Go Back   OnePocket.org Forums > One Pocket Forum
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2019, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Default Preferred format for our MOT

So what do you all want?

This would be a multiple choice poll, something like this:
  1. Standard double elimination format races to 3, finals a single race with hot seat winner getting the first break (alternate break after that first game)
  2. Round robin preliminary flights, bracket final X number of players
  3. All round robin all the way through
  4. "Chip" tournament, followed by a bracket final X number of players

I can set up a poll like this, but I am not as versed in all these options, so I am inviting advocates to "pitch their plan" so to speak. I believe darmoose and Dennis "Whitey" Young had a good grip on RR options, and Mark youngstown kid knows the "chip" format. Can you help me out here, and I will set up the poll once the options are spelled out as their advocates would like to see them spelled out? Thank you!!
Old 09-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Verified Member

Well, just to get you started Steve, I would like to see us play a Round Robin tournament.

32 players....4 groups of 8 players, playing a set of 3 games with everyone else in their group. gives everyone 21 games to play over Friday and Saturday. Play something like 9 games on friday and 12 games on saturday. Play until you complete the required 21 games, or you can forfeit if you like.

Sunday take two player from each group to play a elimination finale, we can work out whether it is a single or double eliminatio

Old 09-30-2019, 10:36 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darmoose View Post
Well, just to get you started Steve, I would like to see us play a Round Robin tournament.

32 players....4 groups of 8 players, playing a set of 3 games with everyone else in their group. gives everyone 21 games to play over Friday and Saturday. Play something like 9 games on friday and 12 games on saturday. Play until you complete the required 21 games, or you can forfeit if you like.

Sunday take two player from each group to play a elimination finale, we can work out whether it is a single or double eliminatio

How does this work if thereís only 30 players? We all know about buys in a regular format but in a round robin I have no idea how that would work when qualifying to advance out of a group.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Steve View Post
So what do you all want?

This would be a multiple choice poll, something like this:
  1. Standard double elimination format races to 3, finals a single race with hot seat winner getting the first break (alternate break after that first game)
  2. Round robin preliminary flights, bracket final X number of players
  3. All round robin all the way through
  4. "Chip" tournament, followed by a bracket final X number of players

I can set up a poll like this, but I am not as versed in all these options, so I am inviting advocates to "pitch their plan" so to speak. I believe darmoose and Dennis "Whitey" Young had a good grip on RR options, and Mark youngstown kid knows the "chip" format. Can you help me out here, and I will set up the poll once the options are spelled out as their advocates would like to see them spelled out? Thank you!!
IMO it has been very successful the way it is. I would be thrilled to be near the finals any time they are played. There are always people that like to put their on own spin and change things, and sometimes that is good, but this old guy believes if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it and IMO it ain’t broke. Number 1 for me.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
How does this work if thereís only 30 players? We all know about buys in a regular format but in a round robin I have no idea how that would work when qualifying to advance out of a group.
How are you, Jim.

In your example we would probably divide into 5 groups of six players, could play 3 games with each other giving us 15 games per player, or 4 games with each other player giving us 20 games per player.

would have to decide whether to take 1 or 2 from each group into Sunday finals and how to break ties, not too difficult.

off to play some OP.....
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 PM
Verified Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
IMO it has been very successful the way it is. I would be thrilled to be near the finals any time they are played. There are always people that like to put their on own spin and change things, and sometimes that is good, but this old guy believes if it ainít broke, donít fix it and IMO it ainít broke. Number 1 for me.
John,

I agree
Old 09-30-2019, 12:23 PM
Verified Member

Looks like we have at least a few who are interested in a RR . I'm assuming one of the RR advocates would volunteer to be the TD of a RR tournament?
Old 09-30-2019, 01:21 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
IMO it has been very successful the way it is. I would be thrilled to be near the finals any time they are played. There are always people that like to put their on own spin and change things, and sometimes that is good, but this old guy believes if it ainít broke, donít fix it and IMO it ainít broke. Number 1 for me.
Great minds think alike
Old 09-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Verified Member

I was at the first 2, missed the last 2. I plan on being at the 2020 MOT.

I am easy, any format is good with me but if I had to pick, #1 but I wish we could make it where the finals were finishing earlier on Sunday to help people who need to make flights and what not.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:11 PM
Verified Member

Dennis "WhitDennis "Whitey" Young
Verified Member

It seems this is winding on down. This is the format I like that gives a fair amount of play but will not run late into the night.
---
4 groups of 8 players playing each other player 2 games for 7rds. = 14 games.
Based on 45min.-1hr/game = 10-1/2 hrs.-14hrs. of playing time.
----
Friday; play 3 rds. (4-1/2 hrs. - 6hrs.) from 1pm to 5pm-7pm. Then evaluate whether to play another rd. based on players wishes to suspend play or not. They may favor to socialize, match up, play golf, billiards, and 5 breaks for 5 bucks! LOL!
---
Saturday; say play starts @ 10 am and the evaluation is favorable then players may decide they want to play each player 3 games each over the remaining 3 or 4 rds. The RR would end approx. @ 3-6pm. depending.
---
Sat. con't.; taking 4 top finishers from each group, 16 players, they then play one rd. race to 3 to get to 8 players remaining.
---
Sun. A-8 player single elimination tournament to decide the winner. This is 3 rds. of play so the race can be determined!
----
IMHO I feel players want a good mixture of tournament play & social time & not to be burnt out! So with this consideration, Fri. 3 rds. & Sat. 4 rds. playing each player twice may be the way to go, for the remaining 16 players it is a long day. Of course this depends on the evaluation on Friday.

The evaluation on Friday could help in predicting ties, if it is foreseen as there being a fair amount of ties and if players would want to play off ties then this might be a good reason to stay to 2 games played against each player.

I want to thank all the members who participated, and especially Tobermory for his emphatically expressed post on a previous thread, stating; "we really need to go to RR", this made me realize that we needed more than single voices shouting in the wind! Thanks, it has been a great discussion! ey" Young

This is taken from my RR thread on page 35. Not sure why it resulted in blue.
This format maintains a 50% chance of advancing from rd. of 32 and rd. of 16, just like a normal 3/3 double elimination tournament. Resulting in a single elimination of 8 players for Sundays final. 8 players for Sunday is perfect when considering the money payout, and this as Steve has stated is his preferred Sunday final.
Those players making it to the Sundays Final will have played 10 different players.
I wanted to copy and paste this entire post for it gives a complete break down of how to proceed, and I believe this would be very helpful for Steve.
I'll rewrite and post it in a condensed form and that way it is in black. Whitey

Last edited by Dennis "Whitey" Young; 09-30-2019 at 02:22 PM.