The Best......

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
....... time I can remember out of many about this game would be at 16 walking down the 2 flights of stairs to a place with 49 tables and the first thing that hits you about halfway down is the sound of the clicking of the balls.Like being in church!!I can still hear them.Keep to the sunny side,B

Deeman

Verified Member
I can say the exact same thing about walking down the steps into People's in Memphis in about 1965!

Thanks for stirring that memory.

DeeMan

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
usblues said:
....... time I can remember out of many about this game would be at 16 walking down the 2 flights of stairs to a place with 49 tables and the first thing that hits you about halfway down is the sound of the clicking of the balls.Like being in church!!I can still hear them.Keep to the sunny side,B

When I was in High School I worked at a sheet metal shop right next door to the pool room. I would be in the yard unloading trucks, slagging welds or whatever, listening to the balls click for hours.

I couldn't get to the pool room fast enough when I got off work.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
usblues said:

When I was in High School I worked at a sheet metal shop right next door to the pool room. I would be in the yard unloading trucks, slagging welds or whatever, listening to the balls click for hours.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn

Winter of 66 here Deeman for me at St Paul Rec,how can a sound be so seductive?You would hear it before the voices,yet it wasnt real loud just wonderful.Good to hear another guy walked down into another world at the same time!Hey Mr H,used to work lots of metal-fab places myself.Lucky we can hear at all after that!Steel mills,boilermaker shops,shipyards.....money for beer and gambling aye?The Golden years....in a way..

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Been there done that... those Snooker and the Carom tables... and those 9 foot monsters.

What a great room. I heard Fats lost to a local there when Fats came to town looking for a game.

Deeman said:
I can say the exact same thing about walking down the steps into People's in Memphis in about 1965!

Thanks for stirring that memory.

DeeMan

Deeman

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Been there done that... those Snooker and the Carom tables... and those 9 foot monsters.

What a great room. I heard Fats lost to a local there when Fats came to town looking for a game.

Tom,

Why don't you get out that big wallet and come to Derby City? There are a ton of folks who would love to see you back in God's country. Remember Hamiltucky aint that far from you unless you walk! hat being said, I have made a personal promise to myself to never get on a commercial flight again unless iy is a funeral I have to be at other than my own!

DeeMan

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
jrhendy said:

John, back in your day I thought all the learning was in one-room schoolhouses. How could there have been a "high school"?:D

Wisecracks aside, my own pool coming of age was at Nick's poolroom and hat cleaning salon in Dormont, PA. I don't know which attracted us more: the clicking of the pool balls, or getting high from the hat cleaning solvent...:cool:

Doc

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Back in the 60's when I was 17 yrs. old, I was also walking down some dingy old steps leading down into the poolroom...

And for me, the poolroom was Bensinger's Billiard Academy...but instead of the beautiful sound of the clicking of the balls, what I heard as I was going down those stairs-that-were-"fraught with peril"..:eek:..were the loud, woofing voices of Artie and Freddy the Beard!..:eek:...:D

- Ghost

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I'll be there Jan 24 and 25th.

I'll be there Jan 24 and 25th.

Coming in on Monday and Tuesday, leaving Wed morning.
Got my ticket for the 1Pkt HOF dinner Tuesday night.

Hamiltucky... oh yes.. I love those people.. and they will be there.. I've already had contact.

Jay asked if I could assist him with the Fatboy Challenge.

Deeman said:
Tom,

Why don't you get out that big wallet and come to Derby City? There are a ton of folks who would love to see you back in God's country. Remember Hamiltucky aint that far from you unless you walk! hat being said, I have made a personal promise to myself to never get on a commercial flight again unless iy is a funeral I have to be at other than my own!

DeeMan

Deeman

Verified Member
SactownTom said:
Coming in on Monday and Tuesday, leaving Wed morning.
Got my ticket for the 1Pkt HOF dinner Tuesday night.

Hamiltucky... oh yes.. I love those people.. and they will be there.. I've already had contact.

Jay asked if I could assist him with the Fatboy Challenge.

Tom,

Can't wait to see you. I'll be there all week or until dead broke!

DeeMan

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Deeman said:
Tom,

Can't wait to see you. I'll be there all week or until dead broke!

DeeMan

Deeman, You won't be broke as long as I have money...(rough estimate..2-3 days at DCC)

PS...My first pool room was right next door to the Malt Shoppe, where all us kids hung out in jr. high...All the sweet girls in town, could not keep me away from the pretty green cloth, with all those balls rolling around...;)

Last edited: