Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
I tried a Predator Revo 12.9 -- I still have it, but I don't like the sound of it at all. And since I already play with a wood Predator low deflection shaft, to me the Revo doesn't even seem to have a significant degree of less deflection than their wood Predators, so what is the point?? If I was going from a standard wood shaft to a carbon fiber, yes that would be a big difference. But as I see it, not so much between those two kinds of Predator...
I like 12.9 for the break and long shots, but all of the other shots I prefer my regular maple shaft.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

I've had the opportunity to test a few carbon fiber shafts in recent weeks, starting at the Derby, and then these past few days at the Super Billiards Expo.

I generally do like them, and yes, they do sound a bit different than a traditional wood shaft. I'd say they're generally "quiet' in that they don't vibrate upon hitting the ball, though at times I did sense a hollow sound, but not from all of them. Playing with a carbon fiber shaft sure does take a bit of getting used to, but they're the next evolutionary step in cue technology.

I've counted as many as 7 or 8 producers of carbon fiber shafts:

- Predator
- Cuetec
- Jacoby
- Mezz
- Meucci
- Pechauer
- becues

I haven't seen or tried the Cuetec or Pechauer shafts, but I tried the others multiple times. Of all the ones I tried, the only one I didn't like was becues because it just didn't have any feel to it whatsoever. The Mezz played and felt great, but it's only available for Mezz cues for now. I also liked Jacoby's shaft even though they only offer it in a 12.4mm diameter and a radial pin at this time. The one that got my vote, though, was Meucci. It felt and played great (as good as the Mezz), and you can custom-order it in a wide range of diameters and whatever pin you want. I tried a 12.9mm on my McWorter cue with a 3/8 10 thread, and it fitted perfectly. What I particularly liked about it was the wood-to-wood contact. Yes, you heard that right. My cues screwed right into a wood plug 10 inches deep into the shaft. Maybe the wood insert is what contributed to the great feel I got from this shaft.

As far as low deflection, they're all very comparable, and yes, very low deflection. That said, I didn't see enough value in moving away from my 314-3 shafts, so I decided to spend the money on a pair of billiard glasses from Curran Opticians. For the first time in my life, I'll get a chance to play pool without astigmatism.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
Verified Member

This X-ray photo from a post on AZB seems to show that the Jacoby is a carbon wrapped wood shaft?
I have an older Cuetec shaft made this way I use for breaking. Not LD at all.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1478 View Post
This X-ray photo from a post on AZB seems to show that the Jacoby is a carbon wrapped wood shaft?
I have an older Cuetec shaft made this way I use for breaking. Not LD at all.
Wow! This is bad ass. Didn't even think of X-raying them. Of course I don't have a resource to do so. This is exactly what I expected and or feared.
These copy cat Revo's might have a higher amount of deflection then even a standard maple at the same diameter and taper. IF they are using cheap wood rods in the center then I would think it's possible for the shaft to still warp.
I have a brand new Revo and for what every reason there does seem to be the slightest warp. I test two so far that appeared to have this. It's very subtle.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmoretallpaul View Post
Went to the super billiards expo yesterday. Predator now has another new shaft. You get to tell them how you want it. Joint to taper to tip. Let the craziness begin
That's great news, I feel like the perfect shaft for me would be 12.5 or 12.6. When are they launching this. PREDATOR IS THA BESTEST!
Haa that will probably annoy old school guys.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytronic View Post
That's great news, I feel like the perfect shaft for me would be 12.5 or 12.6. When are they launching this. PREDATOR IS THA BESTEST!
Haa that will probably annoy old school guys.
you can order it now and get it whenever they have it....just kidding
getting revos has been hard due to predators inability to keep production
up to demand...at least thats how it was a few months ago
Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
you can order it now and get it whenever they have it....just kidding
getting revos has been hard due to predators inability to keep production
up to demand...at least thats how it was a few months ago
I have an extra Revo12.4 uniloc I might sell. Mint, should go high in this famished market
Old 05-01-2019, 02:08 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytronic View Post
Wow! This is bad ass. Didn't even think of X-raying them. Of course I don't have a resource to do so. This is exactly what I expected and or feared.
These copy cat Revo's might have a higher amount of deflection then even a standard maple at the same diameter and taper. IF they are using cheap wood rods in the center then I would think it's possible for the shaft to still warp.
I have a brand new Revo and for what every reason there does seem to be the slightest warp. I test two so far that appeared to have this. It's very subtle.
So a follow-up post in that AZB thread states that a Jacoby carbon shaft was taken apart and found foam and not wood inside.
Still, I wonder why the foam extends to the tip. How does that make the front end mass lighter weight than the body of the shaft? All of the other carbon shafts have the last 5 ~ 8 inches hollow.

PS; I'm waiting for someone to make one 32" long for $150, as I think that's
about all they are worth to me.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1478 View Post
So a follow-up post in that AZB thread states that a Jacoby carbon shaft was taken apart and found foam and not wood inside.
Still, I wonder why the foam extends to the tip. How does that make the front end mass lighter weight than the body of the shaft? All of the other carbon shafts have the last 5 ~ 8 inches hollow.

PS; I'm waiting for someone to make one 32" long for $150, as I think that's
about all they are worth to me.
I got a 30" Jacoby radial pin last week, 30" is a special order and the longest they are making right now. Was very hard to get this soon but i knew a guy...lol. Haven't hit a ball with it and looking to sell it. I'm sticking with my Revo as i'm just getting used to it and don't want to
swap around.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Verified Member

I purchased the Cuetec 15K CF shaft about a month ago. I have only been able to play with it twice since then. Been busy.

Like the hit, but will have to play a lot to get used to lower deflection than wood shaft. The feed back on hit is just as good as maple shaft.

The best part is the 12.5 mm from tip to 15" up shaft. Pro taper for 15 " is the nuts. Did not think I would like the 12.5, but I do.

Going into serious practice for MOT Philly next week. Just a warning to you guys.