1992 Legends of One Pocket autograph sheet

thepavlos

Verified Member
From
BOSTON, MA
Hi everyone
I just got this recently and don't know who some of these players are. Any help would be appreciated. I can't figure out the name on the border Joe M....?

Names so far starting on the left going down: Ron Williams; Cliff Joyner; Grady Matthews; Kevin Spells aka Fish; Jackie Robinson; Leonard Rucker Buggs; Buddy Hall; Billy Staton "Weenie Beenie"; Brown Derby

From the right going down: Shannon Daulton; Kevin Gardner; Cisero Murphy; Sterling Godfrey; Jafar Basheer "Patch"; Teddy Bear Wilson; Cornbread Red; Jose Amang Parica; Bill Anderson; Melvin A Brooks Strawberry

Any stories and info on some of the lesser known names would be greatly appreciated
Paul

Attachments

• 92lop-page-001.jpg
    92lop-page-001.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 5

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
1992 Legends of One Pocket

1992 Legends of One Pocket

I think I can shed some light on these players for you.

Ronnie Williams - The Busdriver
Jackie Robinson - The Mailman
Kevin Spells - Fish
Kevin Gardiner- Left handed Kevin
Ted Wilson - Teddy Bear
Joe Mason ( this is an educated guess since I cannot really read the signature but he would have been in the group with these guys)
Sterling

The common denominator here is they are/were very good one pocket players from the DC / MD area. I have known these guys since I started playing pool.(50 yrs) I have played all of them except Ted and I am not sure about Fish. These guys are all alumni of the legendary Guys and Dolls in Silver Hill Md. Learned a lot playing these guys and never had a single beef over decades of matches, Good Guys!

Was this the Legends Tournament that Varner beat Sigel in the final? I played in that one but can't recall the year. Tom Wirth won one of these.

Thanks for posting this.

Nick Principe

Bill

Verified Member
From
Washington DC

Kevin Spells - Fish
Ted Wilson - Teddy Bear
Joe Mason ( this is an educated guess since I cannot really read the signature but he would have been in the group with these guys)
Sterling

The common denominator here is they are/were very good one pocket players from the DC / MD area. I have known these guys since I started playing pool.(50 yrs) I have played all of them except Ted and I am not sure about Fish. These guys are all alumni of the legendary Guys and Dolls in Silver Hill Md. Learned a lot playing these guys and never had a single beef over decades of matches, Good Guys!

Was this the Legends Tournament that Varner beat Sigel in the final? I played in that one but can't recall the year. Tom Wirth won one of these.

Thanks for posting this.

Nick Principe

Interesting OnePocket group for sure. Guys and Dolls - one had to learn the hard way

Surprised that Fats, Murphy, T St Shorty, Colonel, and many more are not listed but my favorite of them all Paul French - not listed as well

Paul French could out play them all but didn't gamble. We played countless times for the time and he'd win 90% of the time. When I did manage to win - boy oh boy, he got hot as a firecracker. Wouldn't say goodbye, just ran out of the poolroom totally pissed. Did I ever enjoy those wins ... :)

DC had its fair share of OnePocket players. Guys and Dolls in Md and Jack and Jill in Va - both 24 hrs and loads of action. Owe my entire pool playing career to these two rooms.

Nice memories

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi

Thanks for posting this.

Nick Principe
In this '92 Legends, Shannon Daulton beat Steve Mizerak in the finals.

Varner beat Sigel in the 1992 International One Pocket Tournament.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Kevin Spells - Fish
Ted Wilson - Teddy Bear
Sterling

Thanks for posting this.

Nick Principe

To set the record straight Nick, so there is no confusion. I didn't win any of the Legends tournaments. I believe there were four of them. I can't remember what I was doing and why I didn't play in Strawberry's first International Tournament but I did play in the second, and that's the one I won beating Cliff in the semis and Jose in the finals. My one hit wonder of majors I guess. That was in '93.

I played some jam up One Pocket back then but I have to say that even though I don't play better now I know a lot more. :)

Tom

Jakie

Verified Member
From
Naples Fl
Tourneys

Tourneys

n this '92 Legends, Shannon Daulton beat Steve Mizerak in the finals.

Varner beat Sigel in the 1992 International One Pocket Tournament.

Thanks Doc and Tom-

I was thinking that both of of Straw's tourneys were Legends of One Pocket events. I should have included him in the list of DC guys. These were great events.

Nick

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is really cool! I was there as a spectator. That tournament had an incredible player and guest list. I think besides Cicero Murphy, Eddie Taylor also made a cameo appearance (neither of those guys played in the tournament). I believe Bugs and Ronnie Allen were in it too. Somewhere I have a teeshirt from that tournament with signatures on it. I'll try to dig it out.

I bought a used Schon cue there that is still the player I use.