Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Verified Member

Default ball settling rule scenario

This isn't 1p but could happen in any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dty5...outu.be&t=3742

Aside from laughing because it's hilarious, what do you do here?

I know balls 'settling' and falling in a pocket should be restored, but what about in this situation where it settled during play and affected the course of the cue ball??

In this particular situation for this big game with cameras if I were the ref i think i'd rule to restore those balls and redo the shot.

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:35 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakynito View Post
This isn't 1p but could happen in any game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dty5...outu.be&t=3742

Aside from laughing because it's hilarious, what do you do here?

I know balls 'settling' and falling in a pocket should be restored, but what about in this situation where it settled during play and affected the course of the cue ball??

In this particular situation for this big game with cameras if I were the ref i think i'd rule to restore those balls and redo the shot.

Thoughts?
I've always wondered what the ruling would be if a ball falls into a pocket while someone is shooting or during a shot...what did they rule on that?
Old 08-26-2019, 06:00 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_kid View Post
I've always wondered what the ruling would be if a ball falls into a pocket while someone is shooting or during a shot...what did they rule on that?
I believe they made them replay the rack with same person breaking as before. (Warren)
Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Verified Member

Default WPA Rules

1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections
in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal
hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of
such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls
into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will
restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting
while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:49 PM
Verified Member

Default Prior rule

As recently as 2007 the WPA rules (I have an old hard copy) specified that if a ball fell after 5 seconds it was to be replaced. I didn't see that in the current rules.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:53 PM
Verified Member

Found it:

8.3 Ball Pocketed

A ball is pocketed if it comes to rest in a pocket below the playing surface or enters the ball
return system. A ball near the brink of a pocket partly supported by another ball is considered
pocketed if removal of the supporting ball would cause the ball to fall into the pocket.
If a ball stops near the edge of a pocket, and remains apparently motionless for five seconds, it
is not considered pocketed if it later falls into the pocket by itself. See 1.7 Balls Settling for
other details. During that five second period, the referee should ensure that no other shot is
taken. An object ball that rebounds from a pocket back onto the playing surface is not a
pocketed ball. If the cue ball contacts an already pocketed ball, the cue ball will be
considered pocketed whether it rebounds from the pocket or not. The referee will remove
pocketed object balls from full or nearly full pockets, but it is the shooter’s responsibility to
see that this duty is performed.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
1.7 Balls Settling

A ball may settle slightly after it appears to have stopped, possibly due to slight imperfections
in the ball or the table. Unless this causes a ball to fall into a pocket, it is considered a normal
hazard of play, and the ball will not be moved back. If a ball falls into a pocket as the result of
such settling, it is restored as closely as possible to its original position. If a settling ball falls
into a pocket during or just prior to a shot, and this has an effect on the shot, the referee will
restore the position and the shot will be replayed. The shooter is not penalized for shooting
while a ball is settling. See also 8.3 Ball Pocketed.
Thanks Cary.
Glad my logic was right. Restoring the position seemed like the fairest thing to do if it was possible.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:28 AM
Verified Member

I couldn't see anything except the guy scratching.

Rodney Stephens.
(e-mail) rod.stephens0105@att.net(e-mail) #713-973-0503 is now working
Old 08-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by androd View Post
I couldn't see anything except the guy scratching.
haha, me too at first.

"what in the hell are these guys talking about??"
Old 09-07-2019, 12:57 PM
Verified Member

I watched a guy shoot in a hanger in a game of golf once and as the cb rolled the ob fell into the pocket. The cb lipped out on the corners and they marked a hickie up for him.