Break Cueball Position

8andout

Verified Member
So you don't have a perfect break. Is it better to leave the CB below the rack (near the 1st diamond) or above the rack (near the 3rd diamond). Or, as the incoming player, which is easier to get out of?

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
So you don't have a perfect break. Is it better to leave the CB below the rack (near the 1st diamond) or above the rack (near the 3rd diamond). Or, as the incoming player, which is easier to get out of?

Near the first diamond usually leaves an easy safety and sometimes a bank for the incoming players pocket.

Near the third diamond often leaves a bank or a combo bank to get a ball over and sticking the breaker in the stack with the cue ball.

Best place IMO is near the second diamond.

Skin

Verified Member
Just above the 2nd diamond is where I like to put it. That tends to hide the ball on my bottom rail. I also like the cb close enough to the rail so he can't cue low on it. That takes away some of the options for leaving you in the stack since he has to hit high.

Skin

beatle

Verified Member
two and a half diamonds up works for me over the years and the best old time players did about that as well. i think it is worse to leave it low so even if you like just two diamonds which is fine i would shoot for two and a half so you dont leave it low.

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
So if my opponent is racking his own, I would not mind if he racked the balls a half inch too high. It would give me greater odds of getting a shot below the stack. It would also provide a better chance of getting a shot at my hole if the corner ball leaks out.

Conversely, I would not accept the rack if he racks a half inch too low.

Does this sound right?

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
So if my opponent is racking his own, I would not mind if he racked the balls a half inch too high. It would give me greater odds of getting a shot below the stack. It would also provide a better chance of getting a shot at my hole if the corner ball leaks out.

Conversely, I would not accept the rack if he racks a half inch too low.

Does this sound right?

Really?

The rack being .500" higher or lower doesn't matter relative to where the cue ball ends up. The center of the head ball will still be somewhere on the spot.

I have to ask... Is this a serious question? Or are you just stirring the pot?

There are things that matter in how the balls are racked but this isn't one of them. (my opinion of course)

Dudley

Last edited:

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
I believe I would prefer my opponent to rack the balls higher on the spot rather than lower on the spot (racking his own).

And I don't think it is some small difference. It could be the difference in the game, especially if the corner ball leaks out.

Am I wrong?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
For puposes of playing the game correctly, starting with the break, I would think most of the members would gain more, from assuming the balls are racked correctly, and on the spot like they should be.

Defending yourself against a hi or lo, or a 'crooked rack' with gaps, or whatever..should, IMO, be covered in some other thread...Cheating, is amply covered in dozens of AZB threads...At onepocket.org., we assume we are not playing with cheater's, so we are not THAT concerned with those situations. (not saying we don't know how to defend against it, if called upon..;))

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
The higher the balls are racked the more chance the breaker has of scratching. So if a guy were larcenous, and if they weren't playing rack your own, that would be what he'd try to do. Of course none of our group would even entertain that notion...;)

Doc

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Really?

I have to ask... Is this a serious question? Or are you just stirring the pot?

Dudley

Dud,

CB has been banned over on the All-Zaniness site and has nothing to do until his/her new identity becomes valid over there. He/she will continue trolling here with inane but harmless questions and thought-provoking analysis, I'm sure:frus.

I'm just as sure that he/she gets a rise out of every response here to his/her stupidity, including mine.

CBD

ChrisBanks

Verified Member
From
Rochester, NY
Dud,

CB has been banned over on the All-Zaniness site and has nothing to do until his/her new identity becomes valid over there. He/she will continue trolling here with inane but harmless questions and thought-provoking analysis, I'm sure:frus.

I'm just as sure that he/she gets a rise out of every response here to his/her stupidity, including mine.

CBD

I take this forum pretty seriously. And I didn't think my question was out of line at all. The balls do not always rack well directly on the spot, so some people move the rack a fraction higher or lower. So I thought it would be advantageous to become a student of the rack. But if you are that bothered by my post, PM me and I will leave.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I take this forum pretty seriously. And I didn't think my question was out of line at all. The balls do not always rack well directly on the spot, so some people move the rack a fraction higher or lower. So I thought it would be advantageous to become a student of the rack. But if you are that bothered by my post, PM me and I will leave.

Don't worry about it. I saw where they banned Pat J over there for two years the other day, for speaking his mind about aiming systems. About the sorriest shit I ever saw in my life. I haven't seen you say anything out of line here, that I can remember, anyway.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Don't worry about it. I saw where they banned Pat J over there for two years the other day, for speaking his mind about aiming systems. About the sorriest shit I ever saw in my life. I haven't seen you say anything out of line here, that I can remember, anyway.

Thats right Jimmy, the mod's over there, can be worse than some of the troll's, and far worse than some of the sensible contribitors, of which PJ has always been a good one...Mr. W. is the worst ever ! Maybe he'll get the axe some day (i hope) :cool:

View attachment 7673

Last edited:

8andout

Verified Member
Off the Mark

Off the Mark

My original post has been taken way out of context. let me try to ask it again. it has nothing to do with the rack, or cheating. My question is; if i can't seem to get the cueball at the preferred position (2 1/2 diamonds up and against the rail), would it benefit me to hit it a little softer (1st diamond) or a little harder (3rd diamond)? thanks

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
My original post has been taken way out of context. let me try to ask it again. it has nothing to do with the rack, or cheating. My question is; if i can't seem to get the cueball at the preferred position (2 1/2 diamonds up and against the rail), would it benefit me to hit it a little softer (1st diamond) or a little harder (3rd diamond)? thanks

you need to practice getting it to 2 1/2
try different distances from the side rail and see if that helps

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan

I think I would prefer a little higher than lower. Probably offer less in return.

Dennis