Alex Pagulayan - Tony Chohan 2006 Derby City Classic

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Alex really couldn't decide what to shoot here, he agonized for a while.

Freddie said he liked rolling up on those 2 balls softly and make Tony shoot the 8 away from that straight angle...jacked up. I liked this move as well.

In the end, Alex figured he'd softly move the 8 further up table and leave whitey under it, even though it could leave a 2 railer for Tony (who would shoot it in a heartbeat). However, he didn't hit the 8 hard enough to get a rail and left Tony here after the scratch.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

Freddie said he liked rolling up on those 2 balls softly and make Tony shoot the 8 away from that straight angle...jacked up. I liked this move as well.

In the end, Alex figured he'd softly move the 8 further up table and leave whitey under it, even though it could leave a 2 railer for Tony (who would shoot it in a heartbeat). However, he didn't hit the 8 hard enough to get a rail and left Tony here after the scratch.

Ouch, yea that's about as bad as he could have done...

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Alex would probably just bank the 8 straight back. It's hard to tell if there's a kiss (that may be what Alex is trying to decide), but if there is, I like Jeff's shot.

~Doc

I don't think you can get enough spin on the ball to avoid the kiss and to stun the bank would leave the cue ball in the middle of the table. You could bank it back down just to reposition the eight towards the bottom rail but there are better alternatives.

Cory in dc

Verified Member

I can safely say that my shot was better than Alex's (just this once, though)!

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I would have thinned the 1 ball on the left side and brought the cue ball back down table to the end rail. Opening up the 10 ball on my side.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Here is an easy solution to Alex's problem.
Rail first, right hand english, pocket the ball in the corner and bring the cue ball around and down table to the foot rail.

Tom

Attachments

• 0b4UvOh.jpg
    0b4UvOh.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Here is an easy solution to Alex's problem.
Rail first, right hand english, pocket the ball in the corner and bring the cue ball around and down table to the foot rail.

Tom

Your white line ended in an interesting place to protect the 8 with the 5 on the spot. Coincidence? :heh

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Your white line ended in an interesting place to protect the 8 with the 5 on the spot. Coincidence? :heh

Not as much as you might think, John. The white lines should play out pretty close to the way they are shown in my diagram but even if the eight is exposed there is very little that Tony can do with it.

Tom

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was thinking about something when Dr. Bill posted earlier about when you need 2 and your opponent needs more to make sure you have 2 in play (no more) - and now Tom getting 2 in play as well.

The way I learned coming up was if I need 2 and my opponent needs more, I am trying to keep all the balls tied up - don't give them a chance at getting back in the game. Be patient and let them force the error and pick them off as they become available...

Obviously with the advice/wisdom from both Dr. Bill and Tom I will now rethink this position the next time I am there.

Thanks to both for an eye opener that will ultimately improve my game!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Not as much as you might think, John. The white lines should play out pretty close to the way they are shown in my diagram but even if the eight is exposed there is very little that Tony can do with it.

Tom
Actually, if he would not be hooked by the 5 ball, he'd have a nice little two-railer on the 8 ball. The CB goes twice across to safety.

~Doc

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Actually, if he would not be hooked by the 5 ball, he'd have a nice little two-railer on the 8 ball. The CB goes twice across to safety.

~Doc

Doc, to shoot the eight two rails as you suggest and run the cue ball twice across would require a pretty strong hit on the eight. Who knows where that ball might end up if it doesn't split the wicket. I doubt even Tony would fly at that shot. Personally, I would welcome that attempt, even from him.

Tom

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I was thinking about something when Dr. Bill posted earlier about when you need 2 and your opponent needs more to make sure you have 2 in play (no more) - and now Tom getting 2 in play as well.

The way I learned coming up was if I need 2 and my opponent needs more, I am trying to keep all the balls tied up - don't give them a chance at getting back in the game. Be patient and let them force the error and pick them off as they become available...

Obviously with the advice/wisdom from both Dr. Bill and Tom I will now rethink this position the next time I am there.

Thanks to both for an eye opener that will ultimately improve my game!

The problem with that is if he can see the 8 ball Tony crosses it to his side and sends the cue ball up table and pockets the other hanging ball. Now there are 3 down here in play.. you have 2 balls hanging in pockets... leave them there!! thin the 1 ball open up the 10 ball to your side and bring the cue ball back down table.. its real simple.

t-dog

Verified Member
The problem with that is if he can see the 8 ball Tony crosses it to his side and sends the cue ball up table and pockets the other hanging ball. Now there are 3 down here in play.. you have 2 balls hanging in pockets... leave them there!! thin the 1 ball open up the 10 ball to your side and bring the cue ball back down table.. its real simple.

Chicken Dinner?

keoneyo

Verified Member

Great to see you back hack.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.

I'm glad you're back now I can enjoy a good argument. You say that you are going to cross the 8ball and then pocket the ball hanging in the top pocket, really.:lol The first problem with the shot you suggested is that in order to cross the 8ball and bring the cue ball back up table the 8ball must be crossed on top of the spotted ball:sorry That type of a hit will leave a return bank on the 8ball for your opponent. Secondly, the ball at the other end of the table really isn't hanging, it's outside the pocket, how can you feel that you're going to pocket that ball too.:frus

Your suggestion of thinning the 1ball is marginal at best, bad things can happen with that shot. Execution is a priority shooting your shot, you can scratch or you can give up a free two in the corner with the 8ball, or you can make a good shot that really doesn't do much for you.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
I'm glad you're back now I can enjoy a good argument. You say that you are going to cross the 8ball and then pocket the ball hanging in the top pocket, really.:lol The first problem with the shot you suggested is that in order to cross the 8ball and bring the cue ball back up table the 8ball must be crossed on top of the spotted ball:sorry That type of a hit will leave a return bank on the 8ball for your opponent. Secondly, the ball at the other end of the table really isn't hanging, it's outside the pocket, how can you feel that you're going to pocket that ball too.:frus

Your suggestion of thinning the 1ball is marginal at best, bad things can happen with that shot. Execution is a priority shooting your shot, you can scratch or you can give up a free two in the corner with the 8ball, or you can make a good shot that really doesn't do much for you.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Bill

Billy as usual you are confused..I wasn't replying to your option. I was replying to Toms version of making the hanging ball and bringing the cue ball 3 rails back down table by Chohans pocket which Cincy agreed with. If I can see the 8 I can bank it cross side into the side pocket and also try to roll down and pocket the hanging ball. Now there are 2 maybe 3 balls on the spot...

P.S. as far as your version of making the hanging ball... WEAK AS SKIM MILK

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Score 6/4 2 balls are completely out of play, 2 are tied up where only a two railer will go, and the 8 is loose. If it's me leading 6/4, I'm not really thinking about putting more balls in play, I'm wanting them to stay out of play. I like the fact that it's nearly impossible for my opponent to score more than one ball at a time.

Point being, I don't need to run two and out, all I need is one ball at a time and exercise some patience, I'm gonna let him break em loose one at a time, and guard against leaving me a shot. If someone has an explanation of why I should want more balls loose, I'd like to hear the logic behind it.

I'm still rolling the 8 up by the stripe and taking my chances from there.

1pwannabe

Verified Member
Score 6/4 2 balls are completely out of play, 2 are tied up where only a two railer will go, and the 8 is loose. If it's me leading 6/4, I'm not really thinking about putting more balls in play, I'm wanting them to stay out of play. I like the fact that it's nearly impossible for my opponent to score more than one ball at a time.

Point being, I don't need to run two and out, all I need is one ball at a time and exercise some patience, I'm gonna let him break em loose one at a time, and guard against leaving me a shot. If someone has an explanation of why I should want more balls loose, I'd like to hear the logic behind it.

I'm still rolling the 8 up by the stripe and taking my chances from there.

I don't like giving up the tempo by moving the 8, make your opponent move it and lose his move. Whenever you can put them in an awkward position, jacked up on that top rail shooting over 2 balls, do it. That forces them to play your game, not theirs.

Tom's choice of getting to the bottom rail and putting another ball in play also forces them to defend and play your game, so I like it as well. I just worry about scratching on shots like that if I'm not familiar with the table.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I don't like giving up the tempo by moving the 8, make your opponent move it and lose his move. Whenever you can put them in an awkward position, jacked up on that top rail shooting over 2 balls, do it. That forces them to play your game, not theirs.

Tom's choice of getting to the bottom rail and putting another ball in play also forces them to defend and play your game, so I like it as well. I just worry about scratching on shots like that if I'm not familiar with the table.

Alright,
If you roll on the 1/stripe,
I'm pocketing the stripe in the corner and bringing the CB back down table near my corner pocket. Four balls in play now, your shot.