The most beautiful table surface I've seen

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
That's pretty neat how he gets a pretty good roll on that table. He must have just enough water to have the same friction as cloth. Obviously, if he were playing on glass with no water, the ball would roll forever.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I don't know how that's done. Maybe a web search would give some answers.:confused:

I assumed it was some type of underneath projection mechanism. It doesn't seem like it would be a big tank of water. The surface seems to roll pretty much like a clothed table. Anybody know?

~Doc

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
I don't know how that's done. Maybe a web search would give some answers.:confused:

I assumed it was some type of underneath projection mechanism. It doesn't seem like it would be a big tank of water. The surface seems to roll pretty much like a clothed table. Anybody know?

~Doc

My guess is that it is a table size aquarium with glass at the top. The water is filled past the level of the glass just enough to create that good roll. I've seen many coffee table aquariums that were similar. The way the Koi behave seems natural and contemporaneous and as if they are there rather than in another location with a camera feed. I raised Koi for many years.

boingo

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
Could be a side projection believe it or not. In the late 90's I saw some work on a large TV screen like this. What confounds me is that the table seems to roll like there's a cloth on it. For obvious reasons optical surfaces like that are quite flat and smooth. I would have guessed projection from above onto a white cloth but I don't see any shadow cast by the players.

Mikey Town

It's a normal pool table, with normal cloth.

There is a motion sensing projector mounted above the table that is projecting the images based on the motion of the balls.

Look at his bridge hand before he hits the shot. The "water" is being projected onto it.

Here is a better video showing more of what this looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2IhHabAlI8

I prefer the koi pond, though. ;)