Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2019, 03:09 PM
Verified Member

Default Ghost vs. Steve 5

You're in the end game and you're in an uncomfortable position...

Steve's shot --- Steve's pocket is at the bottom left --- ball score is 5-4, Ghost ahead, both going to 8 --- the cueball is frozen to the rail --- the 10-11 combo is wired for me...

Consider this game vital = that you're hill-hill here in a Derby City match --- you don't want to leave your opponent a shot....

...one "fraught with peril" option >>> with the cueball frozen to the rail, and the existing angle, to thin the 10 to get back down-table without running into the 1ball would take a perfect/difficult hit........so then, wcyd/wwyd ----->

Well, as far as I know, I believe that along with Bill "Mr. 3cushion" Smith, I am the only other pool player left around who was a regular at Bensinger's Billiard Academy, and after that, Freddy, Bobby (R.J.'S dad), and Phil's North Shore Billiard Club during the 1960's and 70's....and after those two memorable rooms closed, the action, and yours truly, were to be found at Marie's Golden Cue, The Billiard Cafe, and Chris's Billiards....that said, let me chime in to this thread to say two things...

#1. It gets asked a lot (as in this thread) whether Artie in his prime, really was as good as, if not better than, the top few One Pocket players of that era - the answer is, he was - and trust me, I'm not being a 'homer' in saying that...and also, having watched Artie play Boston Shorty, Nick Varner, my old friend Bugs, etc. etc. and knowing the game of One Pocket to the extent that I do, my assessment of Artie's game is qualified. And it's always pathetic when someone from another part of the country pretends to have an informed opinion re. the level of Artie's One Pocket game back in the day, when they really weren't there, and don't know.

#2. I just want to say a few words about my old friend, R.J.'S dad Bobby...

Bobby was a really great guy, a super funny guy, and a real good gambler...he was my pinochle partner a good amount of the time, and we won more than our share of games - except when his ego got a little bit the best of him and he bid too high ...and speaking of ego's, Freddy, Bobby and Phil each thought that they were the best pinochle player in the room, if not the country......RIP my brothers, and bank on.

- Ghost
Attached Images

Last edited by One Pocket Ghost; 08-17-2019 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:10 PM
Verified Member

Last view ----->
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 04:17 PM
Verified Member

I would slow roll the 11 into the right side of the 10 pushing the 11 to the rail and off a bit in a effort to block the bank on the 3. The cb will float up. You need to make sure the 10 clears enough to not leave a bank and out course not to go to high leaving a shot on the 11.

This will buy you a inning in hopes of a better position.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Verified Member

Thin the 11/bump the 8.
no link....
Old 07-18-2019, 04:36 PM
Verified Member

Well, I am at the keyboard, so here goes.

I would cut the 11 hard to bank the 10 to my hole. The 11 goes off the 10 towards my side of the table.

Shots like this get me out of my conservative game.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Verified Member

Shoot center to center thru the 8.

Hard enough to get the 8 to bounce clear of the end rail. That wired combo has at least 2" of daylight you would be too scared to shoot it
Old 07-18-2019, 05:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewkirk View Post
Well, I am at the keyboard, so here goes.

I would cut the 11 hard to bank the 10 to my hole. The 11 goes off the 10 towards my side of the table.

Shots like this get me out of my conservative game.

Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 05:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post
Shoot center to center thru the 8.

Hard enough to get the 8 to bounce clear of the end rail. That wired combo has at least 2" of daylight you would be too scared to shoot it

Attached Images

Old 07-18-2019, 05:30 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Pocket Ghost View Post
You're in the end game and you're in an uncomfortable position...

Steve's shot --- Steve's pocket is at the bottom right --- ball score is 5-4, Ghost ahead, both going to 8 --- the cueball is frozen to the rail --- the 10-11 combo is wired for me...

Consider this game vital = that you're hill-hill here in a Derby City match --- you don't want to leave your opponent a shot....

...one "fraught with peril" option >>> with the cueball frozen to the rail, and the existing angle, to thin the 10 to get back down-table without running into the 1ball would take a perfect/difficult hit........so then, wcyd/wwyd ----->
If Steve’s pocket is bottom right, wouldn’t the 10/11 be wired for him... So I’m going with Steve’s pocket must be the other one... If that’s true, then I’d try a T-Rex �� shot... Elevate all the way and spear the right side of the 11 ( less than 1/2 full hit on the 11 ) with as much right side draw as I could get off the frozen cb and hit the shot with enough speed to move the 11 to my side and combo bank the 10 at approximately pocket speed to my hole...The cb should bank off the long rail and move up table towards the other long rail, hopefully behind the 1 ball...

On second glance, the cb speed looks bad... no good, it’s to fast... forget about it...��

Sorry Newkirk. Didn’t see your response...

Last edited by Jeff sparks; 07-18-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:16 PM
Verified Member

I'm kicking that one ball in my hole with firm speed then banking your 11 ball next