'Legends of Bank Pool' Nominations

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
These names are all so new to me. Coming from the North East, banks was a game NOBODY played in my area. I never played it til I moved to Florida....Gerry

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
Legends of Bank Pool Nominations

Legends of Bank Pool Nominations

I am using Fred's list of nominees:

Eddie Taylor, nuff said
Leonard Bugs Rucker, uncontested champ for 20 yrs
John Cannonball Lefty Chapman (played even with Youngblood)
Javenly Youngblood Washington (spotted Bugs 10 to 8 for years)
Truman Hogue
Donnie Anderson
Gary Speith
Fred Bentivegna

I've added Fred's name to the list because I think that he deserves to be there based on his experiences as well as his being the writer of the book "Banking With The Beard" which I feel is one of the best books on banks ever published.

Congratulations Fred, you deserve to be on the list. :) :) :)

Smitty

hemicudas

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Miss.
Mark Jarvis and Kenny Romburg Remus

Mark Jarvis and Kenny Romburg Remus

I agree with all that have been mentioned. The two I believe that have been left out are:

Mark Jarvis - Banks

and

Kenny "Romburg" Remus - Banks and One Pocket

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Forced to agree

Forced to agree

hemicudas said:
I agree with all that have been mentioned. The two I believe that have been left out are:

Mark Jarvis - Banks

and

Kenny "Romburg" Remus - Banks and One Pocket

Bill, I am forced to agree with you. Jarvis was a student of mine when he was 16 yrs old and went around the country beating the top bankers. Romberg Remus and I tangled countless times, and he also took on all comers (except Bugs, he was in awe of Bugs).
I want to take this time to elaborate on what I just said. I believe the criteria for Bank recognition should go to those who went around and sought out the best bankers and played with them on strange equipment and for big money. While many of the top pool players like Varner, Rempe, B Hall and others have beaten top bankers at one time or another. The victory usually occurred on home court and was probably a short session. For example, I never beat Jimmy Rempe playings banks for $40 a game, he robbed me twice, but he only played when he felt like it, on neutral court and for small money. It's not the same as walking into Bensingers and putting up big money and locking horns with me for a couple of days. That, he and many others never did. The people I nominated were Gunfighters, they played to win money, but they also competed for honor and pride.
the Beard

drw

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I almost forgot, Tony "Fargo" Ferguson who once barbecued Bugs Rucker in S.Car.
Another guy who deserves if for no other reason than heart and competitive spirit, is Tony "Banks" Coleman, from Benton Harbor MI. Tony has taken on all bankers, and played for whatever they wanted to play for. He was even dumb enough to try and spot Efren Reyes.
the Beard

I'll probably think of a few more.
Fred B,
Was Tony coleman ever known by the nick name Benton Harbor Tony? If so, I ran into him in Niles, MI in the late 70's with Dick Weaver. Played okay then, but went down to TN for awhile and hooked up with some deep pocket people that put him in action constantly and played extremely better a year or so later.

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
FREDDY, MAYBE YOU KNOW THIS GUY , CHARLIE GREEN TOLD ME THERE WAS A GUY NAMED DAVE THAT PLAYED BETTER THAN BUGS AND YOUNG BLOOD . COULD SPOT THEM BOTH , NEVER LEFT THE POOLROOM HE PLAYED IN . YOU KNOW A HOME COURT CHAMPION ! i DONT THINK CHARLIE KNEW HIS LAST NAME AND HE DID'NT EVEN TELL ME THE ROOM HE PLAYED AT . BY THE WAY CHARLIE PLAYED SOME GREAT BANKS AT THE GOLDEN EIGHT BALL ON THOSE TRICK TABLES . BY THE WAY YOU GET NOMINATED FOR BEING IN MORE WARS THAN ANYONE ELSE AND SURVIVING ! PRETTY HARD TO PLAY BANKS IN CHICAGO . THE SHORTSTOPS CAN HUSTLE IN ANY OTHER CITY AND COME OUT WINNER . CHICAGO IS KING WHEN IT COMES TO BANKS ! THINK IF ARTIE COULD HAVE BANKED LIKE YOU ! PHIL

opposedtwin

Verified Member
From
Tennessee
Bank Pool HOF nominees

Bank Pool HOF nominees

I believe Vernon Elliotts name should be the first list of nominees. He was definetly known for high stakes games and few to none were his equal in banks. Just ask the people who were nominated if they went looking for Vernon or if he was more likely to come looking for them when the bet was high. Vernon played most of those mentioned and more than once. Ask who took home the money.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Coulda been Hank from NY

Coulda been Hank from NY

philip guagliardo said:
FREDDY, MAYBE YOU KNOW THIS GUY , CHARLIE GREEN TOLD ME THERE WAS A GUY NAMED DAVE THAT PLAYED BETTER THAN BUGS AND YOUNG BLOOD . COULD SPOT THEM BOTH , NEVER LEFT THE POOLROOM HE PLAYED IN . YOU KNOW A HOME COURT CHAMPION ! i DONT THINK CHARLIE KNEW HIS LAST NAME AND HE DID'NT EVEN TELL ME THE ROOM HE PLAYED AT . BY THE WAY CHARLIE PLAYED SOME GREAT BANKS AT THE GOLDEN EIGHT BALL ON THOSE TRICK TABLES . BY THE WAY YOU GET NOMINATED FOR BEING IN MORE WARS THAN ANYONE ELSE AND SURVIVING ! PRETTY HARD TO PLAY BANKS IN CHICAGO . THE SHORTSTOPS CAN HUSTLE IN ANY OTHER CITY AND COME OUT WINNER . CHICAGO IS KING WHEN IT COMES TO BANKS ! THINK IF ARTIE COULD HAVE BANKED LIKE YOU ! PHIL
Phil, Charlie might have been talking about Hank from NY. I have his last name somewhere. I seen him play Eddie Taylor to a draw playing banks on 51st and Indiana. He played real hard and safe and Bugs avoided him. Youngblood avoided nobody.
Freddy

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My bank Legends nomination

My bank Legends nomination

I want to thank all of you who have nominated me for the Bank Legends. However, I noticed I was categorized by some as "entertaining" and a "contributor" to the game because on my bank instruction book. If the only reason you are going to vote for me is because I tell funny stories, or because I wrote a bank pool book, save your vote. If I got in, and I would consider it a great honor to do so, I want it to be for hunting down, playing, and beating some of the best bankers in the world for 40 years. There are only 3 guys on all the lists that I never beat at one time or another, Taylor, Old Youngblood, and Corn Bread, and there was no shame in that. This is an open forum, so whoever wants to dispute that, put it up on here. That aside, thanks again to those who nominated me, and good luck to all the other great guys that we have talked about.
Bank on, brothers. Old school pool.
the Beard

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
fred bentivegna said:
I want to thank all of you who have nominated me for the Bank Legends. However, I noticed I was categorized by some as "entertaining" and a "contributor" to the game because on my bank instruction book. If the only reason you are going to vote for me is because I tell funny stories, or because I wrote a bank pool book, save your vote. If I got in, and I would consider it a great honor to do so, I want it to be for hunting down, playing, and beating some of the best bankers in the world for 40 years. There are only 3 guys on all the lists that I never beat at one time or another, Taylor, Old Youngblood, and Corn Bread, and there was no shame in that. This is an open forum, so whoever wants to dispute that, put it up on here. That aside, thanks again to those who nominated me, and good luck to all the other great guys that we have talked about.
the Beard

I for one put names on my list of people that were banking SOB's, you included.

Don't forget that most people really don't know a whole lot about the "seedy" side of pool where the real names were made. They really can't comprehend that "champions" would duck people that they never ever heard of.

P.S. To Freddie
I don't think Brumback is as young as you think, although to all you "old" guys everyone is a kid now.

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Banks nominees

Banks nominees

Freddie is a worthy candidate, for sure. Someone put my name down but I'm not qualified. The best Bank Pool players in the world could play me 9 to 7 and it'd be close. I had my moments, like the time I gave Buddy 9 to 8 and won but on a day to day basis I never played the game at the championship level.
There is probably less luck at Banks than any other discipline. I think the home court edge is greater at Banks than other games, too, for obvious reasons.
I'm delighted to see this worthwhile project starting. Bank players never made any money or gained recognition, yet their craft required real knowledge and skill. Let me know if I may be of assistance.

philip guagliardo

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
the Beard
let me echo freddy's post ! I've seen freddy play for 40 years and he never really ducked anybody and beat everybody in chicago at one time . players like bugs and many others he played knew they were in for a war ! I personally feel that if he had chosen to specialize in bank pool he would have been a much stronger player , but freddy played all games and really never devoted himself to one game . he had success with one pocket because he moved well and banked good . he was'nt the greatest shotmaker but his knowledge of the game made up for that with some players he played . but all in all freddy bankpool game sometimes was as good as it gets ! i've seen freddy play great one pocket at the rack in detroit . he was in the best stroke i ever seen him in . and the bet never bothered freddy thats for sure . I know when a guy has dog in him cause the bet is too big ! freddy never really had any dog in him . and he truly belongs in the hall of fame for his bank game period ! but if there was a hall of fame for stories he would be a mortal lock cinch to be inducted ! freddy never lost when I staked him or bet on him . and believe me I put a lot of pressure on a player for my cash ! you know I need that cash for the next race . race track phil

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
Hey Freddy,
In the "Winning One Pocket" book Bugs says that he first learned one pocket from Youngblood as well as two other black players whose names I've never seen or heard mentioned anywhere else: Odie Barber and "58th Street Fats".

Did you know these players?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I think you mean Odel

I think you mean Odel

BackPocket9Ball said:
Hey Freddy,
In the "Winning One Pocket" book Bugs says that he first learned one pocket from Youngblood as well as two other black players whose names I've never seen or heard mentioned anywhere else: Odie Barber and "58th Street Fats".

Did you know these players?

I think Odie is Odel, who is still alive and well and 90 plus. A good friend. Fats I heard of but never played and didnt know well.
the Beard

Chuck Raulston

Bank Players

Bank Players

I definitely think Tony Fargo should be a candidate. I have had much first-hand experience around Tony and I believe he deserves the credit. I have been thoroughly impressed with John Brumback's bank game the last two years in Louisville. He almost never misses a bank he is shooting at, and he plays position very well. Another player that maybe shouldn't make the list but is known as a great banker is Toby Flahtery(sp), for I know he has beaten Fargo even previously. I have also heard a lot of Gary Spaeth's abilities, but never witnessed it. Just a few off the top of my head.

Chuck Raulston

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Who were these guys?

Who were these guys?

From Buddy's biography-...and they serve as a further compliment for two un-sung heroes of bank- pool. Taylor reported that his toughest opponents were Bob Boles, and another elderly man known to Eddie only as "Kentuck". They were men who didn't leave their home towns to hustle pool, and anyone that's ever seen Taylor bank balls would have to know that the skill level of these men must have been awesome, for them to have been ranked, by Taylor himself, as his toughest opponents.