Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default How short those wet southern Diamonds bank

I got knocked out of the tournament by BRLongArm, the "BR" presumably meaning Baton Gouge, so he really had a good feel for playing on this kind of table conditions -- even though this is not his home room. There was a shot that he played several times that I can tell you, up north this shot is a fantasy only normally. Down here on those "wet" Diamonds, I could not believe how short balls banked, which made this shot not only possible, but you could easily fall too short!

Many on you looking at this, or trying it at home will think I am way off on where the ball comes off the last rail, but I can assure you, I am not -- that is where you had to hit it!!

I know it took me until late Saturday night after hours (thank you CoryinDC for staying out late with me) before I started finding the sweet spot for even the most basic banks, they went so much shorter than what I am used to at home.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
I got knocked out of the tournament by BRLongArm, the "BR" presumably meaning Baton Gouge, so he really had a good feel for playing on this kind of table conditions -- even though this is not his home room. There was a shot that he played several times that I can tell you, up north this shot is a fantasy only normally. Down here on those "wet" Diamonds, I could not believe how short balls banked, which made this shot not only possible, but you could easily fall too short!

Many on you looking at this, or trying it at home will think I am way off on where the ball comes off the last rail, but I can assure you, I am not -- that is where you had to hit it!!

I know it took me until late Saturday night after hours (thank you CoryinDC for staying out late with me) before I started finding the sweet spot for even the most basic banks, they went so much shorter than what I am used to at home.
You are right about everything you say here, the only thing I see that needs to be changed is where you put the 1 ball... Move it down the long rail another 10 or 12 inches and you have got it perfect.... They bank that short!!!! The bank you illustrate here is a routine 3 in the side, I saw it happen several times.... Unbelieveable!!!!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Verified Member

Wow, I set the shot up on my table which banks about a half of a diamond shorter than the Gold Crowns I play on at the pool hall and went deep to the back rail every time i shot it even when i finally got it slowed down to pocket speed. I thought it would be the speed and the reverse english coming off of the 4th rail straightening it out but to no avail. I am in Augusta, Ga in a basement with humidity about 1000%. No question that is a short banking table.
I have a 4 rail shot I can make on my table no matter what the weather is that I need high humidity to make at the pool hall but nothing like that shot. Ill shoot it on the GC today and see what happens.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Verified Member

It was ridiculous how short those tables banked lol. I felt like I was guessing on most of my bank shots. I finally got adjusted on Monday morning. When I was the only tournament player left in town at Bogies. 😁
Old 09-27-2016, 10:48 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
It was ridiculous how short those tables banked lol. I felt like I was guessing on most of my bank shots. I finally got adjusted on Monday morning. When I was the only tournament player left in town at Bogies. 😁
mitch those hurricane drinks in the french quarter must have got to you...
the tournament was at LACY'S
Old 09-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Verified Member

standard type bank we played on the 5 by 10's. doesnt go on most other tables.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lll View Post
mitch those hurricane drinks in the french quarter must have got to you...

the tournament was at LACY'S

Ha! Not me buddy. 20 years sober . But obviously still crazy 😂. Lacy's.... yes.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkbtank View Post
Ha! Not me buddy. 20 years sober . But obviously still crazy 😂. Lacy's.... yes.
Mitch twenty years sober would have put you at 12 when you quit drinking. You have to start drinking to get sober.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrzbill View Post
Mitch twenty years sober would have put you at 12 when you quit drinking. You have to start drinking to get sober.

Lol. Started at 13 and quit at 25. That was enough for me 👍. I likely wouldn't have made it to 26 😳.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Verified Member

Indeed, those tables banked very short. When you were playing a cross corner down by your hole and the object ball was near the foot rail, it was almost impossible to get it to turn enough to make it..it almost rolled up hill!