisfying!

I doubt I would had gone to such lengths had this guy been more respectful but sometimes you just have to put an end to the gamesmanship of some people.

Tom

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
May I steal this thread for an instant? I will anyway so here goes. My apologies but I do see similarities here.
Wow, that's awesome. The guy disappears and you break and run 8 and out on him!!! I bet he was super shocked. :lol:lol
I would not have felt a shred of remorse, he had it coming.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
bad sportsmanship but is it legal

I think I misread this post this morning and had not had any coffee yet either. Because as I read it now I think it's bad sportsmanship but not illegal.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The key point is, did the guy who went to the restroom know that the shooter had just scratched. If he did, then it's his responsibility to remember when he got back. If he didn't witness the scratch then the opponent should have told him. Yet, if he didn't witness the scratch, he should have.;)

~Doc

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Forget whether it is legal or not .
It's just a bad idea all around.
Just like all these types of moves.
People think it's smart and slick and part of the game , but this is what people get hurt over.
Someone may not like losing their money , but if it is fair and square , they usually don't get crazy.
On the other hand , if you punk somebody , even a nice guy will once in a while go off and smash you in the head with a cue or a ball. Or maybe even put a hole or 2 in you.
Is it really worth taking that chance for a stinking 20 dollar bill?

3zss

From
Near Dallas, TX
Always Be Aware

Always Be Aware

It is the responsibility of any player to always be aware of what is happening on the table. If your opponent fouls and you do not see this then its on you. In a money game, bystanders have no business calling what they have seen as this is a match they are not a part of. Even if they are betting on the side. That is the way I have always understood it. It is not your game so stay out of it. Now if your opponent fouls and you do not see it and he decides to make you aware of it-then my hats off to that player that knows how not to try and win by default-but with class. Just my humble opinion.

John Brumback

Verified Member

I was playing this guy in one of my matches at the US Open One Pocket Championships in Portland Maine. It may have been in 2000 or 2002 can't remember the year that well. So every few minutes he's going off somewhere without saying anything to me. Many times he left the table when it was my shot which is not suppose to be allowed. Finally I've had enough and when the fourth game had concluded with him winning it. It was then my break and off he went without a word.

I decided to call the ref. over and explained the situation to him and he asked me if I wished to start the game with out him I could and he would watch to verify my inning. Not wanting to be delayed any further I broke the balls and happened to pocket one. The ref waved me on and I continued to run out the game without my opponent's presence. Game, Set, Match!

We both hung around until my opponent finally showed up. The ref. said it all. "You lost". Well, he was in disbelief but the ref. explained what occurred and how he had no right to leave the table on my inning without first asking permission even though it was between games and that he, the ref had witnessed my entire inning and I had legally won the game. Talk about satisfying!

I doubt I would had gone to such lengths had this guy been more respectful but sometimes you just have to put an end to the gamesmanship of some people.

Tom

This!!!! I would have done the same damn thing.Piss on em for not paying attention!! Game set match. Play another one? :lol John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Lots of great info in this thread!! Pay attention is what I say!! Shit.. if you can't pay enough attention.. stay the f k home and do something else. Good grief.:eek: John B.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Lots of great info in this thread!! Pay attention is what I say!! Shit.. if you can't pay enough attention.. stay the f k home and do something else. Good grief.:eek: John B.

Well, bottom line, both guys were wrong: one stupid, one a thief. One deserved what he got, the other didn't. I'ts easier for me to forgive stupidity (easier) than thievery.