alex scott 40

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Turned out good... obviously a game winner...

Alex must have been very confident the combination bank was laying perfect to make the stripe... Otherwise he would never have risked giving up such a superior ball position and opening up balls on Scott’s side of the table...
Agree 100%. Alex took a flyer and got away with it. But unless he runs out, he's now put Scott back in the game with 4 balls that can now be made in Scott's pocket. Alex gave up his superior position and got lucky. Granted, the top 25 guys have some expectation of making that shot, but for the rest of us it's not an advisable choice, especially when there are other better ones. Had they decided to play "all offense"?..:D

~Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Turned out good... obviously a game winner...

Alex must have been very confident the combination bank was laying perfect to make the stripe... Otherwise he would never have risked giving up such a superior ball position and opening up balls on Scott’s side of the table...

A good teaching example Larry, but in all fairness to our brethren here, you’d almost certainly have to be at the table before shooting this shot...

Good one Larry, 👍 it did turn out to be something kind of exotic, even though it was Alex shooting, not Scott...

Enjoyed the wwyd, Thank you...

Agree 100%. Alex took a flyer and got away with it. But unless he runs out, he's now put Scott back in the game with 4 balls that can now be made in Scott's pocket. Alex gave up his superior position and got lucky. Granted, the top 25 guys have some expectation of making that shot, but for the rest of us it's not an advisable choice, especially when there are other better ones. Had they decided to play "all offense"?..:D

~Doc
doc not to be nit picky
but to me a flyer is a hail mary shot
this to me was a high reward medium to low risk shot for alex (not me)
he is close to his work
the stripe is close to his hole
and the stack keeps the cue ball from flying
continued

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

~Doc

i went back to watch what happened
he was on his way to run out
but after making 4 a skid caused him to miss
scott ran a few balls and the game got alittle more exciting but alex won that game
tony chohan i think once said (paraphrasing )
against the guys i play you dont get a chance to make a ball very often so when it presents itself you have to shoot

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
hind sight is 20/20
but for jeff
when i went back i found the view 2 shots before alex'a shot in the thread
alex almost made the stripe it BARELY skimmed the stripe near his hole on the way in to throw it off track
scott made a great kick off the head rail to put alex in the spot he was in
BUT alex had a feel for the
bank
here is a much better look at the layout
alex about to bank the stripe close to his hole
and the leave

alex scott preview 1.jpg

alex scott preview 2.jpg

El Chapo

Verified Member
doc not to be nit picky
he is close to his work
continued

i did not think this was a flyer either.

my opinion in spots like this is you can describe these shots as winning when you make a ball, and losing a bit of the move when the ball doesn't go. these shots need a name because they are so important.

there arent too many traps guys cant get out of by taking fouls or kicking or whatever. so you really have to ask yourself when dealing with this level of opponent, how am i going to get a shot. i would never say moving is not important, but i feel it is less important than it gets credit for. it is shots like this that turn so many games. and if he misses this he loses a little bit of the moving advantage but look at the upside.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Thanks Larry,
Nice of you to take the time to show how the situation of the combo bank developed... the side view is revealing in that we can see how the combo bank lays and also the dead combination in the top of the stack...

After Scott’s kick, I would bet the 11 ball was the perfect distance off the foot rail for Alex, where it made shooting the combo bank into it less of a risk... in other words, he was fairly certain the combo bank layed perfect to pocket the 11...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
doc not to be nit picky
he is close to his work
continued
It's a matter of definition. To me a "flyer" is a low expectation, risky shot, which describes Alex's shot. He'll miss that shot more often than make it. Look what he leaves for Scott if Alex missed the shot: an easy safety, and now Scott has balls in scoring position which he did not before. Alternatively Alex had an easier safety which would have put Scott into deep doo-doo. Alex got away with his selection (as we all sometimes do), and ended up winning the game.

~Doc