2016 dcc

kollegedave

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
I have been fortunate to attend the 14, 15, and 16 DCC events. Each of these years, I attended Saturday to Wednesday.

This year, there was an announcement that this was the largest Bank Pool Tournament ever with 501 players participating. However, in general, there seemed (to me) to be fewer people at the event than there was in 15. More discouraging to me, is that 15 seemed to have fewer people than the event in 14.

Has anyone else noticed a downward trend to DCC attendance? If this is true, the trend is ominous, especially as the hotel significantly raised their rates this year.:eek:

kollegedave

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was there this year and had not been since the 2nd or 3rd one ever when it was at the old location so I cant comment on prior years attendance.

But geez, there were so many people there this year, if it was less than previous years I would be afraid I would not be able to move around the place if there were many more to show up, it was packed! :)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have been fortunate to attend the 14, 15, and 16 DCC events. Each of these years, I attended Saturday to Wednesday.

This year, there was an announcement that this was the largest Bank Pool Tournament ever with 501 players participating. However, in general, there seemed (to me) to be fewer people at the event than there was in 15. More discouraging to me, is that 15 seemed to have fewer people than the event in 14.

Has anyone else noticed a downward trend to DCC attendance? If this is true, the trend is ominous, especially as the hotel significantly raised their rates this year.:eek:

kollegedave

Honestly I think you are just getting more used to it Dave. All three divisions -- Banks, One Pocket & 9-Ball -- had record numbers this year, and I think that probably correlates to general attendance too. The only population segment I thought was down this year was women -- players and spectators alike, lol. No Jeanette Lee for example. I think I read somewhere that the women's player organization discourages them from coming to DCC, which is too bad.

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Honestly I think you are just getting more used to it Dave. All three divisions -- Banks, One Pocket & 9-Ball -- had record numbers this year, and I think that probably correlates to general attendance too. The only population segment I thought was down this year was women -- players and spectators alike, lol. No Jeanette Lee for example. I think I read somewhere that the women's player organization discourages them from coming to DCC, which is too bad.

I hope that's not true. The biggest event in the US and women shouldn't go? That doesn't make any sense at all!

baby huey

Verified Member
This was my 7th visit to DCC. Being from the LA area I noticed very few west coasters in attendance. I'm not sure exactly why the attendance isn't larger but it's pricey to attend and I suspect it's about the expenses. Once you get to the Midwest it seems there's a much larger pool of players in close proximity to the event site. This kind of excludes the west coast players from attending. Anyway this is the one pool event to attend period. Whatever the cost it shouldn't matter because of the strong field and great format. Greg Sullivan and crew do a fantastic job in this event. I don't see the attendance going down, if anything it probably will go up. My one complaint is about the transportation to and from the airport. Enzo left early and I had trouble finding a cab. Uber wasn't available out there and I think the hotel should find a way to provide shuttle service daily during the tournament.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This was my 7th visit to DCC. Being from the LA area I noticed very few west coasters in attendance. I'm not sure exactly why the attendance isn't larger but it's pricey to attend and I suspect it's about the expenses. Once you get to the Midwest it seems there's a much larger pool of players in close proximity to the event site. This kind of excludes the west coast players from attending. Anyway this is the one pool event to attend period. Whatever the cost it shouldn't matter because of the strong field and great format. Greg Sullivan and crew do a fantastic job in this event. I don't see the attendance going down, if anything it probably will go up. My one complaint is about the transportation to and from the airport. Enzo left early and I had trouble finding a cab. Uber wasn't available out there and I think the hotel should find a way to provide shuttle service daily during the tournament.
Yes the hotel should provide a shuttle, but based on other costs for service precedents, can you imagine what they would charge, lol?

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Where in the hell can one find results beyond the event winners? I looked for 10 minutes just to find those.

+1

I have been looking for the final results in each division 1 through 500 or how many ever they will list but still cant find it.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Great to meet you Dave. It seemed busy as usual to me. With all its downside, it is still the only game in town to see most of the best players in the world and it seems like we are getting more players from new parts of the world every year.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Enzo left because no one was using him. Next year I'll post his name on here and AZ.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
2016 dcc

Enzo left because no one was using him. Next year I'll post his name on here and AZ.

Nah. Won't help. I referred about 5 ppl to him this year. He said he's not coming back next year no matter what. (Then again, it was his last day and he hadn't gotten much sleep)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I'm getting 404s

I am too after trying it after the copy & paste, try these:

Straight Pool
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...classic-2016-straight-pool-challenge/results/

Big Foot
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...assic-2016-bigfoot-10-ball-challenge/results/

Banks
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...y-classic-2016-9-ball-banks-division/results/

One Pocket
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...ity-classic-2016-one-pocket-division/results/

9-Ball
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...by-city-classic-2016-9-ball-division/results/

Master of Table
http://www.azbilliards.com/tours_an...ity-classic-2016-master-of-the-table/results/

I hope these work better for you. I guess when you copy/paste links that are shortened (as these are automatically) they are no longer valid links? I went to AZ Billiards and copied each link in full, they seem to work.

Dave

Oh my, I just clicked on the link John provided and it has all the info on one page - never mind :)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
But still no info re total players in each division.

Taken from a series of articles:

There were 475 players in the 9-ball Banks event. (edited from 375 previously reported)
There were 397 players in the One Pocket event.
There was a record 406 entries in the DCC 9-Ball event.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Taken from a series of articles:

There were 375 players in the 9-ball Banks event.
There were 397 players in the One Pocket event.
There was a record 406 entries in the DCC 9-Ball event.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

I was under the impression that each of the divisions had been over 400 entries at one time or another, but I've recently seen the claim that at least one of the three main divisions set a Derby record this year.

One reason I wanted to know was to attempt to calculate the total prize fund IF buy-back money was included. I was told at Derby by someone we would expect to know that the buy-back money all went to Diamond. I'll try to do some figuring based upon these numbers and post whatever I find.