Table speed question

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Does anyone know how to speed up older cloth on a table. My diamond has year old cloth, 760 Simonis, yet plays about two diamonds slower than the tables do at derby.

All responses welcome.

B

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
How old are the rails?
Is the cloth still pulled tight both on the slate and on the rails ?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
760 Simonis has no nap, it is so thin and fine you could literally make a fine suit out of it. Very fast cloth.

To check the cloth, place your hand on it and see if you can push (move) the cloth, if the cloth pushes/balls up then it is to loose, and needs to be re-stretched. Also make sure the cloth is properly installed upon the cushions, some installers pull the cloth to tight and it deadens the cushion.

If re-stretching does not do it, and the cushions look proper, I then would replace the cushions. I like the cushions that Diamond uses on the 7 footers vs. the cushions they use on their 9 footers. They are faster and are more responsive around the pockets, playing tighter. At least this should be researched before changing out cushions to make sure my statement is correct. Whitey

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Does anyone know how to speed up older cloth on a table. My diamond has year old cloth, 760 Simonis, yet plays about two diamonds slower than the tables do at derby.

All responses welcome.

B

Billie, do you have a dehumidifier in the room with the table? humidity slows the speed. K

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Yes I run a dehumidifier. The cloth is tight and the rails are as fast as derby. I am thinking about putting silicone on the cloth...

B

beatle

Verified Member
are you talking hitting a cue ball up and down the table and seeing how far it goes past 4 times. then 2 diamonds isnt that much difference. as said humidity and things like cleanliness of the cueball, etc can easily account for that.

and in reality most want their own table to play about the speed of where they usually play away from home gambling.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
How are you cleaning the table? Brushing? One, take a damp sponge and cleaning the sponge often like grouting, take swipes one way. Then let it dry. Vacuum. Repeat until clean. Polish your pool balls, then polish your balls. Don’t expect me to come down there unless you have a functioning table with correct speed. You will never get the speeds you get at the derby or any new cloth. The first couple of days at the derby, very fast and then it slows down. Think of how much it slows down after a year. Damn perfectionist

El Chapo

Verified Member
do you use power? not allowing that could help. maybe not as much as you would like.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Yes I run a dehumidifier. The cloth is tight and the rails are as fast as derby. I am thinking about putting silicone on the cloth...

B

Billie I used to play 3 cushion billiards at our pool room. the table played 1/2 diamond short. There was a guy, a good player, who used to spray the table with a walmart furniture polish that made the table play longer. Maybe the silicone would work or maybe it will totally screw up your table. good luck with that. Keith

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area

All responses welcome.

B

i'm pretty meticulous about keeping my table clean. i vacuum it and then with a small bucket of hot water and a microfiber towel wringed out damp, wipe it down head to foot direction, about 1/4 of the table at a time - dumping the towel in the water and wringing it out after each pass (you'd be amazed at how much that picks up).

i clean/polish my balls approximately every 6 - 8 hours of play/practice. if i have company, before they get there.....

might think about pulling off the top/rails and having a mechanic stretch the cloth (not a big deal for a diamond professional table - not sure about the pro-am model).

there's also a trick when pulling the cloth to make a table fast - give me a call sometime and i'll share....

good luck B.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Using a damp cloth will slow it down. Using a damp cloth where you live will likely make your table into a swimming pool:eek:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I thought 760 was the original super fast Simonis, which was deemed too fast for the pros, and my understanding is that Greg Sullivan actually worked with Simonis to come up with the 860, which is a little slower than the 760. This was back in the late 80's or early 90's, in transition from the napped cloth that dominated in prior years -- so going from the napped to the 760 was just too much of a difference. BTW the room I played in in the late 80's definitely had that 760, which was the first I had seen of it, and at first it felt like you where playing pool on a skating rink!

I believe now they have 860 that has a treatment that helps it resist stains and last longer, and it may play a little different from the standard 860.

Bille your table speed probably has more to do with where you are in the deep south, with high humidity. You can run a dehumidifier like someone mentioned, and you can also get a humidistat to measure (they are cheap, like a thermometer -- but the dehumidifier will also give you a reading, so you don't need both).

El Chapo

Verified Member
This is off topic, but one thing I have always found amazing, is players will for sure play very well on their own home table they practice on. But, you would think in a general sense their speed would go down measurably on a foreign table. From what I have noticed over the years players play about as good on their practice table as they do on foreign tables. I feel like this is some sort of phenomena that does not make sense at all.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
This is off topic, but one thing I have always found amazing, is players will for sure play very well on their own home table they practice on. But, you would think in a general sense their speed would go down measurably on a foreign table. From what I have noticed over the years players play about as good on their practice table as they do on foreign tables. I feel like this is some sort of phenomena that does not make sense at all.

I don't think its a miracle -- I just think that with talent comes the ability to adjust to different tables.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I've repulled cloth once....cloth will never play right, if it was pulled correctly the FIRST time.

Here's another thought, tho not sure of outcome, iron the cloth....20 % of it can melt. I'd do this before you replace it, last ditch so tah speak, it might work. Allot of us have burned ONCE a nice poly shirt with an iron before. But melting in within the 80 % wool weave, may work, and cost ya nothing. Good luck.

Jim McCary

Verified Member
When I get to a different table than I usually play on, I hit 12-15 practice balls and I just seem to adjust to the speed but the banks are a little different story. It takes a little while to adjust. I love to play on new cloth because it is so fast, with your cloth being 1 year old, it just naturally slows down with wear. The cloth at the Derby is new and this could be why the balls roll farther.

Jim Mc