Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Verified Member

Before April, except for a couple of months using the original pre-314 Predator shaft (six segments) I bought in 1994, I've always been an old school high deflection wood shaft guy. I didn't much like my Predator, didn't like the feel or sound of my friend's Predators, and pretty much hated the idea of low deflection, preferring to continue using my aiming and spinning gimmicks that I had taught myself with the wood.

In April, on a complete whim, I embraced the Dark Side and bought a Revo 12.4 from a guy who had had it converted to fit my Jensen cue. Still not sure why I jumped in, but I could plug it right in and I figured I could sell it fast if I didn't like it.

I liked it. Immediately. It took me about 15 minutes to get over the initial differences so that I could apply my gimmicks successfully. I use back hand English on most shots that require spin as I find that it works well enough with my aiming process. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but with the high deflection shafts, it seems I'd need to go a tip off of dead center to compensate for the deflection; with the Revo, I can get the same action with an eighth of a tip. I can use more than that, and do, and I've learned how to adjust for the much less deflection given off by the Revo. On some shots, rather than use back hand English, I could down on my aim line with the desired English, and still make the shots, but I'm more comfortable just using back hand to stay on the aim line.

One of the first benefits discerned quickly is long shot accuracy. For instance, there is a ball near my opponent's hole that I need to bank three rails towards my hole. Even if I'm 8 feet away, or jacked up, my chances of hitting the object ball where I think I'm aiming have gone way up since a slightly off center hit on the cue ball is not penalized as much as with the high deflection shafts. This phenomenon seems to be true with all long shots hit with center cue ball; my unintentional off center hits just go straighter.

People complain sometimes that it is hard to softly spin the cue ball, or to use the same kind of tender finesse they can get with a wood shaft. At first, I wasn't sure, but over time I'm feeling very comfortable with high spin soft shots for ducking and moving. Center spin shots don't swerve and I'm learning how to judge them with more precision.

Ever since I started using the Revo, I've been telling myself that I'll just get rid of it as soon as I'm not convinced anymore...still convinced and still using it. I even like the looks of it now since it goes very nicely with my ebony and black leather Jensen.

As for the sound, which at first seemed to be a higher pitched "ping", I don't even hear it anymore.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobermory View Post
Before April, except for a couple of months using the original pre-314 Predator shaft (six segments) I bought in 1994, I've always been an old school high deflection wood shaft guy. I didn't much like my Predator, didn't like the feel or sound of my friend's Predators, and pretty much hated the idea of low deflection, preferring to continue using my aiming and spinning gimmicks that I had taught myself with the wood.

In April, on a complete whim, I embraced the Dark Side and bought a Revo 12.4 from a guy who had had it converted to fit my Jensen cue. Still not sure why I jumped in, but I could plug it right in and I figured I could sell it fast if I didn't like it.

I liked it. Immediately. It took me about 15 minutes to get over the initial differences so that I could apply my gimmicks successfully. I use back hand English on most shots that require spin as I find that it works well enough with my aiming process. This probably doesn't make any sense at all, but with the high deflection shafts, it seems I'd need to go a tip off of dead center to compensate for the deflection; with the Revo, I can get the same action with an eighth of a tip. I can use more than that, and do, and I've learned how to adjust for the much less deflection given off by the Revo. On some shots, rather than use back hand English, I could down on my aim line with the desired English, and still make the shots, but I'm more comfortable just using back hand to stay on the aim line.

One of the first benefits discerned quickly is long shot accuracy. For instance, there is a ball near my opponent's hole that I need to bank three rails towards my hole. Even if I'm 8 feet away, or jacked up, my chances of hitting the object ball where I think I'm aiming have gone way up since a slightly off center hit on the cue ball is not penalized as much as with the high deflection shafts. This phenomenon seems to be true with all long shots hit with center cue ball; my unintentional off center hits just go straighter.

People complain sometimes that it is hard to softly spin the cue ball, or to use the same kind of tender finesse they can get with a wood shaft. At first, I wasn't sure, but over time I'm feeling very comfortable with high spin soft shots for ducking and moving. Center spin shots don't swerve and I'm learning how to judge them with more precision.

Ever since I started using the Revo, I've been telling myself that I'll just get rid of it as soon as I'm not convinced anymore...still convinced and still using it. I even like the looks of it now since it goes very nicely with my ebony and black leather Jensen.

As for the sound, which at first seemed to be a higher pitched "ping", I don't even hear it anymore.
See? You really do know how to make sense if you want to.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:57 PM
Verified Member

I'm not a low deflection guy, but I have tried several types of CF shafts just out of curiousity. I tried a few including Predator Revo and found that the Jacoby Black was the most solid feel and the quitest.

Again, I'm not a user but I did try several.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:13 AM
Verified Member

Default Meucci carbon pro 30 inches 11.75 kamui soft black

Recent my z2 cracked so i had to get a new shaft i tried the revo for a time and the Meucci i found the revo to be way too powerful and i didnít like the taper also my was using an 11.5 and the 12.4 was too big also my cue was 30 inches. At first it annoying to hear the ping sound but i do not notice anymore. Also the revo was too powerful for me the Meucci has a wood joint that softens the hit. I believe that people hit a few balls with these shafts and donít give hem a real chanc. Iíve played 8 hours a day for 10 days with mine in 4 tournaments a few one pocket marathons and then a few days of just testing shots and hitting balls. At first i could only do 70% of what i could do now i feel like 85% and i believe in another two weeks Iíll be at 110% the spin i get on the ball is insane. The energy transfer seems to be real and not hype. Idk why you would use a glove as i find the best thing about the cue is that it stays smooth and is easy to clean even when itís extremely humid. I donít think people really give them a chance.

At the same time the revo wasnít for me so donít just try the revo and lump them all in with that they are all very different with different specs.

One thing is for sure i wonít have to replace this due to a cracked shaft anytime soon.

Cheers!
Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
I've tried a few of the carbon fiber shafts and have not been happy with the ones I've tried. They all seem to have a pinging sounds that I don't like. Plus non seem to satisfy me for one pocket. Other games it's ok except for the sound.

While in Vegas I met up with Charlie Bryant and tested the Becue shaft and it feels like a wood shaft and doesn't have the metal sound. I decided to buy one because I liked the hit, sound and taper.
I'm wondering if those here that have played or play with a CF shaft what input do you have on them and if you are satisfied playing one hole with it. And for those that have tried the Becue what are your thoughts.
Thanks for your input.
Iíve been playing with the 12.4 Revo for over a year. I won the MOT a month after buying the Revo. The little ping with the Revo doesnít bother me. At Derby I bought a 12.0 Prime M. It squirted way more than the Revo and felt real spongy. I hated it and sold it a few weeks later.

I recently had a Kamui clear pad installed with a medium Searing Precision tip and it has all but eliminated the ping but without the squirt of the BeCue.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Verified Member

Default Carbon fiber shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
i dont think rubbing it on your skin for hours at a time might be good.

Yer supposed to play pool with it bruh 🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Almanza View Post
It's those super soft spin shots that I'm having trouble with...

Yes. Agreed. Everything else I like though, except the sound, and price. And look. But soft shots definitely get more spin and feel different.

What I like most is using inside English and not worrying about aiming adjustments!

Last edited by youngstownkid; 10-25-2019 at 07:26 PM.