Doc & Miss Kitty in L.A.!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
We arrived yesterday to some beautiful SoCal weather. Living in Mississippi, I'd forgotten how pleasant the summers are here. We just came out for a little vacaysh, and to visit some old friends of mine from the music business. If we haven't been arrested for being Constitution and freedom lovers, we'll return to Miss. on June 30th.;)

I'd like to take a drive out to House of Billiards in Sta Monica. I believe Ghost and a few of you raved about the room. We'll see if we can make it. I didn't bring my pole, so I'd have to rent one there. I've also heard there's a decent room in N. Hyd called Million Dollar Billiards. Anyone heard of it? Sadly the great room of years past, North Hollywood Billiards, is shuttered. Ditto Chopsticks Billards on Victory.

We're staying in Burbank, so I don't know if we'll have the time to drive down to Hard Times, although I'd like to.

Doc

lfigueroa

Verified Member
We arrived yesterday to some beautiful SoCal weather. Living in Mississippi, I'd forgotten how pleasant the summers are here. We just came out for a little vacaysh, and to visit some old friends of mine from the music business. If we haven't been arrested for being Constitution and freedom lovers, we'll return to Miss. on June 30th.;)

I'd like to take a drive out to House of Billiards in Sta Monica. I believe Ghost and a few of you raved about the room. We'll see if we can make it. I didn't bring my pole, so I'd have to rent one there. I've also heard there's a decent room in N. Hyd called Million Dollar Billiards. Anyone heard of it? Sadly the great room of years past, North Hollywood Billiards, is shuttered. Ditto Chopsticks Billards on Victory.

We're staying in Burbank, so I don't know if we'll have the time to drive down to Hard Times, although I'd like to.

Doc

Hi Doc, on a Sunday, you should be able to get to House of Billiards (and take Miss kitty for a stroll on the Santa Monica Pier) without spending all day on the freeway (maybe 45 minutes). It is a very nice player's room with almost all the tables set up tight enough for 1pocket. A couple of 3C tables too. It's a very nice, clean, friendly joint worth a visit. A couple of very tough players and then the also rans :) Hardtimes is OK, but may not be worth the drive. And, you actually have a bangers room right on the main drag of beautiful downtown Burbank, amongst all the bars and restaurants, which is OK if you just want to knock them around for a half hour and have a beer. AND, not too far, like maybe 15 minutes, is Ernie's (Ginacue) shop on Vineland, if you're in the mood to buy rather than rent a pole.

Lou Figueroa

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hi Doc, on a Sunday, you should be able to get to House of Billiards (and take Miss kitty for a stroll on the Santa Monica Pier) without spending all day on the freeway (maybe 45 minutes). It is a very nice player's room with almost all the tables set up tight enough for 1pocket. A couple of 3C tables too. It's a very nice, clean, friendly joint worth a visit. A couple of very tough players and then the also rans :) Hardtimes is OK, but may not be worth the drive. And, you actually have a bangers room right on the main drag of beautiful downtown Burbank, amongst all the bars and restaurants, which is OK if you just want to knock them around for a half hour and have a beer. AND, not too far, like maybe 15 minutes, is Ernie's (Ginacue) shop on Vineland, if you're in the mood to buy rather than rent a pole.Lou Figueroa

you maynot find a cue but it might be cheaper to shop on rodeo drive...:eek:
just sayin:heh
ernie does make nice cue tho...:)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Doc,
If you do buy a new one I want the old one...

B

PS Be careful out there... I know we have crazy rednecks here but you may be visiting looney land...

Deeman

Verified Member
Doc,
If you do buy a new one I want the old one...

B

PS Be careful out there... I know we have crazy rednecks here but you may be visiting looney land...

Billi,

Don't worry, if they give him and Miss Kitty any trouble we will take your attack Chopper out there and bring em home! :)

Besides, this ain't Doc's first rodeo!

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Doc

My advice to you Doc..Forget all the damn stinkin' pool rooms, (they're all the same) and enjoy the sights, and the great So Cal. climate, (and the hot chicks)..

For about 35 years, (even after I started playing pool again) Kathy and I enjoyed the company of good friends we had, in San Diego, and Yorba Linda (LA) I realize SoCal, ain't what it used to be, but it sure isn't the worst place for a 'vaycaysh'. :)

I NEVER took my stick, and never set foot in a pool room, whether it was a long weekend, or a full blown vacation. (however, the bars we went into, my friends usually 'forced' me to pay for my vacation)...I understand you have a great home pool room, as I did...But, just give yourself AND Ms.Kitty a break, and enjoy the weather and your friends..:)

PS..Or, are you a full time 'pool degenerate,' (like Lou) and can't put pool on the back burner for a few weeks ?..:D..Myself, I had a revitalized interest, when I retuned home..;)

'Kick Back' McDuck <--loves a 'time out'. Might be a holdover from his working years ! :p

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Doc

Doc...In case you don't already know...you can easily combine a trip to the Santa Monica poolroom with some daytripping with Miss Kitty, ie >>>

The H.O.B. is at 19th & Wilshire Blvd. --- the ocean and beach are just 18 blocks straight down Wilshire Blvd. at 1st & Wilshire --- and 16 blocks down from the poolroom at 3rd & Wilshire is the main Santa Monica tourist attraction, the 3rd st. promenade = the promenade is a long 4 block stretch of 3rd st. blocked off to cars, filled with lots of shops, restaurants, bars, fountains, street performers, etc....maybe Miss Kitty would enjoy shopping there for an hour or two while you went down the street to H.O.B....and one good thing about H.O.B. is that the players/action are there just as much, if not more so, in the afternoon as in the evening.

Have a great time, Ghost

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Thanks for the tips, lads. We went down to House of Billiards. Got there early. We just sat and had a cup of coffee while BS'ing with the counterman. I didn't play any. Very nice room! 18 9-foot GCs and 2 Gabriels billiard tables.

Ate at the Thai rest. across the street, then went down to Sta Monica pier and walked around. Drove up to Malibu, then up Toganga Cyn and dropped down into Canoga Park where I used to live to see my old house. We've been fortunate with the traffic-- trying to travel at off hours. I'm seeing a lot of old friends, and it's a lovely part of the world, but I'll be glad to get back to the Dixie Riviera.;)

I took Miss Kitty to a real nice place for dinner: ~Doc

Art - Bob's Big Boy.JPG

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Thanks for the tips, lads. We went down to House of Billiards. Got there early. We just sat and had a cup of coffee while BS'ing with the counterman. I didn't play any. Very nice room! 18 9-foot GCs and 2 Gabriels billiard tables.

Ate at the Thai rest. across the street, then went down to Sta Monica pier and walked around. Drove up to Malibu, then up Toganga Cyn and dropped down into Canoga Park where I used to live to see my old house. We've been fortunate with the traffic-- trying to travel at off hours. I'm seeing a lot of old friends, and it's a lovely part of the world, but I'll be glad to get back to the Dixie Riviera.;)

View attachment 6275

Just what I figured. I heard all you Chiro's are tighter than 9 is to 10.

Beard

Did you have a coupon?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Miss Kitty and I returned safely from L.A. unscathed. Didn't play any pool, or even ply the pool sites. Spent a lot of time in traffic, but it was worth it to see old friends and old haunts. I even permitted Miss Kitty to buy a gift to bring back.:)

Below is a pic of House of Billiards in Santa Monica. They all said that they'd saved up since losing most of their cash during Ghost's last visit; and that they were anxious to try their luck again! What a bunch of happy customers!:D ~Doc

House of Billiards.jpg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

View attachment 6275

Looks like you enjoyed yourself in sunny California:D The weather is better out there, but the pool action is better on the Dixie Riviera, I don't blame you for wanting to get back.:D But I do wish at times I were in Cali.:)

Dr. Bill

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
While you are there in Santa Monica, the Getty is just a few blocks down on the right off Hwy 1. You have to make reservations, but its worth it. There is some good action for you in Santa Monica, lots of friendly $50 a game games and Richie Rich is only a phone call away. The weather is great right now.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown

Below is a pic of House of Billiards in Santa Monica. They all said that they'd saved up since losing most of their cash during Ghost's last visit; and that they were anxious to try their luck again! What a bunch of happy customers! :D ~Doc

View attachment 6341

Doc, I don't know if you're kidding or serious, since most of the guys there do know me from my several trips to L.A - and a lot of them did make a nice donation to the friendly Ghost..:)...although unfortunately, the Ghost transferred back a little of that SoCal $$$ to Wayne...:(

- Ghost

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
Dang Buddy, you gonna miss Tunica. Oh well, it'll come arouond next year, just like the May No Reason party. Y'all have a great time.

Pel

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dang Buddy, you gonna miss Tunica. Oh well, it'll come arouond next year, just like the May No Reason party. Y'all have a great time.

Pel
No Pel, I've been to CA and back already.:) I'm not 100% on Tunica yet, because my game is still pretty rusty from my year off. But I'd hate to miss a premier event in my home state. Plus-- the possibility of getting treated to coffee & doughnuts by you, Cardone, or Beard might be just too alluring to pass up... Col. Bille wants me to go. I'm the only guy he can beat.:D

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
No Pel, I've been to CA and back already.:) I'm not 100% on Tunica yet, because my game is still pretty rusty from my year off. But I'd hate to miss a premier event in my home state. Plus-- the possibility of getting treated to coffee & doughnuts by you, Cardone, or Beard might be just too alluring to pass up... Col. Bille wants me to go. I'm the only guy he can beat.:D

Doc
Dr. Arthur, I thought you were going to be at the seminar, don't you remember that I guaranteed you i'd improve your game a ball? After that we can go to the table and I can show you all those shots that you think I misjudged and you can beat me out of a dinner or two. Heck, i'll even let you buy me some coffee and doughnuts if you like and yes the Beard will join us. Think it over, see you in ????.

Dr.Bill

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Dr. Arthur, I thought you were going to be at the seminar, don't you remember that I guaranteed you i'd improve your game a ball? After that we can go to the table and I can show you all those shots that you think I misjudged and you can beat me out of a dinner or two. Heck, i'll even let you buy me some coffee and doughnuts if you like and yes the Beard will join us. Think it over, see you in ????.

Dr.Bill

Listen to the Doctor, Doctor.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dr. Arthur, I thought you were going to be at the seminar, don't you remember that I guaranteed you i'd improve your game a ball? After that we can go to the table and I can show you all those shots that you think I misjudged and you can beat me out of a dinner or two. Heck, i'll even let you buy me some coffee and doughnuts if you like and yes the Beard will join us. Think it over, see you in ????. Dr.Bill

I'm trying to think this through: I pay to attend the seminar, then I have to put up 1 or 2 dinners, and then I have to buy coffee & doughnuts for you and Beard. Has business been slow in Dallas??:rolleyes:

Doc

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Come up to northern California your next trip. Beautiful weather and a great pool room in Mt View. You can get cheap action or tough action, your choice. The pool room in Santa Monica is a good place for top players. When I was living in LA last year, I made many a trip over there during the day. No windows, it's great.:lol