Alex v. Scott: The Good, the Bad, and the ...

sunnyone

Verified Member
From
nyc
Ugly.

Let’s nudge Ugly out of the way first.

Operator? Get me wardrobe!

(Admittedly, in the context of pool streaming, invoking the word ‘fashion’ does a disfavor to the entire textile industry. Yikes!)

Alex is way too cute to wear a gangsta cap. Doesn’t need it, shouldn’t wear it. Backwards or forwards. Or edgewise or otherwise.

That minor Alex-aside aside … Great Scott!

To begin … well, where to begin? Was my calendar app off? Was it Halloween? Perhaps I accidentally jiggered my notebook settings to Garish?

(To be fair, if color blindness were involved, please delete the ‘attire’ portion of my mutterings.)

Forget the gaudiness … let’s think corporate-think for a sec.

In the ‘business formal’ world there is a reason why most of the WASP guys -- as they dash (flop-sweating!) to a Board meeting -- wear over-the-calf dark socks to accompany Hugo and Giorgio and Emenegildo. Comfort? No. Warmth? No.

It’s to avoid that icky-tacky flash of pasty-white flesh.

Nuff said.

As far as the Bad

Well, free is free, and free one-pocket is even better. But did we really need a potty-mouthed commentator?

It’s not that I was afflicted with the vapors or anything … I know all of the words. Or most of them. A lot of them anyway!

But, to me, it demeaned the stream a bit. As did the lack of ball-count awareness during many of the games. I had to go to work, so maybe that part improved later in the match?

But those two factors -- cursing and score-inattention -- indicated a commentariat casualness that detracted from my enjoyment of the match. A little bit.

Gosh … it’s one-pocket. It’s Alex and Scott. It’s 20,000 simoleons -- and that ain’t from nothing!

Saving the best for last … the Good.

Good for Point Of View Pool! Many thanks for the free stream! Thanks for the time and effort and investment to make the match available to the pool world. Your splendid coverage overshadowed any minor grievances I had.

Good for Alex!

Good for one-pocket. There was some nice exposure, decent audience numbers and a lot of ongoing conversations in the two pool sites I visit. Overall, a positive exposure for the game.

In Me ‘Umble Opine anyway!

Appreciation is my life,

Sunny

P. S. Sadly, the enjoyment quotient for many viewers was no doubt diminished because I couldn’t figure out how to elbow my way into Chat. So sorry!

P. P. S. Does the IRS monitor on-stream gambling matches? Hope not!

P. P. P. S. I read somewhere that Wall Street indexes predicted nine of the last five recessions. So don’t feel bad if you bet on Scott!

P. P. P. P. S. Should we shorten the WASP acronym to ASP? Ever meet an Anglo-Saxon Protestant who wasn’t White? Just a thought!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
The hat is duel purpose, gives another a false prolific impersonation of being juvenile, + in Long sets, having a brim trim the light is right.

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas
Correct Pool Atire

Correct Pool Atire

Sonny, I've often felt we've dissipated considerably since the sixties. This is how top players dressed for matches back in the day.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSbZaQADc8[/ame]

P.S. Pay no attention to the fat old man in the avatar. He obviously has no business critiquing the satorial choices of you young folks.

P.S.S Try to stay with the video past the 2 minute mark. Crane takes advantage of an opportunity.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Sonny, I've often felt we've dissipated considerably since the sixties. This is how top players dressed for matches back in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSbZaQADc8

P.S. Pay no attention to the fat old man in the avatar. He obviously has no business critiquing the satorial choices of you young folks.

P.S.S Try to stay with the video past the 2 minute mark. Crane takes advantage of an opportunity.

I've seen that match all the way through a couple of times. The audience is dressed so nice too. I always thought that nice slacks and shoes with a dress shirt and the vest was nice enough and gave good free arm movement as well as avoiding clothes from dangling on the table and they could put their chalk in the vest pocket if they wanted to. I couldn't believe Alex wore a cap the other night. Of course when you start out winning like that, you don't want to change one thing. I couldn't make a ball with a cap on. I might wear Scotts get up around the house...

tylerdurden

Verified Member
^Right, I just watched "Sea Biscuit" the other night, and it seems even the jobless people that had nothing to eat during the depression would dress up in a full suit just to leave the house (assuming the movie is an actual depiction). We certainly have changed in that regard. I like comfortable clothes, but I do think there is a time and a place for nice clothes, and I have gotten to where I don't mind wearing them in those times. I wish pool players would follow that thought, but then again, I guess one of the big points of being a pool player is really to rebel against the entire f-ing system.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
i have had this conversation with a lot of people. i'd like to see the top players who are (like it or not) ambassadors of the game dress like men also.

JG-in-KY DCC observation about the dress/professionalism of the european players was dead on.

i am too young to know first hand, but i have been told that willie masconi looked like he had just climbed out of a barbers chair and was dressed to the hilt whenever he played or made public appearances.

the world and our norms have changed, we don't need to go back to tuxedos or even ties, but what is wrong with dressing like you would on a job interview or a date?

-dustin "who still holds open doors for women" miller
:)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
i have had this conversation with a lot of people. i'd like to see the top players who are (like it or not) ambassadors of the game dress like men also.

JG-in-KY DCC observation about the dress/professionalism of the european players was dead on.

i am too young to know first hand, but i have been told that willie masconi looked like he had just climbed out of a barbers chair and was dressed to the hilt whenever he played or made public appearances.

the world and our norms have changed, we don't need to go back to tuxedos or even ties, but what is wrong with dressing like you would on a job interview or a date?

Fat was always dressed to the 9's. Plus drove a nice new car, I first saw him in 1963 in Hot Springs, staying at the Vapors and driving a new Olds Starfire. He was broke (temporarily) and biting $ 100 a day. What a guy !
Rod.

Last edited:

tylerdurden

Verified Member

I realize I am a broken record on some stuff, but this is yet another example of players not looking past their play to get the money. I see this over and over.... the only thing a player thinks can do him any good is practice, knowledge and shot selection. Nothing could be further from the truth. IF only they knew how powerful it would be to walk into a room looking good. Try to find a backer looking like you just crawled out of a gutter, vs shaved and dress nice.... backers have a clue..... present yourself nice and it would work wonders.... but we just don't see it, sadly. I see dressing nicely as win win too... more action, action players representing/promoting the game better etc etc.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida
Unfortunately it is a different culture we live in these days. Sloppy dress has become the norm and not just with the pool players. Even in church you will find men attending church wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Many women are wearing shorts to church. I find it disgraceful but who am I to judge. At least they are there. But I can't help but wonder how tough is it to dress up a little for the short length of time church takes out of your day. Many years ago (the '50s and '60s) I remember going to church and every man was dressed nicely with a suit and tie. Women wore beautiful dresses and always wore a hat of some kind. In the decades preceding that any semi-successful man always had a nice suit, a tie, and a hat anytime they were out in public.

It is my belief that one of the main reasons pool has such poor sponsorship is due to the fact that many players, not all, look like low life thugs. Big time advertisers have been and are still running for the hills when asked to contribute to pool seeing the best players in the world looking the way so many of these guys come to the table. Professionalism is more than just playing the game on the highest level. The players must also look and act the part. Sponsors must have confidence that every player will present themselves with integrity both in appearance and in conduct if our sport is to reach the status it deserves.

Maybe I'm just living in the past and this idea is gone never to return. I do know that if I had the funds to sponsor a pro pool tour I would be very reluctant to do so unless I had these assurances I speak of. I don't think it's too late for a pool resurgence, but it must start with proper conduct and appearance from the players.

JMO,

Tom

I apologize for getting on a soap box here, but come on everybody if you are a professional, and you are playing in a tournament where the public will see you, especially the young kids, you are a role model like it or not. Just be a positive influence and show some class by looking the part.

Tom

KindlyOleUncleDave

Verified Member
Here, hear .....

Here, hear .....

Unfortunately it is a different culture we live in these days. Sloppy dress has become the norm and not just with the pool players. Even in church you will find men attending church wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes. Many women are wearing shorts to church. I find it disgraceful but who am I to judge. At least they are there. But I can't help but wonder how tough is it to dress up a little for the short length of time church takes out of your day. Many years ago (the '50s and '60s) I remember going to church and every man was dressed nicely with a suit and tie. Women wore beautiful dresses and always wore a hat of some kind. In the decades preceding that any semi-successful man always had a nice suit, a tie, and a hat anytime they were out in public.

It is my belief that one of the main reasons pool has such poor sponsorship is due to the fact that many players, not all, look like low life thugs. Big time advertisers have been and are still running for the hills when asked to contribute to pool seeing the best players in the world looking the way so many of these guys come to the table. Professionalism is more than just playing the game on the highest level. The players must also look and act the part. Sponsors must have confidence that every player will present themselves with integrity both in appearance and in conduct if our sport is to reach the status it deserves.

Maybe I'm just living in the past and this idea is gone never to return. I do know that if I had the funds to sponsor a pro pool tour I would be very reluctant to do so unless I had these assurances I speak of. I don't think it's too late for a pool resurgence, but it must start with proper conduct and appearance from the players.

JMO,

Tom

I apologize for getting on a soap box here, but come on everybody if you are a professional, and you are playing in a tournament where the public will see you, especially the young kids, you are a role model like it or not. Just be a positive influence and show some class by looking the part.

Tom

Could not have said it better'n all you folk have done.

I can understand A.P. wearing a hat however; being built close to the ground as he are he needs keep the bright floods of the videographer out'n his eyes.

Recall watching a Major golf tourney in the 80's in the tournament room at Stonier's Jointed Cue in Sacramento when the commentators were announcing the prize breakout. The amounts were fantaboulous. Out of the crowd rang the voice of Ron M wondering, at high dB level, just , "why WE can't make that kind of &^$%#*& %$$*&@^ kind of ^*+_*#%$ money? We do a hell of a lot more ^#@(*%$ %$#& than they ever thought of !!! " ... or words to that effect ... somone thanked him for the rhetorical question.

JAM

Verified Member
Like it or not like it, the IPT did institute a STRICT dress code, and the players adhered to it. If they didn't, they were forfeited.;)

When I went to junior high school, girls had to wear dresses. There were no pants allowed, and the hem of the dress had to come to the middle of the knee. :p

I graduated high school in '71, right when the Woodstock era began. My mother would not leave the house with me and be seen in public if I was wearing blue jeans. :eek:

My father NEVER left the house without a suit on -- NEVER. And I don't think I ever saw him without a shirt on, bare-chested. It just was not heard of.

Like golf, I believe the pro pool player needs to be comfortable when shooting pool. On the IPT Tour, Keith had trouble with breaking balls because of the long-sleeved dress shirts would get in the way. They also interfered with his side-armed stroke. The leather shoes were a must on the IPT Tour, and we were lucky to find several pair that were comfortable for him to play in.

Today's young folks don't seem to think a dress code is necessary, and if a guy is wearing matching Air Jordan shoes, socks, shorts, and T-shirt, then he's dressed to the nines. :D

The women, on the other hand, do still dress appropriately. What a shame they are discriminated against in the pool world, past and present. Maybe this will change someday. :cool:

SJDinPHX

Suspended

Tom

Tom,

I, for one, totally agree with every point you made, and you stated them well too..You could even go a lot further in saying the grundgy, sloppy, disrespectful attitude, has permeated ALL facets of our society..Not only from presentable dress, but how about, young girls/women, using language that would make a drunken sailor blush..And music, (don't get me started on that) our youth won't even listen to it, unless it has at least a few F-bombs, PER SENTENCE !..And I guess its OK to let the gangster rapper's, teach our kids, that all women are just "Ho's"..I sincerely hope they kill each other off, as they seem to be trying to do...Its hard to determine exactly where, or when, it all started to go south..But it seemed, to me at least, it happened pretty fast !

No one under 40, (and many well over) seem to place any value on common, self-respect any more..And us older ones that point it out to them, are looked upon as dinosaurs..I too believe, if you are put in the position of being a role model, (or even just going to church) it is absolutely unacceptable, to look like you just got through mowing the lawn, or working on your car...For Chrissake, even "league bowler's" dress better than top professional pool player's, even when they know, they will be televised...Then they wonder where the sponsor's are ! Why would ANY sponsor want to present that image.(unless of course, they were selling sloppy. crack exposed gangbanger shorts, and dirty used tennis shoes)..What happened to wanting to look, like you were NOT homeless, even if you were...:( I give up !!!)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
It all started to go South with the advent of the ACLU. Everything that was decent was argued by these people.--Smitty

No argument there Smitty..They have single-handedly "De-Americanized" us. They seem to favor every anti-American stance, and it often looks like they are working for those, who only want to tear us down.(or maybe kill us ?) :(

Last edited:

lfigueroa

Verified Member
At the US Open Mark has a dress code for anyone playing: leather shoes; dress slacks; and a nice shirt.

At first I thought that was a little over the top, but after the first year I changed my mind. The dress code made the event look right and, to be honest, it made me feel like I was dressed right for playing in "The Open." I even kinda dug it when I would walk through the league player events and I stood out like a sore thumb amongst the thousands of players in jeans and T-shirts.

I believe our sport has been way too lax when it comes to the appearance of the players and I have wished for many years now, that Greg would enforce his dress code at the DCC: no caps; no track suits; etc. But he chooses not to. It always amazes me that even in the dead of winter some guys can find an excuse to play in shorts and flip-flops. You go to check in at the front desk and the way everyone looks makes you feel like you've just walked into a bar instead of a nice hotel. Maybe someday pool players will step it up a notch. We don't need to look like we just came out of Armani, just not Goodwill.

Lou Figueroa

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
At the US Open Mark has a dress code for anyone playing: leather shoes; dress slacks; and a nice shirt.

At first I thought that was a little over the top, but after the first year I changed my mind. The dress code made the event look right and, to be honest, it made me feel like I was dressed right for playing in "The Open." I even kinda dug it when I would walk through the league player events and I stood out like a sore thumb amongst the thousands of players in jeans and T-shirts.

I believe our sport has been way too lax when it comes to the appearance of the players and I have wished for many years now, that Greg would enforce his dress code at the DCC: no caps; no track suits; etc. But he chooses not to. It always amazes me that even in the dead of winter some guys can find an excuse to play in shorts and flip-flops. You go to check in at the front desk and the way everyone looks makes you feel like you've just walked into a bar instead of a nice hotel. Maybe someday pool players will step it up a notch. We don't need to look like we just came out of Armani, just not Goodwill.

Lou Figueroa

Lou, I stopped by and talked with Greg S. the Tue. right before it started....while waiting in the lobby this guy walked up to the ck in desk with his pants below his ass, and his buddy behind him also same get up and a gal, and they had plastic bags from grocery stores holding all their cloths and of course they had their pool cues. They weren't playing but their appearance did make a statement. That group looked like grafitti tagged boxcars at the RR.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
This the official dress code for ALL National and International 3 Cushion tournaments ALL over the World!

Tuxedo pants,vest,tie, black dress shoes and dress shirt.

View attachment 7822

This is a photo of me from the 1993 World Team Championships in Viersen, Germany.

View attachment 7823

It came be a little uncomfortable to play sometimes. but, you get used to it.

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Last edited:

Cary

Verified Member
From
Bertram, Texas

I have no idea how to do double quotes (maybe SJD will show me some day), but this is actually responding to two posts. Re: the dress of the poor folks back in the day, my grandfather was first a painter, later an independent painting contractor. When actually painting for a living he wore starched & ironed whites--paint spots and all. I remember my grandmother soaking them in tubs of starch and bluing. Later he wore a sport shirt & tie during Houston's summers, adding a sport coat or suit in the winter. He wore a Stetson fedora with either, always, when outside. Also, when I first started in construction nearly 50 years ago, even laborers changed into their good clothes before leaving work. They weren't about to get on the bus in their work clothes.

In August 1966 I went to a Mosconi exhibition in the Florida Keys (I think it was Big Pine Key but it was long, long ago). He wore a suit and tie during the exhibiton, in the non-airconditioned room. Afterwards, he loosened his tie and played a 14.1 money match with one of the local conchs from Key West, still wearing the coat.

P.S. He lost, believe it or not, puling up after the fourth game, having won the first and then losing three straight (all at 150-0). He really didn't look happy about it either.

P.S.S. I didn't know until years later that Mosconi had officially "retired" from competitive pool in 1958.

P.S.S.S. Just for you Sonny, I watched my grandfather pummel a guy half his age to supine unconciousness for cussing in front of my brother and I (we were 12 & 13 at the time). The guy should have heeded the first warning. My, how times have changed.

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
I hope you folks realize the game between Alex and Scott was not a tournament. It was a private gambling match and we were privileged that they agreed to let it be streamed.

So, it is ridiculous to start crying about how the players were dressed. But you should realize that Scott was "dressed to the nines." What he wore is considered the epitome of style these days. Tuxedos are as outlandishly outdated as top hats and capes.

What killed me is when some idiots on the stream chat complained about One Pocket Rich dropping a couple of innocent "f" bombs in his commentary. We were getting some world class insight into one pocket until Rich got yanked from the commentary.

It's time for anyone in pool who's main concern is dress codes and policing language to get out of pool and take up badminton or golf.