Player leaves me like this

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I play someone where the games often end up looking like this (my pocket next to the cue ball). Most of the balls are on my side.

What is the correct strategy to use in this situation?

https://pad.chalkysticks.com/ca5fb

Nate

Off topic -- interesting diagram software that I had not seen. However looking at the ball sizes, they are pretty big compared to the table. That is sometimes just for visibility I know, but it makes the diagrams look like they are on a 6-7 foot table, lol.

On topic -- well your opponent did put the cue ball where he is supposed to in this situation. That is of course a big part of why you are struggling with a good shot.

For you, getting the cue ball up around the far end of the table, as far over on your side that you can without giving up a cut to their hole, is what I would say in general when you need a bunch of balls and you have them on your side already. The problem is how do you get there, lol. As I see it, you don't even have a good kick, so I don't know if it would be worth it, and if you chose to kick you would need to take into consideration where the spotted ball would go (if you have one to spot).

Wherever you go, the idea is to make it awkward for them to put you back where you are now, lol.

Maybe kick to the area between the 13 & 15 ball.

Attachments

• 2016-04-22 21_37_08-Greenshot.jpg
    2016-04-22 21_37_08-Greenshot.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0

unoperro

Verified Member
If games often go like this, and you lose, you need better moves earlier in the game.

Balls on "your" side aren't much unless they are a scoring threat. Watch matches of better players and note how their shots often are aggressively defensive. Your shot choices, as per table situation you ask about, reflect "do nothing" choices.

Hope I don't come off as to harsh.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I play someone where the games often end up looking like this (my pocket next to the cue ball). Most of the balls are on my side.

Nate

In general, you want to clear the lanes to your pocket so he can't leave you here. The shot I would shoot, however, doesn't do much in that way, but offers such good offense and defense I would play it anyway: Bank the 11 and stick.

The strategic alternative would be to shoot the5 directly into the 13 (center to center, and not very hard.) Leaves him something he may shoot on the 9, but he'll have trouble getting another if he makes it. I would only choose this shot here if I think his % on the 9 is low enough that I hope he shoots it.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I think -- I hope! :) -- you're shooting at the wrong hole.

Maybe -- but I thought his hole was right there where the cue ball is to start. He can always go off the 7 on the left side and stay below the balls, but that has no chance of improving his position. That's why I suggested kicking. He has a zillion balls that go -- the idea now is to try to get a shot before they are all rearranged. That's my thinking anyway.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
That spot we see looks like it is on the headstring though. I'm assuming a ball is sitting on the foot spot.

If so, the ball is misplaced in the graphic. Only the 7 is in the right vertical position, and no ball is in the right horizontal position.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

Nate

You don't give a score but in this situation it doesn't really matter since there's not much to do. Try to get the cueball as close to the footrail as you can.

P.S. Were you playing on a 7' table? If on a 9' table it would be helpful to use the 9' table template from that site. Easier to see things.

wwyd.png

This is the 9' table template.

wwyd1.jpg

Dennis

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
You don't give a score but in this situation it doesn't really matter since there's not much to do. Try to get the cueball as close to the footrail as you can.

Dennis

Now I play the 11 off the 12. If I miss, you're tripled up or worse. If I leave it close you can't see it. If I make it I have shape. (At least that's the way it was in the dream. ) :p

Good call on the template.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Now I play the 11 off the 12. If I miss, you're tripled up or worse. If I leave it close you can't see it. If I make it I have shape. (At least that's the way it was in the dream. ) :p

Good call on the template.

Nate

John,

You are shooting at the wrong pocket... again:D.

Dennis

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Off the 4 thinly and back to the 7. Stick on it. What's he gonna do?

If you can control consistently enough to stick on the 7 that's fine, but even if you do, he can drop to the bottom rail. Or if you really stick him good on the top side of the 7, he can still go across the table and under your balls. So it's not like that shot is going to change the situation to your favor. And, if you don't execute quite so well you could easily give up a cross corner (just by leaving a little air around the cue ball). I don't want to leave it so easy for him to get back under those balls.

nataddrho

I'm the OP.

Sorry about the template, I rushed to find an alternative to pool.bz since it's broken. I didn't pay attention to the table size. Should be on a 9-ft table.

My opponent is very good at leaving me near my pocket from pretty much anywhere on the table. He has enough patience and discipline to consistently do this and avoid shooting hail-marys. However, this is pretty much his only strategy: locking up my side with balls in the process.

I'm thinking earlier in the game I need to create threats and lock him up in the same shot, a little more consistently... force him to run up table and back down if he wants to land near my hole.

Perhaps this layout is a result of a weak game start on my part. And maybe the slow and smart recovery from here is to push the balls up table for a long game?

Nate

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
The shooter has the better position, clearly, playing the cue ball to the bottom rail is fruitless and incorrect. If at all possible you must try to play the cue ball up table in some fashion. Steve's option with kicking to the top right quadrant of the table is an option that I would strongly consider especially if i'm playing an opponent who isn't a strong ball striker. Even then if my opponent is a fairly strong ball striker Steve's option is still viable because of the risk/vs return value the option has.

Another option that I see that is also available is playing through the 11ball and going up table with the cue ball. This option will leave your opponent with a fairly simple return off the 4ball but his return could possibly leave you with a good return off either the 4ball or 7ball. Also playing off the 11ball could leave your opponent with a return off the 6ball, this return plays much more difficult than the return off the 4ball for your opponent which puts him in a ..'must perform" situation.

The reason you must go up table with the cue ball is because you are giving yourself a chance to further develop your position with little to no risk, and could possibly find yourself in a very advantageous position if your opponent doesn't execute his return shot well. Remember that in positions like this one playing your shot where the cue ball is left on the bottom rail is surrendering your position.

Hopefully I have instilled some strong principles in strategic play when balls are configured close to the way they are here.

Dr. Bill