Teh Rag As A Move

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
in my thread grady vs parica i mention that grady asked for a rag to use to shoot the q that was in the corner pocket.
since that thread did not get much interest
thanks greg :) for you contribution(nice shot by the way)

i thought id post this here and ask you guys to comment on its merits or lack thereof
gp2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I don't see anything wrong with it, but I don't think the tourney director is obligated to furnish the rag. Bring your own. Tear a piece off your shorts, if necessary. :eek:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
but still how does it help??? and i guess its legal BUT
you guys that play for big cash would you let your opponent get away with that????

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
lll said:
but still how does it help??? and i guess its legal BUT
you guys that play for big cash would you let your opponent get away with that????
I wonder if Grady did it to protect his stick -- from the pocket hardware.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
hardware

hardware

Looks like a leather corner. Not a GC. obviously.Parica is a known very fair player unlike some up there.Could of been something funky on the rail but I have never seen a player ask for this though Billy or Freddie or SJD probably have,cheers,B

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the commentaors said in advance they thought what was happening was he was asking for a rag.
so they knew the move
come on guys fess up tell us about it.
billy. beard ,dick denis ,rod ,beatle, srokerace, ghost you guys have been around the block
how bout GRADY come on tell us about it.

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
When you have chrome castings on tables you get a reflection from lights in certain spots so you cover the casting up.

Its like someone shining a flashlight at you while you're shooting.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
stevelomako said:
When you have chrome castings on tables you get a reflection from lights in certain spots so you cover the casting up.

Its like someone shining a flashlight at you while you're shooting.

Steve L., while you are here.. please remember to post the Az Room info...mailing address, etc..

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
the commentaors said in advance they thought what was happening was he was asking for a rag.
so they knew the move
come on guys fess up tell us about it.
billy. beard ,dick denis ,rod ,beatle, srokerace, ghost you guys have been around the block
how bout GRADY come on tell us about it.

Never seen it or anything like it. Just another nutcase move, as long as it doesn't touch anything who cares ? :p
Rod.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
lll said:
in my thread grady vs parica i mention that grady asked for a rag to use to shoot the q that was in the corner pocket.

i thought id post this here and ask you guys to comment on its merits or lack thereof.
I don't see anything wrong with it. After all, we are permitted to use bridges, pool gloves, talc, etc. Some rooms even have a practice of placing a small swatch of cloth underneath the CB when breaking. And years back they used to use a piece of pool cloth attached to the rack which would be placed underneath when racking the balls. When you slid the rack up to the spot, the attached cloth would slide out from underneath.

I've used a rag occasionally when shooting on Kim Steels, or other tables that have the soft rubber pocket borders. They leave a sticky residue on the shaft, which isn't easy to wipe off.

Doc

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
NH Steve said:
I wonder if Grady did it to protect his stick -- from the pocket hardware.
This is the reason I do it. Also sometimes where the pocket ends and the rails begins it makes it difficult to lay your stick down smoothly. The towel makes the surface even. I've never complained when someone has done it.

Some linings on the pockets will leave a long black line on your stick.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
lll said:

i thought id post this here and ask you guys to comment on its merits or lack thereof
View attachment 1628

If the pocket is made of rubber it allows you cue to slide smoothly. I do it myself.

mosconiac

Verified Member
I remember older Brunswicks leaving black streaks on my cue. IMO, Grady was being smart & trying to prevent that. With that said, he was playing on a Kim Steel & they do not exhibit that tendency as the pocket liner is like a hard plastic, not rubbery. My KS has never left a mark on my cues.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above before I responded, sorry.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
i spoke to grady and he said it was to protect his cue.
thanks for the replies guys

mosconiac said:
I remember older Brunswicks leaving black streaks on my cue. IMO, Grady was being smart & trying to prevent that. With that said, he was playing on a Kim Steel & they do not exhibit that tendency as the pocket liner is like a hard plastic, not rubbery. My KS has never left a mark on my cues.

EDIT: Didn't see the post above before I responded, sorry.

Well in the pic's the cue is resting on his hand, not on the pocket or rail. :p
Maybe he didn't want to get his hand dirty.
Rod.

Deeman

Verified Member
I use one on occasion when shooting one handed. Of course, in a gamble that is understood before the games begin! :) For me, it is near impossible to rest your cue steady on a GC at the corners but also can make the stick slide a little more predictably when one handing it. I did have a guy specify, in Tennessee (our pal Bobby Pickle), that I would, at no time, touch the cue with my other hand as he felt that gave me an "adjustment" advantage. The cloth will "give" enough to allow a little indentation that the cue will stay in on the stroke.

Now, I know that was much more than anyone wanted to know. I'll get back on the meds now! :)

DeeMan

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Many players think it is ok to use a piece of cloth or towel to cover the bright reflective light on the corner pockets covers. As Grady stated, he was using it to protect his cue.

Strict rules state that they only allowable devices that can be approved for tournament play have to be approved by the WPA. I doubt that the WPA has approved the use of a towel in the performance of a shot.

Then again, funnier devices have been DQ'd... remember Earl's finger lifts?

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
Just my .02....

I have used a cloth/napkin in the event of the pocket not allowing the cue to rest properly on the table due to the edge of the pocket forcing the cue to roll over slightly. Sometimes it is necessary.

I have played others that did it and I never have a problem with it.

In tournament play, the rag cannot contact the playing surface, which the photo reveals that rule was broken.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
I've tried looking through all my old and current rule books for your exception noted. I cannot find this rule stipulation anywhere. Maybe I just didn't look close enough, or maybe it is covered by a rule I am not familiar with.

Please point me in the direction where I can find this rule.

newfosgatesucks said:
In tournament play, the rag cannot contact the playing surface, which the photo reveals that rule was broken.