Lame question - but my game's lame so.......

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
so what's the best way to shoot this 3 ball out of his pocket. This question is totally focused on getting his 3 ball out. I just threw the 1 ball over there as a added element of a possible sell out.

Keep in mind, this question is for me, who has not put in the required kicking practice to become proficient after a very long layoff. Let's just say my kicking tends to sell out or scratch a lot of the time:(

So what is the best way to deal with straight in shots when the ball is close to their hole. Kisses rule out a lot of normal methods of getting it out.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CXAL3IXmK1PYOP3qcHKOpponent's_pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

John Brumback

Verified Member
CaliRed said:
so what's the best way to shoot this 3 ball out of his pocket. This question is totally focused on getting his 3 ball out. I just threw the 1 ball over there as a added element of a possible sell out.

Keep in mind, this question is for me, who has not put in the required kicking practice to become proficient after a very long layoff. Let's just say my kicking tends to sell out or scratch a lot of the time:(

So what is the best way to deal with straight in shots when the ball is close to their hole. Kisses rule out a lot of normal methods of getting it out.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CXAL3IXmK1PYOP3qcHKOpponent's_pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

MHO. you should hit the bottom rail first, lower the butt of your cue (low as you can so you can hit up on the cball, Losta top spin and just a touch of right, more top than right.And hit the ob full.Cball should kill out right there and put the ob by the spot. or maybe down table some.Only problem then is If your playing a good bank player he might shoot the 9 straight back.but I don't know what eles you would do.Now ? for you???? Can I see a new post come up while I'm on the same page? I'm kinda dumb about this uh? Thanks

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
I prefer hitting the kick with spin, shortening the cross-table path of the object ball, keeping it on my side.

John Brumback

Verified Member
newfosgatesucks said:
I prefer hitting the kick with spin, shortening the cross-table path of the object ball, keeping it on my side.

Yeah,I thought of that too.but I would be a little afraid of the cball getting away.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
John Brumback said:
MHO. you should hit the bottom rail first, lower the butt of your cue (low as you can so you can hit up on the cball, Losta top spin and just a touch of right, more top than right.And hit the ob full.Cball should kill out right there and put the ob by the spot. or maybe down table some.Only problem then is If your playing a good bank player he might shoot the 9 straight back.but I don't know what eles you would do.Now ? for you???? Can I see a new post come up while I'm on the same page? I'm kinda dumb about this uh? Thanks

thanks John... yes, you can see new posts on the same page, that come up while you're reading that page.. just hit refresh in your browser or just hit F5 on your keyboard.

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Away as in away from that straight-back!:) lol. Good to see you posting on here, John.

John Brumback said:
Yeah,I thought of that too.but I would be a little afraid of the cball getting away.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Greg,

This shot comes up a lot in one pocket...Both John and NFGS are correct..Your options are very limited on this shot. Walk down to the object ball, and find the angle, coming from the cue ball, then IMO, the english used, is not that important...whatever you are comfortable with...Except too much top-spin may increase your chances of scratching. Just try and make good solid contact. You can usually get away with a little too thin of a hit, but if you come off the rail, and hit the OB too thick, you increase your chances of scratching... You also want to try and "reposition" (learned that from Billy I.) the OB, to your side of the table, however, making a good hit, is the most important thing...;)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Well, I have to disagree - here's another opinion for you Greg...with the exact layout that you wei-ed out here...I would shoot the kick under the 3ball softly - not try to kick it away....I would kick the 3 just hard enough to get it tied up with the 9ball - he should have no offensive or productive shot from there...

I prefer this soft kick to the firm kick-out, because I'm a lot more certain of what I'll leave = just about no chance of leaving a shot....but with the firm kick-out, not knowing where the 3 will end up - I could leave him a straight back on the 3, a 2-railer on the 3, a straight back on the 9, or a 3-railer on the 9.

- Ghost

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
One Pocket Ghost said:
Well, I have to disagree - here's another opinion for you Greg...with the exact layout that you wei-ed out here...I would shoot the kick under the 3ball softly - not try to kick it away....I would kick the 3 just hard enough to get it tied up with the 9ball - he should have no offensive or productive shot from there...

I prefer this soft kick to the firm kick-out, because I'm a lot more certain of what I'll leave = just about no chance of leaving a shot....but with the firm kick-out, not knowing where the 3 will end up - I could leave him a straight back on the 3, a 2-railer on the 3, a straight back on the 9, or a 3-railer on the 9.

- Ghost
I also would kick softly, as the Ghost would do. It's easier to know where the balls will end up and you don't risk the scratch as much. Part of my reason is that I kick at this shot poorly at speed but feel it better at a slower speed.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CXAL3IXmK1PYOP3WXAL3Waso3WYFW1kYOP3kTxk3kVUX3qcHKOpponent's_pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
OK Greg,... I would give both those wimp's a ball in that spot...The odds of them tying up the 9 ball, are infinitismal... Dennis has admitted he can't kick, and the Goast is afraid of his own shadow...They will probably leave the guy a free 3 railer on one of those balls....They are sooooo lame.:p :p :p

PS...No more PM's for you Goasty...:eek:

Last edited:

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
And in agreeance, why shoot softly in an end game situation when a slightly firmer shot ensures accuracy. Why wait until the end of the game to find a table rolls off?

The crossover and Johns shot are both shots I assume we practice each time we play, and come up infintesimally during end-game play. Any shot hit bad enough is a sellout. Take less chances!

Though playing a weaker player(Such as dick, who even Allen Hopkins doesn't know and is on noones Beat List because he doesn't count) there are merits to tying balls up there.

SJDinPHX said:
OK Greg,... I would give both those wimp's a ball in that spot...The odds of them tying up the 9 ball, are infinitismal... Dennis has admitted he can't kick, and the Goast is afraid of his own shadow...They will probably leave the guy a free 3 railer on one of those balls....They are sooooo lame.:p :p :p

PS...No more PM's for you Goasty...:eek:

Skin

Verified Member
Greg, you're asking a good, fundamental 1p question. Spend some time with the cb and ob in various positions to get a feel for what the balls do during a kick off the rail, during a double kiss, and during a play off the point(s). Slow the shot down and put the cb closer to the ob in the beginning so you can see what is really happening. Try the same shot with with center, low, high, and spin. If you haven't done this, you'll be amazed at what is possible and how much of it is controllable. Plus, it is interesting, rewarding time spent at the table alone.

Skin

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You definitely do not want to kick underneath too far -- that is a sure scratch. by kicking a touch outside of square on, you send the ball to your own side, like this:

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3CXAL3IXmK1PYOP3WXAL3WbJu4WMpi1kYOP3kTxk3kVMU3kTxH3qcHKOpponent%2527s_pocket&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
The deepest...

The deepest...

SJDinPHX said:
Greg,

This shot comes up a lot in one pocket...Both John and NFGS are correct..Your options are very limited on this shot. Walk down to the object ball, and find the angle, coming from the cue ball, then IMO, the english used, is not that important...whatever you are comfortable with...Except too much top-spin may increase your chances of scratching. Just try and make good solid contact. You can usually get away with a little too thin of a hit, but if you come off the rail, and hit the OB too thick, you increase your chances of scratching... You also want to try and "reposition" (learned that from Billy I.) the OB, to your side of the table, however, making a good hit, is the most important thing...;)

This is the deepest you have ever gone into shot analysis since you have been on the forum. Even if it only addresses one of the simplest, most basic kindergarten shot in 1pkt. It shows that you do at least know what is on page ONE of the 5000 page 1pkt encyclopedia. Congratulations. Those PM's to me are already working for you. Is there anything else you want to ask me about? Which pocket to break to, maybe? Or how many balls to spot when you are playing somebody 10/7?

Beard

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
fred bentivegna said:
Even if it only addresses one of the simplest, most basic kindergarten shot in 1pkt.

Beard

Hey, that hurts!!!!:( I'm the one that started the thread:eek:

Ok, I'm over it now:)

(admittedly spent all of his time learning the fun exciting shots of one pocket and sluffed off on the basic shots, but has grown up now and realizes the importance of the basic shots:D)

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost
I agree with the soft kick too. I guess I'm a wimp also. Sometimes it takes more that one turn at the table to clear his pocket. I like to know exactly what I'm leaving, especially at end game. Chances are that he will be hooked on the nine and you force him to play off only one ball.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
SJDinPHX said:
OK Greg,... I would give both those wimp's a ball in that spot...The odds of them tying up the 9 ball, are infinitismal... Dennis has admitted he can't kick, and the Goast is afraid of his own shadow...They will probably leave the guy a free 3 railer on one of those balls....They are sooooo lame.:p :p

PS...No more PM's for you Goasty...

Ok then Papie...we've got ourselves another prop bet for the DCC..:)..let's do some sociable gambling with this situation - taking turns - me shooting the kick soft - you shooting it medium or hard...and we'll play the games out from there...do I have action?...:cool:

- Goasty

PS, And lucky for me the sun can't shine inside the tournament room - so I won't be able to see my shadow and get scared...:D

Last edited:

Gerry

Verified Member
From
S.E. PA.
is it only me, but I see an offensive opportunity also. How about the shot where you cut the 3 to the short rail and try to make the double kiss towards your own pocket? Usually the CB stays put near the OP's pocket.....yea I know, you can leave a return bank, BUT, I usually like to shoot :) It would depend on the match score or if I'm up or down money, but I like the shot.

G.

OK, I retract my last post! I just went downstairs to my table and shot that situation 10 times my way....

scratched in the side once...

left a shootable return bank 5 times

hung it in my hole once, but sold out the ball on the rail

3 times the CB stuck, and the OB ended up near the spot

I might just kick soft to the end rail :)

G.

fyi my table is a GC4 with 860 and 4-3/8" pockets

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Gerry said:
I see an offensive opportunity also. How about the shot where you cut the 3 to the short rail and try to make the double kiss towards your own pocket? Usually the CB stays put near the OP's pocket.....yea I know, you can leave a return bank, BUT, I usually like to shoot :) I like the shot.

G.

Hey Gerry.....If you don't mind me asking...what poolhall do you play at - what do you look like - and when are you usually there?...:D

- Ghost

PS, I might have to add your name to my location list on the top of my posts...:D

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hey Gerry.....If you don't mind me asking...what poolhall do you play at - what do you look like - and when are you usually there?...:D

- Ghost

PS, I might have to add your name to my location list on the top of my posts...:D
hey ghost
i get where you are coming from:)
at least gerry went to his table tried out his shot and learned the cheap way how poor it was (no disrespect
if you guys dont tell us how stupid our selection is how can we learn???:confused:
this isnt a site for whos balls are bigger is it???