Cyclop balls in

bstroud

Verified Member
No Skids

No Skids

I have hit 1000's of balls now with the Cyclop balls and the Red Circle cue ball.

I have deliberately not polished the balls.

Not ONE skid.

Almost no Gearing. Only when you are way out on the cue ball and shooting very slowly.

They go where you aim. No adjustment.

I like them.

Bill S.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Again I ask why would you use an Aramith Red Circle CB with the Cyclop OB? They are not a matched set. You will never see that combination in any tournament that you attend. I also suspect the Aramith measles CB being used with the Cyclop OB, as in the tournament that just occurred, would not happen again (just my pure guess).

For your information, I have been playing every single day (practice) on my home table (860 simonis, GC4) with Super Aramith Pro set and the Measles CB (came as a matched set). In the entire year, I have had 2 skids. I have never once cleaned the balls, or the cloth for that matter. I do wipe the CB on my shirt occasionally, but never the OBs.

Does that make my data any better than yours? No. Neither one of us have anything scientific to report. It could all be a placebo affect.

Until someone uses the scientific method to perform a study on the balls, publishing their hypotheses, data, and conclusion, in a manner that can be duplicated by others, all we have is he said/she said. It doesn't matter if Efren Reyes is the one doing the saying. It doesn't prove a single thing.

bstroud

Verified Member
Again I ask why would you use an Aramith Red Circle CB with the Cyclop OB? They are not a matched set. You will never see that combination in any tournament that you attend. I also suspect the Aramith measles CB being used with the Cyclop OB, as in the tournament that just occurred, would not happen again (just my pure guess).

For your information, I have been playing every single day (practice) on my home table (860 simonis, GC4) with Super Aramith Pro set and the Measles CB (came as a matched set). In the entire year, I have had 2 skids. I have never once cleaned the balls, or the cloth for that matter. I do wipe the CB on my shirt occasionally, but never the OBs.

Does that make my data any better than yours? No. Neither one of us have anything scientific to report. It could all be a placebo affect.

Until someone uses the scientific method to perform a study on the balls, publishing their hypotheses, data, and conclusion, in a manner that can be duplicated by others, all we have is he said/she said. It doesn't matter if Efren Reyes is the one doing the saying. It doesn't prove a single thing.

I use the Red Circle because it is the most common cue ball in America.

I also think the Measles is an inferior cue ball. Just too much evidence that it causes more skids. Because it sticks to balls so much it is very difficult to play straight pool with. That is what I practice a lot because it is the game that forces me to concentrate more.

Just running 9 or 10 balls in rotation soon grows old. For me at least.

Bill S.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado

Really....So it HAS to be Scientific to count....WOW that's GREAT NEWS....Now where is that book Ralph Greenleaf had back in 1919 when he won his first championship at the age of 20? He musta read it during high school eh...Nope, Cowboy Dennis told me he learned it in Science class. Now that makes More sense.

bstroud

Verified Member

Thought about your comments a little more.

Why would anyone want to play with dirty balls on a dirty cloth?
Makes no sense to me.

I am only reporting my experience with the latest set of balls so other people that have an interest in them may benefit from it. I don't care whether they buy a set or not. I just know from my experience that they are better balls to play with.

I have no idea whether you can play or not and if your opinion is a valid one based on your ability and years of experience?

As far as scientific evidence goes, there is little in the pool world that I am aware of. For every bit of evidence there seems to be many exceptions.

Bill S.

bstroud

Verified Member
An update on the Cyclop balls.

Had a 3 ball skid yesterday. I made a really bad stroke so I think I deserved it.

I had not polished the balls.

What I had noticed for the last few days was that I was under cutting the balls and not getting the position I expected. At first I thought it was the high humidity. Very unusual for here.

The balls would not open up and high runs seemed impossible. The cue ball started to stick to other balls like the Aramith balls.

I polished the balls with a pretty aggressive polish because of the black marks and nothing changed. I noticed the Red Circle cue ball was not spinning like before so I tried a very fine auto polish. Perfect-It.

Like magic everything changed. The balls would open up, the cue ball would spin and the cut angle returned to normal.

So I guess the polish makes a big difference.

One other thing I noticed is that the Measles ball will not shine. I think that is why there are so many skids when using it.

Bill S.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Thought about your comments a little more.

Why would anyone want to play with dirty balls on a dirty cloth?
Makes no sense to me.

I am only reporting my experience with the latest set of balls so other people that have an interest in them may benefit from it. I don't care whether they buy a set or not. I just know from my experience that they are better balls to play with.

I have no idea whether you can play or not and if your opinion is a valid one based on your ability and years of experience?

As far as scientific evidence goes, there is little in the pool world that I am aware of. For every bit of evidence there seems to be many exceptions.

Bill S.

I'm an intermediate player, high C , low B, in other words I stink.

I agree there is very little science in the pool world. Thanks for relaying your experiences. I strongly disagree with evaluating a set of balls with another manufacture's CB. We can agree to disagree on this.

iusedtoberich

Verified Member
Really....So it HAS to be Scientific to count....WOW that's GREAT NEWS....Now where is that book Ralph Greenleaf had back in 1919 when he won his first championship at the age of 20? He musta read it during high school eh...Nope, Cowboy Dennis told me he learned it in Science class. Now that makes More sense.

The point of something being scientific is you have an idea, test the idea, record the results, and see if they support or not your original idea. Then in either case, you can share the whole process with others, so they can duplicate and see if they also had the same experiences.

That in a nutshell is the scientific method. Without it, you just have someone saying "this is the best/worst because I said so". I'm speaking in general terms about anything, not just for these balls. You don't need fancy equipment to use the scientific method. Its a process for learning.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
An update on the Cyclop balls.

Had a 3 ball skid yesterday. I made a really bad stroke so I think I deserved it.

I had not polished the balls.

What I had noticed for the last few days was that I was under cutting the balls and not getting the position I expected. At first I thought it was the high humidity. Very unusual for here.

The balls would not open up and high runs seemed impossible. The cue ball started to stick to other balls like the Aramith balls.

I polished the balls with a pretty aggressive polish because of the black marks and nothing changed. I noticed the Red Circle cue ball was not spinning like before so I tried a very fine auto polish. Perfect-It.

Like magic everything changed. The balls would open up, the cue ball would spin and the cut angle returned to normal.

So I guess the polish makes a big difference.

One other thing I noticed is that the Measles ball will not shine. I think that is why there are so many skids when using it.

Bill S.

Not that it matters but this is ftom the WPA Table & Equipment specifications:

16. Balls and Ball Rack
All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.:)

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Not that it matters but this is ftom the WPA Table & Equipment specifications:

16. Balls and Ball Rack
All balls must be composed of cast phenolic resin plastic and measure 2 ¼ (+.005) inches [5.715 cm (+ .127 mm)] in diameter and weigh 5 ½ to 6 oz [156 to 170 gms]. Balls should be unpolished, and should also not be waxed. Balls should be cleaned with a towel or cloth free of dirt and dust, and may also be washed with soap and water. Balls contaminated with any slippery substance - treated with a polishing or rubbing compound and/or waxed - must be cleansed and dewaxed with a clean cloth moistened with diluted alcohol before play.:)

I don't know if it has changed any but 10 years ago or more the late Eddie of Eddie's Amusement in Flint, MI had a dial indicator set up on his counter at a height so you could just fit a pool ball or cue ball under it an it would start the indicator moving. In other words, you could see by how the hand on the dial moved how far out of round the ball was. At that time none of the balls or cue balls were any closer to round than .002. Having been a machinist in my early days, I was not impressed with this at all.

beatle

Verified Member
once you start to polish balls you have now lost any consistency with them. as the game plays out the balls change with each and every shot a tiny fraction.
with the amount of polish used in the beginning the balls will move very differently depending on the brand and how it is applied..

bstroud

Verified Member
All ball polishers are designed to use some kind of polish. Aramith has their own polish.

It is not possible to get the balls really clean without it. Just like the finish on your car.

I find clean and shinny balls play much better and more consistently than dirty dull balls.

The grit of the polish does seem to make a difference. That is why I tried different brands until I found the one that works best.

Bill S.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
All ball polishers are designed to use some kind of polish. Aramith has their own polish.

It is not possible to get the balls really clean without it. Just like the finish on your car.

I find clean and shinny balls play much better and more consistently than dirty dull balls.

The grit of the polish does seem to make a difference. That is why I tried different brands until I found the one that works best.

Bill S.

I don't disagree and use Armith's polish with my homemade ball polisher. I'm not sure if it leaves anything on the surface of the balls like wax does or not. Just for the heck of it, I've used it on a 30+ year old set of very dull (cheap) balls. The balls got quite a bit cleaner but I couldn't tell that it added any shine. My suspicion is that the polish works as you imply, because of the grit and not because of anything it adds to the surface.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
I don't know if it has changed any but 10 years ago or more the late Eddie of Eddie's Amusement in Flint, MI had a dial indicator set up on his counter at a height so you could just fit a pool ball or cue ball under it an it would start the indicator moving. In other words, you could see by how the hand on the dial moved how far out of round the ball was. At that time none of the balls or cue balls were any closer to round than .002. Having been a machinist in my early days, I was not impressed with this at all.

Aramith doesn't give their tolerances on their website, just list "roundness" as one of seven quality checks that they do. I'd be curious to know their pass/fail criteria but I suspect it is no higher than the WPA & BCA require.

Saluc, the parent company of Aramith, manufactures precision balls for industrial uses so I'm pretty sure the capability of very close tolerances is there, but unless it is required or higher quality is in sufficient demand, they are unlikely to spend the extra $.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I know this is an old thread but Sunday was my first time playing with the cyclop balls. I believed we played with the matching CB.

We played about seven hours and I noticed only one skid. That's about the same as Arimith pro. The colors are different for sore. I made some nice twist back banks so all was well. Nice balls

bstroud

Verified Member
I still like the Cyclop balls very much and have only noticed skids when I made an improper stroke and the humidity was very high. The chalk seemed to cake up so perhaps this was the problem.

Bill S.