Something for the Insomniacs

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
shoot the four, draw aggressively back to the long rail, behind the 5 and bump it towards the other hole, then run out. Appears I'm able to use center draw and perform a slight overcut on the 4 to get my results. Because I'm hitting the back side of the 5 I'm able to hit the draw shot firm, thus giving me better control of the cue ball with a firm draw shot.

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
You almost have to start with the 4 ball. The other double and triple rail banks are low percentage.

Shoot in the 4 with low left, trying to draw back off the rail to the 1-1/4 diamond area. If too short, shoot the 5, if too long, shoot the 11. But the ideal position would allow a straight in shot on the 15, then bank the five, then straight in on the 11.

Cardone was undoubtedly kidding, but even though the 2-railer is a low percentage shot, if it would hang or get close to the hole, the opponent is not going to have much to bank at, and he now has to worry about the 5 ball. But of course no one who is sober would ever take that option...:D

~Doc

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Shoot the four, get my angle I want. Bank the five and use the 11 for a stopper. Then make the out ball. But I know damn he's just gonna say no bueno. Then show some jacked up fantastic way to do it. Unless he's triple steering me.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
You almost have to start with the 4 ball. The other double and triple rail banks are low percentage.

Cardone was undoubtedly kidding, but even though the 2-railer is a low percentage shot, if it would hang or get close to the hole, the opponent is not going to have much to bank at, and he now has to worry about the 5 ball. But of course no one who is sober would ever take that option...:D

~Doc

no question the 4 seems like the obvious choice to start with
but there is a very small cut angle and not alot of room to not hit the 5
in addition you need to have just a" smidgeon" of left on the ball when it hits the rail to be able to have shape and not over spin it
do able but tougher than it looks imo
the 2 railer is on the perfect line to bank
it leaves a built in safety if you miss and hit it at pocket speed
plus you know mr 3 cushion would like that type of shot.......:D
dr. bill might not have been as facetious as you think......:eek:........:D
jmho
icbw

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Bank the 11 and slide over behind the 5 ball. :rolleyes:
Really you shoot the 4 and try and get shape on the 15 and then bank the 5 or get behind the other two balls if you have the angle, not rocket science. :cool:

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
no question the 4 seems like the obvious choice to start with
but there is a very small cut angle and not alot of room to not hit the 5
in addition you need to have just a" smidgeon" of left on the ball when it hits the rail to be able to have shape and not over spin it
do able but tougher than it looks imo
the 2 railer is on the perfect line to bank
it leaves a built in safety if you miss and hit it at pocket speed
plus you know mr 3 cushion would like that type of shot.......:D
dr. bill might not have been as facetious as you think......:eek:........:D
jmho
icbw

VERY observant Larry, there IS a "back cut" angle shooting the 4 ball, this is why the CB could run into the 15 and the 5 if you draw the CB back.

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Is it possible to draw the cue ball back into the right hand side of the 5 to get behind the stripes after pocketing the 4? It looks like what I would try. It looks natural to me am I wrong.

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
Something for the Insomniacs

Is it possible to draw the cue ball back into the right hand side of the 5 to get behind the stripes after pocketing the 4? It looks like what I would try. It looks natural to me am I wrong.

That's what I see also. Bit of low right. Easy peasy.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
Gentlemen, If you have the angle to do that, you also have the angle to draw back between the five and fifteen. Now if the cue ball were frozen to the side rail than I like your option.

Tom

Tom; I knew as soon I replied to lll, mentioning a possibility to run into 15 or the 5 someone would figure out the. "soft" force-follow position shot!

That's why there's a "heads" and "tails" on coins, you can choose one or the other!

Tom, you have a table at home, can you set up the position diagramed and demonstrate the shot you suggest? Video it for the gentlemen.
Here's the layout again, with cut angle.

View attachment 10756

Last edited:

Tom Wirth

Verified Member
From
Delray Beach, Florida

Tom; I knew as soon I replied to lll, mentioning a possibility to run into 15 or the 5 someone would figure out the. "soft" force-follow position shot!

That's why there's a "heads" and "tails" on coins, you can choose one or the other!

Tom, you have a table at home, can you set up the position diagramed and demonstrate the shot you suggest? Video it for the gentlemen.
Here's the layout again, with cut angle.

View attachment 10756

Bill, I am unable to post a video. I can only do stills. Maybe someone else can do that. In any case,it is not a difficult shot. The soft draw is a definite option here.

I can set it up and shoot the shot, then post the results, but you all will have to trust me. So you might as well trust me now and save me the effort. It can be figured out too much difficulty with a bit of logic. If you can calculate the maximum range on this angle with the use of soft follow and soft draw, than you also understand that you can drive the cue ball on any angle in between. It is simply a matter of where on the vertical axis the cue ball is struck.

In this case soft draw can pull the cue ball into the five ball, therefore all that needs be done is to slightly change the location of the vertical hit.

Tom