Hitchcock passes

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Norman Hitchcock, of OK City 9 Ball fame has left us Aug. 23rd from a heat stroke or heart attack. (The person who notified me didn't know which) I believe Norman was in his early eighties.
In his salad days no one played better 9 Ball than Norman Hitchcoch. He was a class act all of his life and it's been an honor to have had him as my friend. Buddy, Norman and I lived in OKC at the same time for 2 or 3 years and honestly, I can't recall a better time in my life. When we lived there I don't remember a single player beating Norman or Buddy, on any size table.
Well, Norman, from all of us still down here, I had a very good life just knowing friends and opponents like you and you better stay in stroke because one of these days I'll be joining you and I'll be looking for a game. We'll all miss you, buddy.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Man it's been a couple of rough weeks for old-time pool players! I believe Norman won the 9-Ball division at one of the Stardust tournaments -- this is him with Pauli Jansco -- Photo courtesy Mark Griffin

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hitchcock and One-Eyed Tony

Hitchcock and One-Eyed Tony

I spent a few weeks with Sugar Shack Johnny Novak in Trulove's poolroom in Ok City matching up with Norman Hitchcock and One-Eyed Tony Howard. They are both gone now. Two great players. Hitch, was as Grady said, a real class act. A perfect gentleman when you played him. He would never dream of sharking anybody. He had a style like Buddy Hall, slow and deliberate and deadly accurate. I have never heard of anyone beating him playing Nineball in Ok City (he and I played Onepocket, his weakest game, I played him ten to 8). I would have needed the five or six playing Nineball.
Another journeyman gone and more to come.

the Beard