Teaching and Learning

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
During our Christmas trip up North I got the chance to teach a young kid the very basic moves of 1P. He asked me to play 9ball, but I suggested 1P for something new to him. He said sure, and we had a blast for a couple of hours trying out shots and playing a few games.

Then last night I was transfering some of my older VHS matches to DVD, and came across a 1P match between Bugs and Cornbread I hav'nt watched in about 2 years. While watching I started to REALLY see why these guys were so feared in thier day! I've watched the match before, but that was before I started really studying the game of 1P. I started seeing all the subleties of what they were doing, especially during the end game. I quickly ran to get a pen and paper for some notes:) It was cool to see things come full circle like that inside of one week, I taught some young dude the begining moves of the game, and I started to see a whole new demention unfold infront of me on a 10 year old Legends match by 2 of the greatest ever.

Just thought I'd share a cool experience with you all.......Gerry

CaptainHook

Verified Member
From
Flamingo,St.Pete FL.
I do the same thing when i have some alone time. I go into the "Archives"
and get out an old VHS tape with some great matches on it and kick back and watch for hours. One of my favorites is Steve Mizerak vs Steve Davis.
Davis get schooled on 9-Ball and the "Miz makes some fantastic shots during the Snooker part of it. I have about 50 tapes from over the years and allot of them have 6 hours on them. One of these day's i will have to buy a unit
to record them on disc. :) I do not have any 1P on tape or disc. I would love to have some if anyone has some they want to get rid of. :D

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
CaptainHook said:
I do the same thing when i have some alone time. I go into the "Archives"
and get out an old VHS tape with some great matches on it and kick back and watch for hours. One of my favorites is Steve Mizerak vs Steve Davis.
Davis get schooled on 9-Ball and the "Miz makes some fantastic shots during the Snooker part of it. I have about 50 tapes from over the years and allot of them have 6 hours on them. One of these day's i will have to buy a unit
to record them on disc. :) I do not have any 1P on tape or disc. I would love to have some if anyone has some they want to get rid of. :D

Hi Captain....check your Pm's....Gerry

scotttheshooter

Verified Member
From
Phoenix Area
Cornbread/Bugs

Cornbread/Bugs

100andout said:
During our Christmas trip up North I got the chance to teach a young kid the very basic moves of 1P. He asked me to play 9ball, but I suggested 1P for something new to him. He said sure, and we had a blast for a couple of hours trying out shots and playing a few games.

Then last night I was transfering some of my older VHS matches to DVD, and came across a 1P match between Bugs and Cornbread I hav'nt watched in about 2 years. While watching I started to REALLY see why these guys were so feared in thier day! I've watched the match before, but that was before I started really studying the game of 1P. I started seeing all the subleties of what they were doing, especially during the end game. I quickly ran to get a pen and paper for some notes:) It was cool to see things come full circle like that inside of one week, I taught some young dude the begining moves of the game, and I started to see a whole new demention unfold infront of me on a 10 year old Legends match by 2 of the greatest ever.

Just thought I'd share a cool experience with you all.......Gerry

****How could I get a copy of that match ? Am I worthy of even watching such a match-ha :)

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
PM me, If you have any good 1P matches we can trade, or banks, or 3C, 14.1....what can I say, I'm a video junkie!:)

Gerry