Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 12:30 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post
Bill why wouldnt the incoming player just come thin off that 14 and leave whitey back in that top left corner?
You're forgetting about the 9ball, if the 9ball comes across table onto your side then look at the situation.

Let's assume the 9ball doesnt come across table and your opponent thinly sliced the 14ball and leaves you up table on his side you then will have options. You can either split the 6ball and 2ball and send both balls toward your side or you can bank the 6ball three cushions toward your pocket and send the 2ball over as well in the process. Or you can lag softly into the 10ball and send the 15ball toward your pocket while safely dropping g into the rack. Plus balls will be open to your side.

Now take a look at the other options other than coming off the 14ball and envision the results.

Like I said you will have the first good move coming off the 14ball, try it and find out for yourself

The main benefit of coming off the 14ball is that you will put your opponent in a position to not hurt youand like I mentioned the first good move figures to be off your stick.

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 09-02-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:36 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Will you be in New Orleans for Tony/Dennis match?
I would like to go down but it doesn't look good. I haven't played any pool since the Derby, not even hitting balls on my table which is stupid. Im thinking about starting back playing if I do then going to New Orleans is more predictable.

Dr. Bill
Old 09-02-2019, 01:50 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
You're forgetting about the 9ball, if the 9ball comes across table onto your side then look at the situation.

Let's assume the 9ball doesnt come across table and your opponent thinly sliced the 14ball and leaves you up table on his side you then will have options. You can either split the 6ball and 2ball and send both balls toward your side or you can bank the 6ball three cushions toward your pocket and send the 2ball over as well in the process. Or you can lag softly into the 10ball and send the 15ball toward your pocket while safely dropping g into the rack. Plus balls will be open to your side.

Now take a look at the other options other than coming off the 14ball and envision the results.

Like I said you will have the first good move coming off the 14ball, try it and find out for yourself

The main benefit of coming off the 14ball is that you will put your opponent in a position to not hurt youand like I mentioned the first good move figures to be off your stick.

Dr. Bill
Iím starting to see you getting the 9 to your side but Iím not convinced that itís all that great to do that. One might be able to up and down that 9 to his hole or off the 6 to his hole. Possibly come off the 10 and hide behind the 9. It just seems to me your giving up a gimme combo for a poke and hope.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:54 AM
Verified Member

Dont believe the 6 is available from top left corner.
Refresher pic
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 AM
Verified Member

[quote=DWS;263344]As a good friend of the Ghost's, let me ask you a question.

While other members of this site thank the Ghost for taking the time to put up countless excellent wwyd's over the last 10 years or so, you instead say things to try and provoke him. Tell me, why is that? I've seen this several times from you, and here's a couple of examples that I looked up:

And over on azbilliards, in a thread where a guy was asking about what poolrooms in Chicago were good to play at, after Pat Johnson mentioned the Ghost, you posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Ah yes The Ghost...Pissing him off is worth my airfare to get there.
WOW...You had to go over to AZB to find me "badmouthing Ghost". Come on now. I know how to conduct myself. According to Steve B I was member #2 here thus I have a little history. My reference to pissing of the Ghost was about he doesn't like what I shoot. That's all. Bruce is a fine man and good player. We happen to disagree on what is the right shot FOR ME. I'm a shooter and thus playing into the hands of a mover is the "wrong move". I need to challenge him with shots he feel uncomfortable shooting and make balls that he wouldn't. When I do I need to maximize my output and put points on the board. Getting in a draw out movathon does not work for me vs him. Making balls that he thinks I shouldn't shoot and executing does. That's what pisses him off.

I put up a shot which I legitimately thought I would shoot. Illustrated it and explained my thinking. He in turn put up a meme implying I'm dumb. Well I'm not sore because it's his way. I'm ok with it and Bruce is a big enough boy to defend himself. You don't need to be so sensitive for him. Nore do I need to bow at his alter because he chose to put up a WWYD. It's a forum. Everyone's input is welcome. I stand by my conduct.

Oh and if you can find something on this site that I should apologize for I will. Please provide.

Nick B

Name: Nick Beretanos

Last edited by Nick B; 09-02-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Verified Member

I'm out. You two fight it out or whatever. Done with this high school girl bullshit.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
Iím starting to see you getting the 9 to your side but Iím not convinced that itís all that great to do that. One might be able to up and down that 9 to his hole or off the 6 to his hole. Possibly come off the 10 and hide behind the 9. It just seems to me your giving up a gimme combo for a poke and hope.
Jim, to me this situation strongly favors the non shooter unless you get the first good move. You guys are hell bent on protecting the 14/9 combination when it will be a liability if you choose to preserve it IMO. Take the Ghost's results as an example, you can see that the shooter has the ability to play the 5ball to the side rail and then into the 14ball sending the 9ball toward his side while having the luxury to follow the cue ball to the side rail, or stop the cue ball where it lays now. Now your 14/9 combination is gone and your opponent has the first good move and strengthened his position. Look at it this way..if you leave the 14/9 where it is in your opinion do you think you will get the first look at pocketing it before your opponent has the ability to move it either by sending the 9ball to his side or laying on it by kicking softly, which is just as strong? The answer IMO is no. That's the reason why the 14/9 is a liability from the way the balls are positioned because there's no reliable way to protect it. If you do try to preserve it you are much more often than not, going to find yourself in a inferior position and wish you hadn't.

Now by moving it while controlling the 9ball back to your side of the table and leaving the cue ball long up table on the top left you create a difficult position for your opponent to deal from. From this position your chances of leaving anything good for your opponent has been reduced considerably and then you figure to get the first good move.

Jim, if I were your opponent I would love to see you look elsewhere and leave the 14/9 where they lay because of how restricted you are with moving the cue ball to a good position. This has been confirmed with all the crazy suggested options from this position, most of them involved low% kicks that look good only from our computer screens, lets get real about this.

Onepocket is a game of strategy and understanding positions is the key to employ the best strategy for the situation. It's like having a beautiful girl in hopes to have her your girlfriend, if she's a liability in many ways you have to break it off as good as she looks, it's going to be hard but if you don't you're going to find yourself BEHIND THE 8BALL.

Dr. Bill
Old 09-02-2019, 10:32 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoperro View Post
Dont believe the 6 is available from top left corner.
Refresher pic
My apology, I was thinking you were going to thin off the 14ball and send the cue ball up table to the other side of the table, I stand corrected. However, It would be extremely difficult for you to thin off the 14ball and send it back up table on the left side, realistically speaking.

However, you must consider the 9ball if it comes back across table and foils your move of thinning off the 14ball. Now what?

Also if you're able to leave the cue ball up table on the left you then give up the long cross corner on the 5ball that carries a natural angle to position the cue ball three cushions to the side rail in just about any area of it.

have to go good luck with your game.

Dr. Bill

Last edited by wincardona; 09-02-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:27 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
Doc, the 9ball will not hit the 6ball, if you look at the way the balls are positioned if anything it will hit the 2ball and figures to come close to your pocket. But that's just a plus with the shot considering the spot you're in. If you don't come off the 14ball then you're definitely at a disadvantage because of allowing your opponent to have the first good move. Even with the shot the Ghost chose you can clearly see that the player at the table has the advantage. By positioning the cue ball at the top left quadrant of the table your opponent will be hard pressed not to leave some type of a decent move for you when you get back to the table.
Dr. Bill
If the combo'd 9 won't bank into the 6, then it's not the worst shot in the world. The fact is that there are no "good" shots available here. The best one can do is "less bad". And sometimes the perfect is the enemy of the good.

The more I look at this layout, I'm thinking that CK's original suggestion in post #3 is as good as any: lag to the side pocket on the opponent's rail. If the opponent then wants to take a swing at the narrow angle cut on the 6, he's probably risking the game on that shot.

~Doc
Old 09-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
no offensive shot?

one rail up and down table to hit the 10 on the noggin. that 15 ball has a few ways to go and its a game winning shot if you arent spastic and cant hit the 10.

if you dont make a ball he doesnt have too much.

pat is getting too smart for his britches so lay that one on him and give him the shakes for the rest of the match.
This was my first coice.

2nd choice is th 2 rail behind the 5 with a little speed and let the cue bal float up table like a ticky. (oh I just saw that Nick of the North thought of this one, too. Great minds...)

Last edited by 12squared; 09-02-2019 at 01:49 PM.