Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Verified Member

Easy for you to say.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:55 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepockethacker View Post
Judging by some of the answers of the more "seasoned players" on this site and their thinking process, Lou is right about one thing..

I think I gonna faint.

Lou Figueroa
Old 08-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
I think I gonna faint.

Lou Figueroa
There's an 8-word phrase a few posts above that's at least as faint-worthy.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:58 PM
Verified Member

the wwyd things are great. you get all the perspectives from a wide range of players in ability and thinking. none are of course as smart or play as well as the hacker but we can live with him.

the point isnt to try and find what the greatest would play for a shot, but to see and get to feel what your opponents might be doing to you.

when i play i know what the right shot is for me for the cash. but i need to know what my opponent thinks is the right shot for him so i can put him in the spots i want him to be stuck in. so learning how others think is more important than figuring the best shot for yourself, as that shot depends more on your opponent than you.

i didnt see billy i. play one pocket as when i saw him he was still a nine ball champ stealing away the girl i had been working on for a few days for a date and ran off and married her in a week. but only him and eddie kelly really thought through the racks they played properly for themselves, giving themselves the best chance to win each game. not just giving the best chance to run out. two different things and make or break being great.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
the wwyd things are great. you get all the perspectives from a wide range of players in ability and thinking. none are of course as smart or play as well as the hacker but we can live with him.

the point isnt to try and find what the greatest would play for a shot, but to see and get to feel what your opponents might be doing to you.

when i play i know what the right shot is for me for the cash. but i need to know what my opponent thinks is the right shot for him so i can put him in the spots i want him to be stuck in. so learning how others think is more important than figuring the best shot for yourself, as that shot depends more on your opponent than you.

i didnt see billy i. play one pocket as when i saw him he was still a nine ball champ stealing away the girl i had been working on for a few days for a date and ran off and married her in a week. but only him and eddie kelly really thought through the racks they played properly for themselves, giving themselves the best chance to win each game. not just giving the best chance to run out. two different things and make or break being great.
Very interesting post, beatle.

thanks
Old 08-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post

Great point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keoneyo View Post
What was great about the Eddie Robin's book was that there were different shot selections to every situation. And that even though they were all top players they had differing selections. I think these decisions were based on their personal experience and forte. From Weenie Beenie to The Cannon to Grady and etc they gave a wide field of choices.

For some these WWYD's are to come to grip with the basic tenets and rules to playing solid one pocket. While we know that great players often break rules in order to get to where they want to go. Innovative and daring will always establish new order but traditional ways might still get you where you want to go.

It depends on many factors and that's where name calling and one upsmanship prevents growth.

We should be discussing these factors.
For example.
Ball count.
Tournament or Cash.
Condition of equipment.
Condition of Opponent.
Condition of Hero.
Level of players.
Level of Stakes involved. etc.

If the reason for the WWYD is to show how such a great teacher and master you are then fine but it loses its relevance for me.
If its to show how knowledgeable you are and others not then Im indifferent.
And in that sense I can somewhat say that Lou is right in his attitude towards WWYD's.
Cause I somewhat agree. Unless if we are to really unmask ourselves and look at weakness and strengths then its a cupcake at a party that has no nutrition if devoured and has only temporary gratification.

What I'd really like to see is a WWYD where you personally didn't know the answer and messed up and wanted to know your other options that could've been more productive.
What I'd really like to see are situations where you played a top player and not someone who you can give 2 balls to.
Everybody makes mistakes in our game. Everybody misses. Everybody makes wrong selections. Part of the worth of WWYD's are to find out why.
...and another great point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona View Post
You have the luxury to choose the shot that best suits the situation for a player with good to great pocketing skills, others may not. As a player I must adjust my shot selection to suit my ability, obviously my perspective on many things on the pool table have changed. When I respond to a wwyd i'm explaining for the most part what I would do, and the readers must understand that's not may be right for them or another player with a different skill level. I try to use good common sense when explaining situations, unlike a few that rebut (like yourself) and don't understand that there are other options that are just as effective than the ones their advocating. (to each his own) depending on who the shooter is.

What I have that you don't have is the experience of going from a very top player to a decent player, in doing that I have developed the understanding on how to adjust my game (through necessity) This was done through "trial and error" ..the old fashion way. So, I have been every where you have been and then some, plus I have experienced the process of going from 1 to 100, and then from 100 to ? well back to 50..if you know what I mean. So, you need to slow down on your statements about how older players think as being wrong. One day you'll be "the old dog" not the "big dog"

In regard to how players thought back in the day, well the best players back in the 70's and 80's thought and played excellent, don't be fooled on how many people talk about how conservative and careful they played, it's just not true. Players back then played very aggressively as well, and there were many players back then that could have more than held their own against any of the one pocket players of today. Needless to mention who they were.

Dr. Bill
...and yet another great point!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJohn View Post
There's an 8-word phrase a few posts above that's at least as faint-worthy.

John, I must be blind. Don't see it.

Lou Figueroa
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
John, I must be blind. Don't see it.

Lou Figueroa

"...I can somewhat say that Lou is right..."
Old 08-18-2015, 09:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
Great point!

...and another great point.

...and yet another great point!!!
Good point.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Verified Member

Modern players have learned by way of playing that if you pass up on opportunities, what you are actually doing is giving your opponent chances to make great shots, which they will do. Next thing you know, a few shots down the line you are frozen to a ball downtable and the guy just jammed a couple balls near his hole -- and you are PRAYING you had that 8 ball to shoot over again. You don't take a shot where you are the BIG BIG favorite to make and get shape and you are just asking for bad things to happen because you are giving your opponent heart.

Shooting and staying in that aggressive frame of mind is winning pool, and it is how every player who wants to keep progressing needs to be thinking.