Rack your own, defensive break!

wickidy

Lots of people complain about who should rack the balls and what to do when a ball is made on the break. Here is a perfect example of keeping the integrity of the game and taking away the excuses of your opponent and yourself.

Rack your own: When you scratch off the break or that corner ball leaks out, you always have in the back of your mind if your opponent did something to the rack. Take this excuse away from yourself and opponent by just having them rack their own. Which brings me to the next problem, making balls on the break!

Defensive break: Now, if you rack your own and make a ball, your opponent is thinking, he is rigging the rack! Just take this horribly big advantage away from them by making the break defensive. This means that whether you make a ball or not, its your opponents shot! A lot of times when you make a ball it is not the best hit on the rack and you would have sold out a shot to your opponent, but since you made a ball, you just keep pocketing balls! You MUST hit a good break if it is a defensive shot, because if you make a ball and you sell out, your opponent is the one running balls!

What does onepocket.org think?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Lots of people complain about who should rack the balls and what to do when a ball is made on the break. Here is a perfect example of keeping the integrity of the game and taking away the excuses of your opponent and yourself.

Rack your own: When you scratch off the break or that corner ball leaks out, you always have in the back of your mind if your opponent did something to the rack. Take this excuse away from yourself and opponent by just having them rack their own. Which brings me to the next problem, making balls on the break!

Defensive break: Now, if you rack your own and make a ball, your opponent is thinking, he is rigging the rack! Just take this horribly big advantage away from them by making the break defensive. This means that whether you make a ball or not, its your opponents shot! A lot of times when you make a ball it is not the best hit on the rack and you would have sold out a shot to your opponent, but since you made a ball, you just keep pocketing balls! You MUST hit a good break if it is a defensive shot, because if you make a ball and you sell out, your opponent is the one running balls!

I play like this with most of my opponents, with one or two better players, if they make one on their rack, they must rerack.

P.S. If possible I get my opponent to rack for both of us. :p

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
welcome to the forums Wickidy!

You just need to clarify it before you play. If you are in a tournament just find out what the rules are or if you are in action, just agree upon something with your opponent.

Personally, I like rack your own and if you make a ball on the break its a re-rack but I have played the other way lots too where your opponent racks and if you make one on the break it counts.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i am still of the opinion that if you re rack when making a ball on the break you sjould re rack if you scratch too....:eek:
if i cant capitalize on making a ball
then to be "fair" i shouldnt be penalized if i scratch
jmho
icbw

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
I like the idea that no matter what you do on the break, it is your opponents shot after the break. Racking your own is ok if you play this way.

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
At the Houston event I saw several balls pocketed on the break. It was rack your own, and the breaker shot on. I viewed it as the "rub of the green". Then again, I am not smart enough to know how to rack them so a ball will go in, never mind hit the rack perfectly to do it.

As I understand it, your opponent always has the option to inspect the rack. I rarely see it done though.

beatle

Verified Member
you want fair and the only way for that is you take turns racking, and after the rack is done you flip for the break.
other wise just like 9 ball, the best knowledgeable racker gets a big edge.
9 ball should be the same way flip for each break after the rack.

powerball

Verified Member
Congratulations Darmoose! You are the only one responding that answered Wickidy's question.

TomRoden

Verified Member
I agree with...

I agree with...

Grady had it right. If you rack your own, your opponent picks which pocket he wants. That keeps both players honest.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, we're not going to see any major rules changes --nor should we-- in the game of one-pocket. However some tournaments have instituted the rule where a ball made on the break is spotted.

I think that's a good idea in short tournament races (In private games guys can do whatever they wish). The reason being: the break is already a big advantage, so why allow a likely win for the breaker if he slops in a ball on the break? In a short race, that poses an almost insurmountable advantage for the opponent.

Contrary to what some maintain, making a ball on the break is NOT a skill shot. It's dumb luck, just as it is in 9 ball. And even in 9 ball, which is already mostly a game of chance between players of similar ability, in tournaments they oftentimes bring the 9 back up if it's made in either foot corner pocket.

Good arguments can be made for either opinion, but if 1P is to be considered a game of skill, then ball on the break in tournaments ought to be neutralized.

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

i am an old fart who doesnt want any rules to change

TomRoden

Verified Member
au contraire

au contraire

Making the corner ball is talent,all the way. Spotting a ball made on the break is ludicrous. By the reasoning, if I scratch on the break there's no foul. So, according to those rules, there's no scratch or point made on the break. Which would make it the only cue game where making a point or scratching wouldn't count.
Apparently, making the corner ball isn't a big deal anymore.
Let's change the constitution too. And the bill of rights along with it. Why not make north, west. Or change the poles.
The game is as perfect as it can get. If you want to change the rules, then change the name of the game you're playing. How about " kiddie side of the pool one pocket" or "slackjaw one pocket." Or, "I can't break to save my life one pocket". How about we give our opponent points when he misses? Maybe buy the guy flowers. Or wash his car. Changing the rules is for non hackers.