Him vs. You #3

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Which is Rod's pocket ?
Rod.
P.S. If he just broke'em I can figure it out.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i like rods shot
only thing is will you leave a return bank??
if you draw higher towards the side pocket
1?? might kiss the cue ball and end up selling out
jnho
icbw

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Banking that 13 and then going to the end rail and into the 8 or 1 (shooter's left side) looks juicy. Looks like a big area to hit with the cb on the 8 or 1 and then drift toward the 6 vicinity. Truth is I probably would not shoot that, i'm too conservative (i'll keep my boring shot to myself), but i do like the way it lays.

andyk

From
Tucson, Az
I'd shoot the exact shot mentioned above, banking the 13 and sending the cue ball to the end rail and back into the one ball. It's relatively safe, especially if you clip the one ball and get the cue ball at or above the second diamond, which shouldn't be that tough. This shot accomplishes a couple things; get a ball on your side and most likely remove the one ball from play on the opponent's side. If that doesn't sit right, I'd try to two rail the 13 to my side and freeze the cue ball on the eight and one.

Andy

tylerdurden

Verified Member
I'd shoot the exact shot mentioned above, banking the 13 and sending the cue ball to the end rail and back into the one ball. It's relatively safe, especially if you clip the one ball and get the cue ball at or above the second diamond, which shouldn't be that tough. This shot accomplishes a couple things; get a ball on your side and most likely remove the one ball from play on the opponent's side. If that doesn't sit right, I'd try to two rail the 13 to my side and freeze the cue ball on the eight and one.

Andy

It definitely lays, and I would not bank it to make it, i'd bank it a little thin and it looks to me like the 13 would head about right at that 11 (which is ideal). The hit on the bank is pretty much parallel to the rail, maybe with a touch of right.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I set up those two balls and the one that looks like it banks and looking at it on a real table it definitely looked like the shot for me. The two balls are a nice big target and that bank looks real good, with ball-in-hand to get you set up just where you are most comfortable. I've drawn it below. Please note the cue ball is actually going to go farther than I drew -- the idea being to run the cue ball into those two balls, to open them up and hopefully get another shot. Ball-in-hand, you have to shoot these in One Pocket, imo.

Attachments

• Greenshot_2012-06-18_07-22-46.jpg
    Greenshot_2012-06-18_07-22-46.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Ball that's between the 10 & 13, I like hitting it first with a spinning horizontal plan center center left (3 o'clock), from the centerish left part of the head string area, making sure the struck ball goes to my side so it can be made either up or down table, with whitey behind the 1 and 8.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I set up those two balls and the one that looks like it banks and looking at it on a real table it definitely looked like the shot for me. The two balls are a nice big target and that bank looks real good, with ball-in-hand to get you set up just where you are most comfortable. I've drawn it below. Please note the cue ball is actually going to go farther than I drew -- the idea being to run the cue ball into those two balls, to open them up and hopefully get another shot. Ball-in-hand, you have to shoot these in One Pocket, imo.

I totally agree with this choice, you really have to butcher the shot to not do well with it. This shot carries a game winner attached to it and the hit seems easy enough to execute a very high percentage of the time.:D

Dr. Bill

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I totally agree with this choice, you really have to butcher the shot to not do well with it. This shot carries a game winner attached to it and the hit seems easy enough to execute a very high percentage of the time.:D

Dr. Bill

What can make it the nuts is the channell carom off the 8 / 1 as the cue ball leaves the 13, the carom, takes ya naturally with follow to the six, and with the six being their on the rail, snuggle whitey on the low side of the six.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Which is Rod's pocket ?
Rod.
P.S. If he just broke'em I can figure it out.

Congratulations Rod, you win a cookie.

Larry Nevel did indeed shoot the 13 two rails when matched up against Rafael Martinez at the 2003 DCC:). He left an easy reply though:(

LN's shot.jpg

He left Martinez here:

LN2.jpg

tylerdurden

Verified Member
Congratulations Rod, you win a cookie.

Larry Nevel did indeed shoot the 13 two rails when matched up against Rafael Martinez at the 2003 DCC:). He left an easy reply though:(

View attachment 6180

He left Martinez here:

View attachment 6181

I am always surprised at what people shoot, that probably just means I have no idea what i'm talking about. But that 1 was obviously coming right at the cb, if he would have hit the other side of the 8 ball with the 13, the 13 would have come right at the cb. I just dont think that is a good shot.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I am always surprised at what people shoot, that probably just means I have no idea what i'm talking about. But that 1 was obviously coming right at the cb, if he would have hit the other side of the 8 ball with the 13, the 13 would have come right at the cb. I just dont think that is a good shot.
You're correct Tyler, but is was a viable choice, along with the shot that both you and I liked, banking the 13 ball. There have been many shots that we critiqued that imo the shooter chose the weaker, or a weak option, but the important message is not so much the chosen shot but the choices that were discussed. Having the knowledge and ability to choose options is the strongest indicator that we understand situations, and isn't this what it's all about?

Dr. Bill

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
You're correct Tyler, but is was a viable choice, along with the shot that both you and I liked, banking the 13 ball. There have been many shots that we critiqued that imo the shooter chose the weaker, or a weak option, but the important message is not so much the chosen shot but the choices that were discussed. Having the knowledge and ability to choose options is the strongest indicator that we understand situations, and isn't this what it's all about?

Dr. Bill
I absolutely agree with you about this -- there is so much to learn about One Pocket, it's almost better when knowledgeable players disagree because we all get to hear the thinking coming out, rather than just describing the shot.

In a way, it reminds me of the critiques when I was in photography school. They kind of had a rule that you could not just say something like "I like this photo" or "I don't like this other photo" -- you had to add something more specific and in depth about exactly what it was you liked or didn't like and why. Because of this rule, the critiques were just about the best learning experiences from my whole time in school, even though a lot of the comments came from fellow students, who were just learning like me. Of course the staff critiques got a little extra weight :D And of course, we are very fortunate here at OnePocket.org to have some of the very best chiming in on our critiques.

THANK YOU!!

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I absolutely agree with you about this -- there is so much to learn about One Pocket, it's almost better when knowledgeable players disagree because we all get to hear the thinking coming out, rather than just describing the shot.

In a way, it reminds me of the critiques when I was in photography school. They kind of had a rule that you could not just say something like "I like this photo" or "I don't like this other photo" -- you had to add something more specific and in depth about exactly what it was you liked or didn't like and why. Because of this rule, the critiques were just about the best learning experiences from my whole time in school, even though a lot of the comments came from fellow students, who were just learning like me. Of course the staff critiques got a little extra weight :D And of course, we are very fortunate here at OnePocket.org to have some of the very best chiming in on our critiques.

THANK YOU!!

It's why I enjoy NOT reading any responses till I commit to the Verbal shot on the keyboard, then like all good players, you're committed and ready to take your licks and you might learn something.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California

Dr. Bill

I believe that he did see the bank on the 13 and it's very possible that he passed on that bank because he might have felt that it would not have left the area before the cue ball struck the one and the eight.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I believe that he did see the bank on the 13 and it's very possible that he passed on that bank because he might have felt that it would not have left the area before the cue ball struck the one and the eight.
That's possible Frank but to me it doesn't look like there's a kiss with the shot considering the distance the 13 ball and the cue ball need to travel after the 13 ball is contacted. Plus he can change the angle if needed, he had ball in hand.

Dr. Bill