Record Book -- One Pocket tourney results

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks to several emails form One Pocket fans that have either recalled results, or poured through their old magazines, I have been gradually filling in missing One Pocket tournaments and their winners and runner-ups in our One Pocket Tournament Record Book.

In case you haven't noticed that section of our web site yet, it is located under the Hall of Fame drop-down menu, here:
http://onepocket.org/records.htm

Keep them coming! There are still quite a few significant tournaments missing, as well as many missing results. Any of you that have either great recall or a collection of old magazines -- this is your invitation to help out!

Some of the tournaments and/or results that need filling in include:

1. The older West coast events, both San Francisco and Los Angeles
  2. Some of the Stardust events are still missing
  3. Many second place finishers are missing
  4. 80's events lack completeness
  5. Strawberry's 1992 tournament -- unsure of results
  6. Hard Times results for the last 5 years -- some are missing
  7. Other regional tournament results
It has been suggested that the major events should be indicated to stand out from the regional events. Once criteria can be established -- if enough is known about the actual prize fund and number and quality of contestants -- then that might be possible, with your research help!

Special thanks to those who have helped already, and thanks in advance to any of you who go on your own search mission. Ultimately I would like to see all of these results confirmed by original news reports, so they are as accurate as possible.

JAM

Verified Member
Ask and you shall receive! ;)

In reference to Strawberry's 1992 tournament, I am in the process of getting the complete results and payouts for you from a guy in the know here in D.C. BTW, there were two Strawberry one-pocket tournaments, I believe.

The winner of one of them is a very good friend of mine, lifelong Maryland native Tom Wirth a/k/a Tom-Tom. He's the guy on the right!

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
As best I can remember

As best I can remember

Leonard Bludworth and I had an All-Around in Tampa, FL in 1983, with One Pocket, 14.1 , Nine Ball and a Ladies division.I don't remember who won what but Rempe, David Howard and Diliberto were the division winners, I think.
I probably am forgetting two or three "Legends" events but here are the ones I recall:
1990 in Columbia, SC Hopkins the winner, Steve Cook second
1991 in Columbia, SC Shannon Dalton the winner, Steve Mizerak second
199? at the Airport Hilton, in Philly Steve Cook the winner, Mizerak second
199? at Petey's place in Philly- Sigel 1st, Bugs or Strawberry second
199? Baton Rouge Hall first, Marquez second
199? Baton Rouge Dalton 1st,
1995 Olathe Mathews 1st, Harriman second
2000 Portland, ME Varner first, Alex second
2003 Columbia, SC Frost first,

1993 Ritchie Florence and my event in Reno that we called "The Super Tournament", won by Ed Kelly with Cornbread second
1994 Roanoke, VA Bollman 1st
1995 Roanoke, VA Parice 1st Mathews second

U.S. Open events- I think there were three and it seems like Parica and Joyner won two of them.

Red's in Houston had three One Pocket championships. I won two of them, one in 83' and the other in 85'. JaySwanson and Howard Vickery finished second. I think Ronnie won the third one.
Sid Mann, in Austin, TX had two One Pocket big tournaments. I think in 84' and 85". I won one of them and I think Diliberto won the other. Sigel finished second when I won.

I don't have any of the Jonston City or Stardust results.

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Hell of a memory, Grady

Hell of a memory, Grady

Grady said:
Leonard Bludworth and I had an All-Around in Tampa, FL in 1983, with One Pocket, 14.1 , Nine Ball and a Ladies division.I don't remember who won what but Rempe, David Howard and Diliberto were the division winners, I think.
I probably am forgetting two or three "Legends" events but here are the ones I recall:
1990 in Columbia, SC Hopkins the winner, Steve Cook second
1991 in Columbia, SC Shannon Dalton the winner, Steve Mizerak second
199? at the Airport Hilton, in Philly Steve Cook the winner, Mizerak second
199? at Petey's place in Philly- Sigel 1st, Bugs or Strawberry second
199? Baton Rouge Hall first, Marquez second
199? Baton Rouge Dalton 1st,
1995 Olathe Mathews 1st, Harriman second
2000 Portland, ME Varner first, Alex second
2003 Columbia, SC Frost first,

1993 Ritchie Florence and my event in Reno that we called "The Super Tournament", won by Ed Kelly with Cornbread second
1994 Roanoke, VA Bollman 1st
1995 Roanoke, VA Parice 1st Mathews second

U.S. Open events- I think there were three and it seems like Parica and Joyner won two of them.

Red's in Houston had three One Pocket championships. I won two of them, one in 83' and the other in 85'. JaySwanson and Howard Vickery finished second. I think Ronnie won the third one.
Sid Mann, in Austin, TX had two One Pocket big tournaments. I think in 84' and 85". I won one of them and I think Diliberto won the other. Sigel finished second when I won.

I don't have any of the Jonston City or Stardust results.

I'm assuming you don't have this stuff written down some where so you have one hell of a memory, Grady.

If I remember right, Jimmy Reid has the results of all of the Johnston City events, written down some where, if Steve knows how to get in touch with him. I don't.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:

In reference to Strawberry's 1992 tournament, I am in the process of getting the complete results and payouts for you from a guy in the know here in D.C. BTW, there were two Strawberry one-pocket tournaments, I believe.

The winner of one of them is a very good friend of mine, lifelong Maryland native Tom Wirth a/k/a Tom-Tom. He's the guy on the right!
I was there, but damned if I remember who won -- I thought Johnny Ervilino, with Mike Sigel second -- but could be totally wrong. I still have this shirt :) have washed it a couple of times, too LOL

JAM

Verified Member
I'm looking forward to a phone call from the current TD of the Capital City Classic tournament in D.C. He's the man with the stats. I'm going to try to steer him to this website. I'm hoping he may have a lot more data relating to one-hole statistics of the past!

When I talked to him this morning, his recollection was immediately that Tom-Tom won one of Strawberry's tourneys, but he did say that there were two Strawberry tournaments.

In doing a Google search, I found this little trinket, edited for a better read:

"In 1992, Strawberry held a one-hole tournament just outside Washington, D.C. A lot of good players. Varner defeated Sigel to win around 6 or 7 grand. Also in the field were Grady, Incardona, Bugs, Shannon, Parica, [and] a very new to the game of one-hole, Cliff Joyner."

I do know Tom-Tom, Geese, and Bus Driver Ronnie were the best one-pocket players in the D.C. area back in the '70s and '80s. Tom-Tom's best game is one-pocket, and since he recently moved back to Maryland from Florida, he's definitely making the rounds. I saw Bus Driver Ronnie the other night, and he was engaged in a friendly game of one-hole and still enjoys playing.

I know how difficult it is to locate statistics and data relating to pool from the past. There seems to be no archives or record anywhere. Much of it lies in the memories of the folks who were actually there. Bravo to OnePocket.Org for this valiant undertaking!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:

And that's Pete Fusco on the left, correct?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
vagabond said:
Another winner of US Open was Leil Gay from cleveland/detroit
Vagabond :cool:
Do you happen to know which year? That would make five US Open One Pocket events -- with Parica, Joyner and Leil Gay each winning one -- probably between '97, '98 & '99 years, but who know which year each won and who took 2nd each of those years. (To go along with the results already posted in the Record Book for '96 and '00)

Somebody needs to spend some time in the old billiard news archives :)

vagabond

Verified Member
From
Interstate 40/or Interstate 10
Howdy Steve,
I vaguely remember it as the year before cliff Joyner won it.Unfortunately the pool hall that held these tournaments went out of buisiness. By the way one time Jeff Carter from Chicago got second place.one time that this 9 Ball player Mr.Nevels from wisconcin got second place. Mr.Nevels put Efferen into looser`s bracket.Mr.Nevel won the winners bracket but only to loose to Efferen in the finals( This was the last Us Open ,sponsered by Diamond tables and was held in Radisson hotel).One time another 9Ball player and a pool room owner by name Jamie Goodwin fom Battlecreek,MI came second or third.cheers
vagabond

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
And that's Pete Fusco on the left, correct?

The guy to the left of Tom-Tom Wirth, shown on the page 1 of this thread, shares the same name, but he's not Pete Fusco. Does kind of look like him, though!

Here's a picture I treasure. Knowing "Squirrel," the guy on the right, is known as a veteran one-pocket player, it would be great if somebody could tap into his knowlede. I love this picture, taken two DCC's ago, because of the sign behind Cornbread and Squirrel which reads "Action Room." So many great one-pocket players who may not have won a slew of big tournaments, but are known as the cream of the crop!

One of the highlights of the DCC was watching Cornbread, Squirrel, and another veteran player, Wade Crane (not pictured), playing a little one-hole on one of the back tables. They were laughing and chuckling, just having a ball!

Last edited:

JAM

Verified Member
Strawberry's two one-pocket tournaments

Strawberry's two one-pocket tournaments

The second Strawberry tournament occurred after the one in '92, with Tom-Tom Wirth coming in first place and Jose "Amag" Parica, the FIRST-EVER winner of the World Pool Championship AND the beginning of the Filipino Invasion, coming in second. We are still working on getting the money payouts and EXACT dates for both tournaments.

The Capital City Classic which occurred in 2002 in New Carrollton, Maryland, had a one-pocket and a 9-ball tournament. The one-pocket, again, was won by Jose Parica!

Tom

Verified Member
Stardust & Johnston City

Stardust & Johnston City

Great game = Great site.

In the "Legends of the Road" magazine series I write there is a year by year record of both all Johnston City events and all the Stardust events run by the Jansco Brothers.

Unfortunately, I don't have time at the moment to pull the results, but if anyone is searching this should make it easier --

The Johnston City stories are in Pool & Billiard Magazine beginning with July, 01 (1961) through August, 02 (1972 tournament).

The Stardust results are in P&B beginning with April, 03, running through November, 03 (1971-73 tournaments).

There are also various Legends series stories on One-Pocket players from Hubert Cokes (Nov 97) through Boston Shorty (July '99), Eddie Taylor (January and July '98), Rags Fitzpatrick (December '99), Eddie Kelly (December, '97), and other 9-Ball/One-Pocket greats. Forty-six stories so far.

I'm currently researching Richie Florence for a story that is close to completed. If you have any photos, anecdotes or information about Richie please let me know as quickly as possible. I've spoken to his family, friends, other road players, etc.

My desk: poolmag@bellsouth.net
My phone, EDST: 843-875-5115

Thanks,
Tom
Thomas C. Shaw
Managing Editor,
Pool & Billiard Magazine

Will Sendit

NH Steve said:
Do you happen to know which year? That would make five US Open One Pocket events -- with Parica, Joyner and Leil Gay each winning one -- probably between '97, '98 & '99 years, but who know which year each won and who took 2nd each of those years. (To go along with the results already posted in the Record Book for '96 and '00)

97 is when Leil won forgot who was 2nd

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
U.S. Open - Kalamazoo

U.S. Open - Kalamazoo

NH Steve said:

Steve, here’s the U.S. Open results that I told you I’d post....and by the way, just as you thought, there were five U.S. Opens in Kalamazoo (’96 through 2000) - I was there and played in all of them....and with my usual sob story/tough luck drawing, the first two years (’96 and ’97) in the first round, I drew the number one pick in the Calcutta - namely, Jack Cooney in ’96 (and by the way, people were a little surprised to see Jack show up there) and Cliff in ’97. OK, I’ll stop crying now. Anyway, here are the results:

In ’97:
1st: Leil Gay paid $2,900
2nd: Jayme Goodwin paid $1,925
3rd: Steve Cook paid $1,400
4th: Rich Lingley don’t know who the hell he is, can anybody tell us?

Bonus info for ‘97 - Cecil Tugwell finished 9th through 12th.

In ’98: (the added money was the highest in this year)
1st: Jeremy Jones paid $6,000
2nd: Jeff Carter paid $3,250
3rd: Cliff Joyner paid $2,250
4th: Nick Varner paid $1,500

Bonus info for ‘98 - Gabe Owen finished 9th through 12th.

In ‘99:
1st: Cliff Joyner paid $4,000
2nd: Larry Nevel paid $2,500
3rd: Gary Spaeth paid $1,800
4th: Richie Richeson paid $1,500

Bonus info for ‘99 - Bugs Rucker finished 9th through 12th.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Wow, now that's what you call authoritative results! Thanks!!

Just one thing -- and where did the Ghost finish in those tough fields :) :) ??
One Pocket Ghost said:
Steve, here’s the U.S. Open results that I told you I’d post....and by the way, just as you thought, there were five U.S. Opens in Kalamazoo (’96 through 2000) - I was there and played in all of them....and with my usual sob story/tough luck drawing, the first two years (’96 and ’97) in the first round, I drew the number one pick in the Calcutta - namely, Jack Cooney in ’96 (and by the way, people were a little surprised to see Jack show up there) and Cliff in ’97. OK, I’ll stop crying now. Anyway, here are the results:

In ’97:
1st: Leil Gay paid $2,900
2nd: Jayme Goodwin paid $1,925
3rd: Steve Cook paid $1,400
4th: Rich Lingley don’t know who the hell he is, can anybody tell us?

Bonus info for ‘97 - Cecil Tugwell finished 9th through 12th.

In ’98: (the added money was the highest in this year)
1st: Jeremy Jones paid $6,000
2nd: Jeff Carter paid $3,250
3rd: Cliff Joyner paid $2,250
4th: Nick Varner paid $1,500

Bonus info for ‘98 - Gabe Owen finished 9th through 12th.

In ‘99:
1st: Cliff Joyner paid $4,000
2nd: Larry Nevel paid $2,500
3rd: Gary Spaeth paid $1,800
4th: Richie Richeson paid $1,500

Bonus info for ‘99 - Bugs Rucker finished 9th through 12th.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The OnePocket.org 'Record Book' has been updated with all of these additions. Also, a designation for Major or Regional has been added to give the Major tournaments a little special recognition -- which they deserve! At this point, the decision as to which events should be noted as Major was a bit arbitrary -- but here they are:
  • All the Johnston City events
  • All the Stardust events
  • All the 'Legends' tournaments
  • All the Derby City Classic One Pocket events
  • All the US Open One Pocket events
Other than that, I would need more guidance. What makes an event major? The prize fund, the quality of the field, the public recognition of the event status all probably come in to play...

If you haven't checked it out, it is available under the 'Hall of Fame' drop-down menu --> 'Record Book', here:
http://onepocket.org/records.htm

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
The Ghost makes the ‘nut’

The Ghost makes the ‘nut’

NH Steve said:
Wow, now that's what you call authoritative results! Thanks!!

Just one thing -- and where did the Ghost finish in those tough fields :) :) ??

I did ok at the Open, won a few bucks = 9th-12th in ‘97, 7th/8th in ‘98 and 13th-16th in ‘99....But now that I told you, don’t ask for more weight next time we play ^_^

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
JAM said:
The guy to the left of Tom-Tom Wirth, shown on the page 1 of this thread, shares the same name, but he's not Pete Fusco. Does kind of look like him, though!

Here's a picture I treasure. Knowing "Squirrel," the guy on the right, is known as a veteran one-pocket player, it would be great if somebody could tap into his knowlede. I love this picture, taken two DCC's ago, because of the sign behind Cornbread and Squirrel which reads "Action Room." So many great one-pocket players who may not have won a slew of big tournaments, but are known as the cream of the crop!

One of the highlights of the DCC was watching Cornbread, Squirrel, and another veteran player, Wade Crane (not pictured), playing a little one-hole on one of the back tables. They were laughing and chuckling, just having a ball!

JAM, Wade's still playing jam-up 9 ball too. He just took 3rd in N.O. at the Pechauer event behind a sizzlin' John Schmidt and Jamie Farrell, but ahead of Tommy Kennedy. His game is very strong and methodical, and he doesn't rattle. [Ahem] Yours truly had him in the Calcutta.

Doc