Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Verified Member

Default Building and Maintaining A Position

I realize that many of today's top one pocket players play a very aggressive, offensive style of one pocket and do it effectively. This works very well for people like S. Frost, D. Smith, etc. but I think that many of the people on this site would be better served to work on their ability to build and maintain a position when playing one pocket. There is very little discussion here regarding using the rack to maintain one's advantage in a game, ALWAYS playing the score, and overall game management. Tom Wirth's one pocket book is excellent for the controlled aggression approach but some posters on this site may need to play lesser players than themselves in order to have an opportunity to work on building and maintaining a position when playing the game. Just my .02 cents.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stedyfred View Post
I realize that many of today's top one pocket players play a very aggressive, offensive style of one pocket and do it effectively. This works very well for people like S. Frost, D. Smith, etc. but I think that many of the people on this site would be better served to work on their ability to build and maintain a position when playing one pocket. There is very little discussion here regarding using the rack to maintain one's advantage in a game, ALWAYS playing the score, and overall game management. Tom Wirth's one pocket book is excellent for the controlled aggression approach but some posters on this site may need to play lesser players than themselves in order to have an opportunity to work on building and maintaining a position when playing the game. Just my .02 cents.
Tom has been working with me for a while. My abilities are limited but Tom stress' to be/think offensively and go for the run out and keep turning defense into offense. Sometimes the pattern is right and it works but in general
my biggest thought process is don't sell out so. Regardless of my level I like like Tom's style and try to think his way. We scrimmage and the benefit is I can see how weak I really am and where I really have to
work harder. I'm sorry I'm not neighbors with you. Would be fun to play and learn together. I do play with weaker players right now and it helps/hurts. I can explore but the bad part is I get away with bad moves or misses.... that does not help me
improve.
Good thread. The levels here vary. I think the key is to keep
our mind and eyes open. No limits.

Doc Frye

Last edited by GoldCrown; 01-11-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 PM
Verified Member

i agree with you stedyfred
cincy kid had a thread that ties into your post
the 90/10 blues
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12496
where you are controlling things and then make the one mistake that turns things around for the opponent
speaking for myself who doesnt have the firepower of the big boys
it is entertaining watching some of their shot selections and run outs
but its the traps that i REALLY LIKE TO WATCH AND LEARN FROM
that being said you still have to get 8 in your hole so you cant play defense all game
Old 01-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Verified Member

my style i would describe as hyper aggressive--mostly works but i have a tendency to try to do too much and i end up blowing games because of that--i need a bit more discretion at times......