Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapo View Post
You gotta shoot at a ball here, the 13. I hate losing after a kick or some other ducking move.
If you want to shoot, how about banking the 13 and spininning the cue to take out the 10(?) in the corner? But I am in the camp to kick at the 10 ball using the short rail as the 2nd rail to try to bank that ball to my side.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Verified Member

I would have to bank the 14 to the long rail and play below the ball in opponents pocket
Old 09-06-2019, 02:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb Pauchon View Post
Hi,
What do you guys think of playing safe off the 14 to buy some time until you have a clearer view on the 10? The resting positions of the balls seem easier to control than with the kick or playing the 13 on the 10.
Maybe less effective than the other two options, but maybe less risky ?
Or too passive?

seb
I like this shot except I want to make sure the ball is on the short rail not the long rail
Old 09-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Verified Member

If the full cue jump takeout is available that would be my 1st choice.

I see at least 4 ways to scratch/foul on that kick -and I like to kick.

I may bank that 13 at the 14, taking them both out of play and see if thats enough rope for my opponent to hang himself.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Verified Member

im kicking also, trying to remove the ball from his quadrant
Old 09-06-2019, 05:55 PM
Verified Member

I'm cutting the 13 for my pocket with a firm stroke. I would want to give myself the best chance I can get to pocket the ball so whatever I need to do to accomplish that, that is how I will want to play the shot. I have also played the shot with a zig zag pattern on the cue ball, sending it side rail side rail towards the ball near my opponent's pocket. This I might do if I feel the three balls are ideally positioned. I've played this shot in this way numerous times with a high success rate. There is a reasonable chance I can leave the cue ball down low and along his side rail. If that happens he won't have much of a shot on it. Either way I'm shooting of my pocket in this situation.

As was stated by others, there are several ways to sell out the kick shot which is a purely defensive shot. The cut shot is not much more difficult, so for my money I'd rather go down swinging than I would ducking. This also sends a message. I know of no player who prefers seeing their opponent shooting at their hole verses playing safeties.

One more thing that favors the cut shot for me. If miss the shot but I over cut the 13, it will run three rails towards the top left corner essentially taking it out of play. I'm very likely still in the hunt should I sell out that one ball.

One other factor that was not mentioned. Is the 13 ball past the foul line? If it is than anyone contemplating the kick is asking for trouble.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com

Last edited by Tom Wirth; 09-06-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Verified Member

The 13 is on the line, so not available in the event of scratch. What would you guess is your make percentage on that 13 ball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wirth View Post
I'm cutting the 13 for my pocket with a firm stroke. I would want to give myself the best chance I can get to pocket the ball so whatever I need to do to accomplish that, that is how I will want to play the shot. I have also played the shot with a zig zag pattern on the cue ball, sending it side rail side rail towards the ball near my opponent's pocket. This I might do if I feel the three balls are ideally positioned. I've played this shot in this way numerous times with a high success rate. There is a reasonable chance I can leave the cue ball down low and along his side rail. If that happens he won't have much of a shot on it. Either way I'm shooting of my pocket in this situation.

As was stated by others, there are several ways to sell out the kick shot which is a purely defensive shot. The cut shot is not much more difficult, so for my money I'd rather go down swinging than I would ducking. This also sends a message. I know of no player who prefers seeing their opponent shooting at their hole verses playing safeties.

One more thing that favors the cut shot for me. If miss the shot but I over cut the 13, it will run three rails towards the top left corner essentially taking it out of play. I'm very likely still in the hunt should I sell out that one ball.

One other factor that was not mentioned. Is the 13 ball past the foul line? If it is than anyone contemplating the kick is asking for trouble.

Tom
Old 09-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Verified Member

I'll keep that estimate to myself, thanks.
Some things need to be found out the hard way.

Tom

"Controlled Aggression" trwirth369@gmail.com
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 PM
Verified Member

Default WWYD at The Broken Rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12squared View Post
If you want to shoot, how about banking the 13 and spininning the cue to take out the 10(?) in the corner? But I am in the camp to kick at the 10 ball using the short rail as the 2nd rail to try to bank that ball to my side.

Finally somebody selected my shot lol. Good go off eye 👁 Dave. Iím just lucky enough to pull it off. Lol
Old 09-06-2019, 08:13 PM

I am either kicking or possibly playing safe on top of the 13. Which may be an intentional foul. While many will disagree with my line of thinking here if I am playing for 20 I might just go for it but if I am playing for over 100 a game I am probably looking for a way to duck.