"Stiffening" banks

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
As a companion to the Fixing Angles thread, how much do most of you over cut the OB to allow for the inside english to take effect, say, on straight-backs?

For example, in a firm hit straight-back aiming inside the center diamond on the short rail, do you allow for a quarter-ball difference? More? Less?

I'm sure that the wider angle the shot is cut, the more inside one needs, but there is a limit.

Most guys may just develop a "feel" for the shot, and don't actually think about it. But for the ones who figure it out, do you have a method?

Doc

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
If I have to shoot it that way, I favor the wide side and use speed to make it up. It is a speed thing/angle thing. I worked on my feel to tell if the wider cut adds any more spin or not and correct with speed.

I can't wait to hear what the real players say about that...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Rule of thumb

Rule of thumb

gulfportdoc said:
As a companion to the Fixing Angles thread, how much do most of you over cut the OB to allow for the inside english to take effect, say, on straight-backs?

For example, in a firm hit straight-back aiming inside the center diamond on the short rail, do you allow for a quarter-ball difference? More? Less?

I'm sure that the wider angle the shot is cut, the more inside one needs, but there is a limit.

Most guys may just develop a "feel" for the shot, and don't actually think about it. But for the ones who figure it out, do you have a method?

Doc

A handy rule of thumb, and a surprisingly accurate approximation, is one tip of english at a medium speed adds or subtracts a 1/4 diamond, more or less, in bank pool, or the equivalent of cutting the object ball 1/4 more or less depending on whether you are using favoring or reverse english.

Beard

That is my original theory, and I published it in my first book.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
fred bentivegna said:
A handy rule of thumb, and a surprisingly accurate approximation, is one tip of english at a medium speed adds or subtracts a 1/4 diamond, more or less, in bank pool, or the equivalent of cutting the object ball 1/4 more or less depending on whether you are using favoring or reverse english.

Beard

That is my original theory, and I published it in my first book.
Good rule of thumb, Fred. I have your book, but I forgot that that nugget was in there. I'll try it out next time I can get to a table. Thanks for the tip.

Doc

daphish1

Of all the things I've got out of Freddy's book, that alone was worth the cost of the book for me.

onepocket926

Verified Member
From
Anderson, CA
...step one.....

...step one.....

....first I like to bank as hard as I can (without forcing the ball off of the table)....unfortunately for some of the spectators a few (very few)....get away from me.....gets a feel for the bite of the cushions on the table......some are loose, weak, stiff, short or long.....a standard % of the ball doesn't work for me....I'm sure I'd be to busy thinking about it to control the other facets of the shot....