Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2018, 02:49 AM
Verified Member

A lot to say and probably will forget a lot….

First and foremost….Bill Rowsey. What a gregarious and hospitable host. Can’t say enough about Mr. Rowsey and his staff. (Even if he did try to trap me for $10 into an impossible snooker table proposition….lol – smallest pockets you’ll ever see….) What a great guy. Can’t put it into enough words….

Very impressed with the way Crabb Man played. Both in the tourney and gambling. He should be very prideful. Didn’t see him coming – my wallet can attest to that.

Banks Tourney. Got a bye then played a local gentleman – Ronald Kelly – I believe is the man’s name. I hit a couple highlight reel banks but guess that doesn’t matter if the other guy gets out first. Showed up, played strong, came down to set ball and Ronald booked a winner. Unfortunate for him, Col Bille was his next draw….Bille wins and got beat by the local young man – Blake – who won the tournament. Strong showing Bille….

One Pocket Tournament. First draw. Uh-Oh. Got “Newkirked.” Still trying to figure our what happened. Might have made two or three balls in three games….lol. Always a pleasure to see Mr. Newkirk and his pal, Warren. Loser’s side, race to two, drew Nick Principe (Jakie). Put it on me first game. Second game, thought I had a chance to get a few with Nick sitting on seven, pocketed a ball but should have hit a touch higher, clipped a ball on the bottom rail and it rolled in front of Nick’s pocket. Layed real funny, so I tried to jump whitey off the table – drilled the ball just fine, but the cue ball got about a 1/2” of air and landed on the table spinning and just smiling at me….lol. Nick books a winner. Nick’s a very cerebral player and moves with the best of them – and a very cool cat.

Social. Too much to say. What a great group. Nice to finally meet Dan and Tracy in person. ChicagoFats is a riot – imagine he and I could get into some trouble if we were closer to one another…. I’ll admit, I was a tiny bit worried about JB – but he assimilated with the group quickly, was a gentleman, and didn’t go on tilt once.

The Stream. Sorry it was bunk the first couple nights. I’ll reserve further comment on that for now with the caveat that Bill and his local guy did everything and more on their end. (Including re-positioning the pit table and building a rail/window wall around it.)

Miscellaneous Thoughts. The thoughts around bringing something together went a few different directions – but ultimately the conception belongs to John Long. His wife, Jeanne, was a trooper in keeping the table assignments and bracket squared away. Speaking of troopers, Mrs. “Hardmix” Smith – a very pleasant and lovely lady – sweated the entire tournament and appeared content to do so. Of course, that “quiet” guy – Matt – came though with the shirts and helped Crabby with the calcuttas. Our main man in Memphis (actually Arkansas) Todd – made this happen with Bill. Thanks onepocketguy – another very cool cat.

Road Partner. Youngstownkid. Mark Mariani. Drove two hours out of his way just so we could ride down together. Thanks buddy – had a great time. Happy for your 4th place finish and very strong play.

The Future. We’ve got something here. Had a couple brief conversations with Bill and Todd about it and relayed my and Crabby’s thoughts to Steve today on the drive home. Simply stated, I anticipate future “mark it on your calendar” get togethers at Southaven Recreation Center.

P.S. Hope everyone had as good of a time that I did. I brought a camera but was too busy/forgot to snap any pictures – I’m sure plenty will make it on here…. But, here’s a cell phone pic from the big partner’s game last night (not a game for rookies….lol):

Name:  rec partners game.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  52.7 KB
(L-R: Ben, Nick P, Robert, Jason)
Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 AM
Verified Member

Default 2018 Memphis area onepocket.org Members Tournament

I made it home woo never been up for 24 hrs straight on purpose before never had this much caffeine before lol
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
Verified Member

Default Thanks Jeanne

Big thanks to John L's wife Jeanne for helping run the tournament board, writing everything down in legible writing, assigning tables/times, selling T-Shirts, helping do the math with me with the payouts etc. She was a real trouper and was a instant pro at this stuff! Thanks J. John

photo IMG_20180922_124120123_HDR_zpsiuexs0k5.jpg
Old 09-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Verified Member

Default Banks tournament

Banks tournament winner Blake Todd and 2nd place finisher Chicago Mike

photo 961ee7c1-5dfa-46d0-9a19-e5234b8909da_zpsabrvsoo2.jpg
Old 09-24-2018, 09:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbcatjohn View Post
Big thanks to John L's wife Jeanne for helping run the tournament board, writing everything down in legible writing, assigning tables/times, selling T-Shirts, helping do the math with me with the payouts etc. She was a real trouper and was a instant pro at this stuff! Thanks J. John

photo IMG_20180922_124120123_HDR_zpsiuexs0k5.jpg
John, all accounts shows you put on a hell of a show (and all else that helped). And you had a strong finish. Congrats.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:17 PM
Verified Member

Thanks for the picture Crabcat - you just made her day. Besides going to derby with me, you fellas made enough of an impression on her that if we do end up in Philly, she wants to drive out there so she can go too. Thanks again to everyone there who truly made us feel like family.

John
Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 PM
Verified Member

Default Proposed 1p.org host for 2019 BlueGrass Billiards in Philly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcomp45 View Post
Thanks for the picture Crabcat - you just made her day. Besides going to derby with me, you fellas made enough of an impression on her that if we do end up in Philly, she wants to drive out there so she can go too. Thanks again to everyone there who truly made us feel like family.

John

If it ends up in Philly, John, that would be awesome. My wife is really excited about the possibility and would 100% be there to hang out with her as well. Wives are funny. My wife is already making potential plans for making something called “Out of town Bags” for the attendees with Philadelphia fare hahha. (Queue the jokes).
Old 09-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
bags...
Patrice O'Neal (rip) said, "I don't want no beautiful woman that I can't send out for at six-pack a 2:00 am... rape is a pain in the a$$."

(My bag divorced me.)