Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Verified Member

Default How are you improving your game?

Have you ever had a stroke mechanics lesson?
Old 08-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Verified Member

Try taking a step or less back with your rear foot on long shots, it gives you a little different look. Might help your alignment, hopefully.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 08-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomike View Post
Lately I have really been trying to commit to improving my eye alignment over my cue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Me too.
For me it's mostly about aligning my cue under my eyes - tweaking the positions of my elbow, shoulders, torso, hips, feet (along with head) so my most natural straight stroke is aligned with my sightline.

pj
chgo
Old 08-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Verified Member

For me, I've been focusing on a slow, smooth backswing that is the same for any speed of shot. It does seem to help. But I'm not certain if that's because doing this makes me focus more generally or if it's really the slow backswing. Probably some of both and if the results are good, I guess it doesn't really matter!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:10 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstownkid View Post
Have you ever had a stroke mechanics lesson?
A short one from Alex Lely a few years ago...hes excellent. I may need another evaluation.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in dc View Post
For me, I've been focusing on a slow, smooth backswing that is the same for any speed of shot. It does seem to help. But I'm not certain if that's because doing this makes me focus more generally or if it's really the slow backswing. Probably some of both and if the results are good, I guess it doesn't really matter!
slow backswing /pause/and smooth acceleration
is ALMOST orgasmic........
Old 08-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Verified Member

I spend hours working on mechanics and pre-shot routine. biggest thing for me is pausing in my back stroke and focusing on point of contact. one other thing I have been trying recently is what I see amar and tony doing which is standing up on every shot before they pull the trigger on it. I am not decided on how good the standing up is yet but seems worth trying as they are both great executioners
Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

When you're practicing and start on a run for a particular pocket you need to really focus to do everything right on every shot.
Everyone has their shot routine and system for aiming. We're all different and do thing our ways but the one thing everyone needs to do is to give your full attention to every shot.
Many times when we practice we will miss a routine shot and just drop that ball with our stick as if we made it and continue shooting.
If we're going to miss let it be on a shot that's more than routine. Don't be lazy and take shots for granted and say to yourself that you would have made it if you had really tried. That's being lazy.
You will play like you practice.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:11 AM
Verified Member

One way to improve your game that doesn't often get mentioned is to take time off. Who knows why or what the hell, but taking some serious time off and getting back in there full force can be the most devistating way to improve i think.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:26 PM
Verified Member

Default How are you improving your game?

After I get down over a shot I keep my feet in place and stand up to re-evaluate the shot and with my feet in place get down over the shot and shoot. For whatever reason re-evaluating gives me a different perspective and removes any doubt I might have at my initial decision.