for the rules guys

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
suki said:
First of all it is not against the rules, just a foul.
Second if we accepted your reasons for why then we should not be able to jump a cue ball off the table either. Right? Jumping a cue ball off the table is part of the 1p game.
And I certainly would ask for a replacement ball w/o hesitation.

Number1. Any shot can damage a ball and the cloth. Weather its a jump shot massay shot or bracking hose cues over your knee or agaunst the table. So rule one isnt saying much.

Number 2 Itsalways dangerous around a table even in a poll room. Anything can happen. A fight a stick up a person pulling out a gun.

A argument starting a fight. Gangs thier are all kinds off problems that can happen in a pool room. A player loosing all his money going off. Theier are all kinds off things that can happen.

Number 3 THe equpment is no big deal. Equpment doesnt get damaged much. I havant seen any equipment getting damaged las 10 yimes I have been in a pool room.

Why would someone want to damage the equpment? And if they do they get bard. When was the last time you seen someone damage some pool equipment?

I seen in Bensingers were every cloth was cut with a razor blade. And you cant even play on the table ant more.

But that was done intentianal. Not by axedent. Its pretty hard too damage equpment. Its pretty solid. but I have a Idea and we can see how people feel about the rule.

Vote on what way you like the rule the best. Object ball off the table is a fowl or no Fowl. And give your reason. And we will see what people think.

If some one wants too set up the voting system. Lets do it. If not then we will be in the same spot as when we started.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Suki,

I should have been more specific. I a referring to Object balls Not Cue Balls.

suki said:
First of all it is not against the rules, just a foul.
Second if we accepted your reasons for why then we should not be able to jump a cue ball off the table either. Right? Jumping a cue ball off the table is part of the 1p game.
And I certainly would ask for a replacement ball w/o hesitation.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Suki,

I should have been more specific. I a referring to Object balls Not Cue Balls.

Cue ball off the eable is a foul. So its ok because it costs you a ball. You get penalized for it. But we are talking about a object ball off the table should it be a foul or not. That is the qouistion?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
A LEGAL SHOT is defined by the cue ball hitting an object ball and then either making contact with a rail and remaining on the playing surface or being pocketed.

Object balls ending up in the floor is not meeting the requirements for a LEGAL SHOT

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Cue ball off the eable is a foul. So its ok because it costs you a ball. You get penalized for it. But we are talking about a object ball off the table should it be a foul or not. That is the qouistion?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
androd said:
I've maybe done this a dozen times in my life. (give or take) when you're trying to give your opponent a ball or possibly double it out of his pocket.
I.E. The 10 ball,and you feel the 4 ball is coming back to hit the CB.

I hit down on the CB and get the 4 ball to hop. It goes off the table instead of kissing back or hitting the 3 ball and coming back to the CB.

It's the same stroke the 14.1 players use to hop the CB in to the middle of the pack instead of running into it.
Rod. <-----hope this makes sense.:)

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4AALW4BCpA3Cakh3DSCI3EOrb3FKBg3GChP3HBJt3IRlj3JbjV4KBKU3LGpL3MSIS3NBIy3ODFY3PIey@[/CUETABLE]
Pretty wild! Interesting shot. Of course with the 1po standardized rules, the shooter here would still get a foul, but the opponent's 10 ball would stay down. It gets the shooter out of a jam, though.

Doc

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Pretty wild! Interesting shot. Of course with the 1po standardized rules, the shooter here would still get a foul, but the opponent's 10 ball would stay down. It gets the shooter out of a jam, though.

Doc

If you shoot the 4 ball into the10 ball Why do you have to jump the 4 ball off the table? And were is the cue ball going.

Cant you just shoot the 4 ball to the right side off the ten ball and make the ten ball. And the 4 ball might even go into your pocket off the 3 ball.

And the cue ball behind the 5 and 9. And if the 4 ball goes off the 3 ball it will be by your pocket. And the cue ball behind the 5 ball.

Why do you have too jump the 4 ball off the table. Coild you explain it a little moore.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Artie Bodendorfer said:
Why do you have too jump the 4 ball off the table. Coild you explain it a little moore.

Doc asked for an example. I was trying to post one, not a problem. You've never seen the shot so you wouldn't understand it anyway. :)
Rod.
PS, These examples are hard to post, as I'm sure you understand .:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc, Just a thought reading your post, if it's a foul why would the 10 ball stay down ? I hadn't thought of this before. :confused:
Rod. :p
PS, Of course their would be no CB ball in hand.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Doc, Just a thought reading your post, if it's a foul why would the 10 ball stay down ? I hadn't thought of this before. :confused:

What would you call it a object ball foul? I dont no on any one pocket shot were a person fouls that he gets credit for the ball. Unless his scratches dont count.

How does he get credit for the ball if its a fowll on the shot. Thats another reason. That the object ball going off the table should not be fowl.

What happines in nine ball if the player breacking the balls makes one or two balls on the breack. And a object ball goes off the table? Is it a foul or does he keep shooting.

And do you spot the ball thats off the table. Do you spot the ball after the breack or after his inning is over.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
androd said:
The only instances where a ball made in an opponent's pocket would spot back up, is after a pocket scratch or the CB jumping completely off the table.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Artie Bodendorfer said:
What would you call it a object ball foul? I dont no on any one pocket shot were a person fouls that he gets credit for the ball. Unless his scratches dont count.

How does he get credit for the ball if its a fowll on the shot. Thats another reason. That the object ball going off the table should not be fowl.
We're talking about shooting a ball into the opponent's hole and fouling. The only two fouls resulting in spotting a ball made in an opponent's hole is when there is also a pocket scratch or when the CB leaves the table.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
We're talking about shooting a ball into the opponent's hole and fouling. The only two fouls resulting in spotting a ball made in an opponent's hole is when there is also a pocket scratch or when the CB leaves the table.

Doc
Androd's semi jump shot is still a great shot, it avoids the kiss and changes the table -- it does cost him a ball for sending the object ball off the table in our official rules. But you all should note that even in our official rules (which are geared toward modern tournament standards) there is an added option mentioned for the traditional house rule that object balls off the table are not a foul. Here is the complete rule and optional note from our own rules:

6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
NH Steve said:
Androd's semi jump shot is still a great shot, it avoids the kiss and changes the table -- it does cost him a ball for sending the object ball off the table in our official rules. But you all should note that even in our official rules (which are geared toward modern tournament standards) there is an added option mentioned for the traditional house rule that object balls off the table are not a foul. Here is the complete rule and optional note from our own rules:

Steve, I agree, this particular situation involving jumping a object ball off the table, is one that really boils down to the house rules and how they tend to play it in a certain pool room, or for that matter, a certain city or area of the country.

A person playing outside of their own home room, has 2 choices. Ask some questions on these types of oddball situations before playing or wait till them come up and find out how they play then:D

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:

Quote:
6.5 Driving either the cue ball or an object ball off the table is a foul, whenever either comes to rest off the playing surface, or comes in contact with anything other than the table itself while airborne.

Please note that One Pocket has been traditionally played in many areas without a foul charged for jumping an object ball off the table, contrary to current general pocket billiards rules; therefore it is important to verify house rules or your tournament director's interpretation prior to an important match.

Steve thanks for posting that. It make a lot more sense of the rule.:D
Rod.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
androd said:
Steve thanks for posting that. It make a lot more sense of the rule.:D
Rod.

Everyone has different rules. And everyone has thier reasons I guess. But the bottom line is thier should be good solid rules for gamblin.

Forget about the tournemets and why the make and have different rules. Too satisfie the TV people or because you only have so much time too play a match.

Thats Tournemets and real gambling has got nothing too do with silly tousnement rules. When You gamble get the rules straight before you play. Dont waite tell after youstart playing and a problem comes up.

I have played thousands off people and I have never got into any kind off disagreement on a rule.

They were playing for ten thousand dollars a game and thier was a gig argumet on a decision and the rule.

They called me at Bensingers and whated me too give a rulling. I gave the rulling and both players agreed.

And the net day the sent me one thousand dollars for giving my decision. And the both liket the decision and thiought it was fair.

THey could have asket some off the players in the Rack too give a decision. But they sisnt want any thier too give a decision. And they new I was fair and that I would give a good decision. And thats what I did.

Rules have to be clear so thier are no lupe wholes or tecknicalities in the rule. And Thier can be some very tough decisions for some refferees too make if the realy. Dont no and understand pool and the rules.

But THe eight ball rules are the most horrable thing I have ever seen. Its like a bally dancer made the rules. But I guess nobody has set uo a voting system yet.

On witch way the rule should be object ball jumping off the table. Fowll or no fowll. And If the oblect ball goes off the table and another ball is pocketet.The ball shouldnt count because its a foul.

And If the shooter makes a ball in his pocket and the ball jumps the table.If thats a foul he doesnt get credit for the ball he makes and its a foul witch costs him another ball. So you will be spootting 3 balls behind the spot. Is that correct.

If it is not correct then the rule a object ball jumping off the table should be changed and it should not be a foul.

beatle

Verified Member
it is a shame that rules that have been time tested for decades are changed just so the game is believed to be better for tv.

as for the rules of object ball fouls unless you have a ref. watching you can only play cue ball or two object balls moving. otherwise in a close game the opponent will say the shooter touched a ball and argue over it and no one can make a decision as it isnt apparent.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
beatle said:
it is a shame that rules that have been time tested for decades are changed just so the game is believed to be better for tv.

as for the rules of object ball fouls unless you have a ref. watching you can only play cue ball or two object balls moving. otherwise in a close game the opponent will say the shooter touched a ball and argue over it and no one can make a decision as it isnt apparent.

Belive it or not tournements have made the rules worse fot pool. And nobody is going to change the rules too what they should be. Or what the players want.

Its all about TV and tournements and you play by thier rules or see you latter.They do whats best for them and the tournements and the TV.

They dont care whats good for the players or what rules the players want. Its not a democracy. Its Communisum. It the rule helps them then thats what everyone will play by.

The dont have a pool Union or they couldnt get away with it. And on top off them making all the rules and you have to go by what they say. Like were little kids.

And TV gets away without the players getting any extra money that they are intitled too. And the players have too sign off on suing them and that the cant get no money.

When is all this shit going too change. The pool players have been getting FT long enough. Who is going too stand up for the pool players and change it. And get what they are in titled too.

Someone out thier must no how and what too do. Too help the pool players. And when they are over the hill they dont get no compansation or health care. They get nothing.

Find someone that can organize it and help the players get what they are intitled too.

They give thier whole life and then they get older and get spit. Players Like Ronnie Grady Freddy SJD Kelly Squarrale Thruman. All the older players who cant play like they use too are intitled to some benifits and compansation.

I hope someone steps up. And does something too help the older players that cant compete with the younger players. Start some organization to stand up and help the pool players that gave thier life and time to make the game what it is today.

And good Athlets are intitled too some benifits and money. CaliRed and some off you people who no how the system works . Do something to help these players.

They have given people a life time off thrilles and compatition. And showed people how to play. What is thier reward for all the things and games they played. And got nothing for playing

Excepte if they won. Its time somebody does something beside just saying how good they played.

Lets talk about it.

bstroud

Verified Member
Arties right.

People want to play with me and gamble they play the old one pocket rules. They were good enough for generations of players and they are good enough for me.

Want to play 9 ball. Forget one foul. What a stupid way to play 9 ball. It's like playing straight pool. Puts me to sleep. Kick at the ball see what happens. If you don't like the result have them shoot again. Forget TV. What's TV worth anyway. I don't see them putting any real money into pool. What are we stupid?

Bill Stroud

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
a foul is a foul.

a foul is a foul.

NH Steve said:

I played for many years where jumping an object ball off the table was not a foul, but somewhere down the line that rule was changed (for the better) and an jumping an object ball off the table is a foul and will be treated as such.

When you foul, all balls pocketed will not count as pocketed balls and and all fouls will be treated as such, including an object ball off the table.

Billy I.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
It is very simple.. Bstroud and Artie are correct.

When you gamble, you get to play the game you want to, agree with your opponent about the rules, race format, amount of money, time limit and what table to play on. How difficult is that?

When you play in a tournament you only have to decide if you want to follow the rules of the tournament or NOT.

It is very simple.

Currently, tournament rules state; it is a foul for a cue ball or an object ball to be jumped off the table.

The Doctor knows... Thanks Billy