Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Verified Member

I was going to comment on this shot prior to reading what Brandon did and would of said that cutting the 13ball to the right looked close to a scratch. If in fact it is laying on or close to a scratch angle then cutting the 13ball to the left and positioning the cue ball by the 2ball would be my choice. You can well afford to send a ball to your opponents side the way the balls are positioned, especially when your options are few, like here.

Dr. Bill
Old 01-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
I was going to comment on this shot prior to reading what Brandon did and would of said that cutting the 13ball to the right looked close to a scratch. If in fact it is laying on or close to a scratch angle then cutting the 13ball to the left and positioning the cue ball by the 2ball would be my choice. You can well afford to send a ball to your opponents side the way the balls are positioned, especially when your options are few, like here.

Dr. Bill
I feared the scratch also, and wondered whether I could get enough force follow at moderate speed.

Do you consider two-railing the 13 at all worth considering? Looks like CB goes one rail toward the 6 or 8 and puts 13 in the threat zone.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
I feared the scratch also, and wondered whether I could get enough force follow at moderate speed.

Do you consider two-railing the 13 at all worth considering? Looks like CB goes one rail toward the 6 or 8 and puts 13 in the threat zone.
Sorry it took this long to get back with you John, in reference to your suggestion about two railing the 13ball it's what I call a sucker shot. Allow me to explain. The angle for pocketing the 13ball isn't there and the cue ball is frozen to the rail which creates controlling the cue ball a problem. Plus even if the shot was struck well and you controlled the cue ball the return take out wouldn't be a problem for your opponent, however, if you were unable to control the cue ball there's a good chance that you may sell out a shot and who knows how many balls it could cost you. So, your upside isn't up at all but your down side could be too expensive for you to pay so why entertain the idea period.

Lets assume you had the angle to two rail the 13ball and send the cue ball into the 2ball with a chance to make the 13ball, then I would say that the shot would be worth shooting but still wouldn't be in love with it because there's no guarantee that you will be able to control the cue ball well enough and strike the 13ball well enough to accomplish what you set out to do because of the cue ball being frozen to the rail.

In situations like this one where there are really no decent options to choose (other than a conservative approach) and your score reads that you have the advantage, particularly when you need only one ball to your opponents four what you really don't want to do is something that will cost you a ball or more when your up side is zero, or something close to zero. Patience is knowledge.

Dr. Bill
Old 01-12-2017, 02:05 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
Sorry it took this long to get back with you John, in reference to your suggestion about two railing the 13ball it's what I call a sucker shot. Allow me to explain. The angle for pocketing the 13ball isn't there and the cue ball is frozen to the rail which creates controlling the cue ball a problem. Plus even if the shot was struck well and you controlled the cue ball the return take out wouldn't be a problem for your opponent, however, if you were unable to control the cue ball there's a good chance that you may sell out a shot and who knows how many balls it could cost you. So, your upside isn't up at all but your down side could be too expensive for you to pay so why entertain the idea period.

Lets assume you had the angle to two rail the 13ball and send the cue ball into the 2ball with a chance to make the 13ball, then I would say that the shot would be worth shooting but still wouldn't be in love with it because there's no guarantee that you will be able to control the cue ball well enough and strike the 13ball well enough to accomplish what you set out to do because of the cue ball being frozen to the rail.

In situations like this one where there are really no decent options to choose (other than a conservative approach) and your score reads that you have the advantage, particularly when you need only one ball to your opponents four what you really don't want to do is something that will cost you a ball or more when your up side is zero, or something close to zero. Patience is knowledge.

Dr. Bill
I might have tried it if the CB was off the rail. Thanks for the explanation (warning!)

"Sucker shot" -- I usually hit those pretty well.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:29 PM

i don't like banking the 6ball at all. this is the time to send the balls up-table and be patient.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Verified Member

I would bet the last thing Brandon thought was

Don't scratch in the side. So he needlesly scratched in the side.

The brain doesnt know "don't"
Old 01-12-2017, 07:38 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post

Negative thoughts create negative action.
Sooner or later you have to learn to listen to the little A$$hole in your head, he's right an amazing % of the time.
But he is a pest.

Rodney Stephens.
androd0105@att.net 713-973-0503
Old 01-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post

That's funny, and true, and a pisser.