C. Bryant vs. S. Daulton 2006 D.C.C. #2

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Well if I was up there and had any chance of opening the cluster(3,10,8,9)
and ducking the C.B.near Charlies pocket, that would be my first choice.
Rod.
Rodney, I agree with what you have said, but my argument is I wouldn't let that possibility stop me from shooting a shot that was a good shot, for the reason that the position I needed to defend was not large enough for it to be a major concern. As long as I stayed outside of the angle that would allow you to shoot Vapro's shot i'm fine.

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Rod, thanks pal. I was feeling the need for a bit of support. :D

Vapro, I think we're looking at this situation differently. I believe your saying that your return shot is a good option, which I agree with. But what i'm saying is that the possibility of me leaving you in a position for you to be able to play your option, is not enough of a reason for me to not shoot what I believe to be a good shot, with the 5 ball bank. I'm prepared to defend against that position that would be favorable for your option, which to me is very defendable from the starting position, if it wasn't I wouldn't shoot the 5 ball bank in the fashion I described.

Dr. Bill

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Sure, Dr. Bill. From the photograph we have available, it's hard to tell just how far you would have to drag the cue ball to take advantage of the blocking balls. Could be that the other stripe uptable would block me from my shot. I'm good with all this. Be well.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Correct me if I'm not understanding the bank on the five ball. If you're playing to get it close to your pocket to present a bit of distraction so that your opponent doesn't go to offense. I don't see how you can get the cue ball to the top left top corner from the position of the cue ball and the five ball.
It seems that the cue ball is too far from the five to be able to drag it to the desired position. It has been suggested that a center ball hit with some left english will do the job. IMO draw will be needed to do that. With that draw you cannot lag the five ball to your hole.
I tried the shot a good number of times and could not even get close to the desired placement of the the two balls. If it can be done then maybe my stroke and cue ball control is not as good as I think it is.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Correct me if I'm not understanding the bank on the five ball. If you're playing to get it close to your pocket to present a bit of distraction so that your opponent doesn't go to offense. I don't see how you can get the cue ball to the top left top corner from the position of the cue ball and the five ball.
It seems that the cue ball is too far from the five to be able to drag it to the desired position. It has been suggested that a center ball hit with some left english will do the job. IMO draw will be needed to do that. With that draw you cannot lag the five ball to your hole.
I tried the shot a good number of times and could not even get close to the desired placement of the the two balls. If it can be done then maybe my stroke and cue ball control is not as good as I think it is.
You're correct Frank, refer to post #36 and #37 for a better understanding of the bank.

Dr. Bill

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Good, I missed those two threads, I'm glad I'm not going nuts. And yes it can be done with inside English but it becomes a much more difficult shot to execute.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good, I missed those two threads, I'm glad I'm not going nuts. And yes it can be done with inside English but it becomes a much more difficult shot to execute.
You're correct again Frank, it is a more difficult shot to execute but it's a better shot for the situation for many reasons. But isn't that how we get paid, by executing shots that win for us?

It's up to us to hone our skills to be able to perform when needed, and it also helps to know what shots are available to use our skills to succeed with. But the good thing about honing our skills, is that we then start to recognize things that we were oblivious to before. It just seems to be the better we're playing the more creative we become.

Dr. Bill